Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem (Diablo style ARPG)

I could have sworn I'd posted about this here before. [Edit - found it, had to look in my e-mail archive to see that it changed its name]

I kickstarted this back in 2015. Back then it was called Umbra. This was the thread I created back then (https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/umbra-kickstarter.56864/ ).

For the first 3 years or so the project was pretty janky and I wondered if this indie studio would be able to pull off such an ambitious project. They gave out alpha/beta keys back in 2016 to those of us that Kickstarted the game and it eventually opened up to more people through early access on Steam.

Well, the good news is that it appears they have. The game is fantastic. Looks great and the control feel is fantastic. I've popped into it from time to time just to see their progress, but have tried to avoid playing it until release.

Well, for anyone interested in a Diablo style ARPG, the game officially launches tomorrow. So, that's when I'll try to come up with some time to play through the game. Been hearing good things about the campaign so I'm excited.

So, this means that the only remaining games that I've crowd funded that hasn't released yet is Wasteland 3 and Star Citizen. I think I know which one will have a retail release first. :)

Anyway, I just wanted to let people know about this and give a huge kudos to Wolcen Studio (formerly SolarFall Games during their Kickstarter) for getting to the release milestone. Also a huge kudos for not launching early (other than early access) and for the game being so relatively well polished.

That's not something you see too often with indie Kickstarter games. And honestly, at the state the game was in after 3 years of development, I was thinking this would be another failed project by an Indie developer with ambitions larger than their ability. I'm really happy to see them persevere. :)

PS - the graphics are really good for an ARPG. And for an indie CryEngine game, the performance is great and the controls are very responsive.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Man, I'm so glad this is on Steam and not on another platform that I shall not name.

Launch the game now that it's officially released and kept getting authentication errors. Their webserver is getting hammered due to release so it's hard to get updates on whether this is a problem with Steam, the game, or my ISP.

Thankfully, Steam has this nice feature where the developer can post updates. Yay, Steam. So, yeah, there is much greater demand for the game than the developer expected and their servers (not Steam's servers) are getting hammered right now. Thankfully, the game will default to offline mode if it can't authenticate with either Steam or their own servers.

We’re closely monitoring the release and we’re aware that there are issues with the servers and authentification. This is caused by the overwhelming success of the game, and we’re working with our partners to increase server capacities and fix authentification issues as soon as possible.

So, unfortunate that it's happening. OTOH - I'm glad for this indie dev. that their game has virtually exploded in popularity due to Twitch Streamers that they are getting hammered.

Regards,
SB

Man, I'm so glad this is on Steam and not on another platform that I shall not name.

Launch the game now that it's officially released and kept getting authentication errors. Their webserver is getting hammered due to release so it's hard to get updates on whether this is a problem with Steam, the game, or my ISP.

Thankfully, Steam has this nice feature where the developer can post updates. Yay, Steam. So, yeah, there is much greater demand for the game than the developer expected and their servers (not Steam's servers) are getting hammered right now. Thankfully, the game will default to offline mode if it can't authenticate with either Steam or their own servers.

So, unfortunate that it's happening. OTOH - I'm glad for this indie dev. that their game has virtually exploded in popularity due to Twitch Streamers that they are getting hammered.

Regards,
SB
does it start with e? As for the game, I usually love this type of game. In fact, I am not a big fan of Minecraft but the new Diablo based -gameplay wise- Minecraft game that will be on gamepass is a game that I want to play badly.

Back