Wolfenstein (not an ID Software game) *spawn*

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Cyan, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

Have you played Wolfenstein? I am quite curious..

2. Scott_Arm

Legend

Wolfenstein was a very popular game. I eventually plan on playing it.

Cyan likes this.
  3. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

W:TNO was my GOTY contender of last year. Fantastic game and a highly enjoyable platinum on PS4.

Cyan likes this.
  4. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

Lucky me, I got 2 weeks ago, during the Black Friday sale. Both Wolfenstein games are regularly priced at 80€ -both games, not per game- and I got them paying 18€! :shocked::shocked: My best purchase in a long while, what a great game.

I agree with that, it's one of the most enjoyable games of this generation, along with Diablo 3 and Life is Strange, for me at least.

As I said in a different thread, Wolfenstein is very old school and kinda "innovative" and original, and has a priceless campaign.

5. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

6. RenegadeRocks

Legend

I love Wolfenstein THO, but its made by Machine Games , not iD.

BRiT likes this.
  7. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

That's the only reason you're able to play it so soon.

Silent_Buddha and BRiT like this.
  8. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

lol the drive-bys lately LOL

TheAlSpark likes this.
  9. Nisaaru

Regular

RTCW 2001? Yes
    Wolvenstein 2009? No
    New Order Yes, but it's a game with a direction/artwork/narration/level design far above its actual technical implementation. I consider its gunplay/game mechanics substandard for a game released in the last 10 years. Something they labeled "old-school" didn't even reach F.E.A.R. gunplay/mechanics from 2005.

But all these Wolfenstein titles only use ID's gfx engine so I'm not sure what you're trying to point out...

10. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

I thought it was iD's, they are just publishing the game, I get..so moving on with that.

I don't agree with the gameplay mechanics being substandard. Can you define that? Because I haven't played a FPS this generation that made me feel better playing than this one, gameplay wise, maybe it's just me, but the 60 fps help to enhance the experience even more.

11. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Oh boy. You're right. It needed the charming-but-glitchy jump kicking! I played FEAR again fairly recently and while I love that game I wouldn't put it on par with Wolfenstein New Order. It's mostly one long dark corridor. Shooting is pretty solid but I feel it still has a little of that classic Lithtech weirdness.

Wolfenstein 2009 was different. Raven tried to do something interesting with the hub idea but it didn't really pan out. It's not well designed for PC gamers either (FoV and other things). New Order uses a few characters from it. I was surprised to discover it is idTech4. I figured it was UE3 until I looked it up.

#11 swaaye, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  12. Nisaaru

Regular

The usage of weapons felt clunky to me as the movement. F.E.A.R., an "old school" shooter, had a real natural weapon feel for its age which I would expect this game should have at least reached. The sequences where battles had a Matrix like feeling when you could destroy parts of the environment had a visceral feeling Wolfenstein felt stale in comparison.

But my main issue was how most of the battles played out in reality. For instance when you're using the energy weapons to deal with enemies the low ammo forced me to permanently backtrack to the energy station for a reload. There was no real flow to battles that way. Maybe it was my game style but then this game forced this on me and not vice versa.

The "stealth" elements of the game were an utter disgrace and felt more like a parody. I had just played Splinter Cell Blacklist before and this game was just smooth and slick in whatever you did. The game mechanics gap was staggering.

Then there were the technical issue with the weapon wheel which caused a lot bogus selections because it was so cluttered. Each wrong selection needed a reset of the primary/secondary. They could have minimized that problem by not putting the dual setups there at all but only allowed this by d-pad. This really annoyed me as it was so unnecessary.

A few game situations were broken/weird. When you landed back on earth and had to fight through the room and died you lost all your weapons/ammo and the weapon pack at the landing zone too. So you had to fight through this with close to nothing. I think the game also lost some item there I couldn't recover anymore for completeness. IMHO a bug.

The final boss fight underground also felt "unpolished" because it seems to only be survivable if you forced the boss into an environment position the "AI" didn't allow him to walk from anymore.

So my conclusion of the game is that the narration/level design was really entertaining. It was also long which most campaigns these days unfortunately aren't. But the technical implementation were a disappointment to me.

13. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

Give the expansion Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, a try, you might actually enjoy it. I have both the original and the expansion, and people love the Old Blood, although I haven't got there yet.

14. Lefungus

Regular Newcomer

Thumbs up for Wolfenstein New Order, I really enjoyed it.
    I didn't play The Old Blood, but it looks like I'm missing something !

15. swaaye

Legend

I finally finished The Old Blood a few weeks ago. It is solid but didn't seem fresh enough to keep my interest like New Order did. I think it's worth playing though. I enjoyed some of the new characters and locations.

Does Doom still have the megatexture texture pop-in?

#15 swaaye, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  16. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

*ahem* Console Section *ahem*

Akumajou likes this.
  17. swaaye

Legend

On console, megatexture pops you in!!!!!

Billy Idol likes this.
  18. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

Not on the Xbox One, at least not on Wolfenstein The New Order. I usually concentrate when I play and haven't noticed a single instance where there is pop-in, and iirc, DF article didn't mention much on the issue, X1 wise

19. swaaye

Legend

Yeah when playing the idtech5 games with a gamepad I've noticed the pop in is almost nonexistent. With a mouse you can snap turn so fast the engine can't keep up.

Cyan likes this.
  20. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Also depends on how it's loading the textures. Nvidia has acceleration which helps but if you've got a slow CPU/dual core then it will be a lot worse.