Witcher is driving me mad ...

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by MfA, Jan 10, 2010.

1. MfA

MfA
    Legend

Witcher has made post-cutscene and post loading screen fights an art, lots of them, slow drawing of weapons, piles of enemies within striking distance with their weapons already drawn while you are still distracted from the fade-in or bored from the loading ... the works.

They went one better though ... they found a way to bring this old gameplay gem into the game even without cutscenes. By introducing non combat zones where you could not draw a weapon and your power preset is wiped and transforming them into combat zones for the enemy when they decided they wanted to attack you in an extremely fluent transition (for the NPC).

Even then they were not satisfied ... how about a monster which sometimes hides long enough underground to have the game automatically put away your sword? (It's not that there aren't ways of preventing it from happening, but I really shouldn't have to work at keeping my sword ready.)

God damn CDProject ... they know how to make a nice game, but their ideas on how to design difficulty into combat scenarios is sometimes just plain retarded. I don't pay to have to fight the UI and play quicktime events after cutscenes and loading screens, that's not interesting gameplay.

#1 MfA, Jan 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2010
  2. Mobius1aic

Mobius1aic Quo vadis?
    Veteran

I've played an hour or so into it, and my current issue is the graphics glitching out the ass on Win7 64, and it got worse after I patched it. I need to try it on XP, and see if it fixes itself on there.

3. suryad

Veteran

Interesting about the graphics glitching as I was considering reinstalling the game and playing it all over again. Its a good feeling being Geralt. :)

4. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Hmm.. better to finish it off while I am on Vista as it is solid.

5. Padawan

Newcomer

It works fine in XP and Vista (64-bit also).

6. Lidve

Newcomer

Although it did have its problems (long loading times, no jump, etc) i really enjoyed witcher quite a bit

But i had to format PC and when i installed windows 7 strange bugs occurred and rendered game impossible to play ... i think i have saves somewhere backed up so i hope someone will release patch soon

7. suryad

Veteran

Hmm I never had issues with long loads and such. I thought they were all resolved weren't they with all the patches and so on? I may be mistaken but they are not actively fixing bugs for the game are they? I think they have pretty much gotten the game as polished as it can get....well barring the visual glitches you are seeing ni Win7.

Not to stray off topic but I have seen that the beta of Win 7 > RC of Win 7 > final release of Win 7. In terms of overall performance and some other stuff I dont want to get in to at the moment.

8. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

I'm playing it on W7 64bit Cat.9.12Beta with no major problems.
    Mind you I have Enhanced Edition from Steam so it is up to date.

Also if you're on older Cats. then there were reports of major GFX glitches.

Time to slay some monsters :twisted:

9. suryad

Veteran

Thats really good to hear as I have been itching to try that game out. This time I will try to fight as many monsters as I can so I can max out Geralt and see if that is even possibly allowed by the game!

10. Mobius1aic

Mobius1aic Quo vadis?
    Veteran

It was my graphics drivers. I updated them a couple days ago and everything is now pretty much flawless.

11. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

Good! :smile: