Witcher 3 supports GPU PhysX + TXAA

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by TheAlSpark, Jun 13, 2013.

1. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

2. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

Looks great!

Now they just need to open up that GPU PhysX to other vendors and all will be good :)

3. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

I just ordered Witcher 1 since I got it free after rebate :) I am so behind the times.

4. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

Don't worry, Witcher 1 is still awesome. Better than Witcher 2 if you ask me.

5. Wynix

Veteran Regular

I still haven't finished the witcher 2, i think i only got up to the dwarf village before i lost interest.

6. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

What is wrong with you people?

7. HMBR

Regular

It's a shame GPU Physx only works with Nvidia hardware, I would rather see something like TressFX (DirectCompute or OpenCL) which works with any GPU (Intel, NV, AMD), even if performance is a little lower... but I guess it makes more sense to NV to claim this kind of advantage, but since the game is multiplatform I doubt the advantage of NVGPU Physx will be to significant.

as for Witcher, I enjoyed the first and second game, but I still think apart from visuals the first was a better game, bigger, more diverse, more interesting.. let's see what they can do with Witcher 3, it's a much bigger world, let's just hope it doesn't feel to empty.

8. Svensk Viking

Regular

What really is over-the-top IMO is that Nvidia even blocks their own GPUs from being used for dedicated PhysX if the main GPU is from AMD.

I also preferred TW1 more than TW2

9. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

So where is a list of witcher 1 mods I should install before I play it? I have the enhanced edition coming whatever that is.

10. Jedi2016

Veteran

I started playing TW2 a while back, but then it got to where the game just stopped working, so I uninstalled it and never got around to reinstalling it after that.

Any idea if this tech will make it to the next-gen consoles, or will it be PC exclusive?

11. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Well, if there is no OCL or DC version of the stuff they are using hardware PhysX for, I won't be buying this game.

And that's considering I'm seriously considering buying an Nvidia card right now.

It's things like this that sometimes make me seriously wish I could go console only for my gaming.

Regards,
    SB

12. Davros

Legend

Noooo, (echo - fade)
    Buddha has been possessed by an evil spirit, we must perform an exorcism

The power of P.C Gaming Compels You, The power of P.C Gaming Compels You
    [​IMG]

13. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Ooooh, System Shock 2. Mmmmm. :)

No, I'm not giving up PC gaming in the forseeable future, but shit like this with Hardware PhysX when open standards are available now really make me want to go console gaming only.

Now, if there's an OCL or DC version of the same effects (even if it performs worse on competitors hardware as long as it isn't artificially hampered), then it doesn't matter to me, but I get the feeling there won't be.

Regards,
    SB

14. DuckThor Evil

DuckThor Evil Anas platyrhynchos
    Legend Veteran

Make sure to only play only multiplatform games if you go to console gaming.

15. Davros

Legend

It's working, quickly sprinkle him with the holy water-cooling water....

16. Vardant

Newcomer

I won't be able to use the GPU PhysX part either, unless I upgrade from my old trusty GTX 460, but that sure as hell won't stop me from buying such a fantastic game like Witcher 3 looks out to be.

The effects are always something extra anyway and while it looks good on a comparison video, you forget you don't have them pretty soon after you start playing.

17. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

I'm not that bothered by lack of some effects in TW3 on my PC because I'm using AMD GPU. For now it is sad state of things and clear policy from one of major GPU vendors to differentiate themselves.

As to why CDPR went with nVidia is pretty clear to me. I grown up in Poland and know quite a few developers, University teachers and people in big computer retailers. Unfortunately in all 3 of these sectors nVidia has much bigger presence than AMD. Few people told me that whenever they approached AMD for help they were turned down and unless you are selling 10's of thousands of GPU's AMD seems not to care. On the other hand nVidia is supporting even smaller computer shops in Poland, they are donating tons of hardware for Universities and give support to teach CUDA. On top of that they also support smaller developer teams and that's the reason CDPR have good relationship with them.

I'm AMD GPU user (not fanboy) and like they general corporate policies, but when it comes to Eastern Europe their management is poor, poor, poor (probably a matter or priories as always).

18. Davros

Legend

Why ? I used to use physx on my gtx260

19. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

It would really depend on the title. With a graphic intensive game like this is going to be, you really don't want a lot of GPU power taken up for physics. And what PhysX titles were you playing on a 260? Mirror's Edge?