Wired Router

ERP

Veteran
I need a Wired gigabit router, with more than 4 ports (8 preferably) and not hideously priced.

I'm going back to a predominantly wired network at home.

Anyone have a suggestion .

What features do you need?
Is it primarily to handle NAT/firewalling to a (A)DSL or cable box or do you actually route between subnets?

A real gigabit router with 1GigE on LAN and WAN interfaces or one of those SOHO marketing-named gigabit routers which are 100Mbit routers with a gigabit switch embedded?

What features do you need?
Is it primarily to handle NAT/firewalling to a (A)DSL or cable box or do you actually route between subnets?

A real gigabit router with 1GigE on LAN and WAN interfaces or one of those SOHO marketing-named gigabit routers which are 100Mbit routers with a gigabit switch embedded?

I just need something that's Gig on the local subnet (only need one).
The wan connection will go to my Cable modem.

I've been predominantly wireless for close to 5 years, but I'm increasingly finding myself irritated when moving files between machines.

but I'm increasingly finding myself irritated when moving files between machines.

"hello Dav ive just bought a new laptop can you transfer my settings and files from the old laptop over to it"

"sure no problem"

So Davros turns up with his trusty 64mb usb pen drive

"whats this, itunes folder, size 40gb - oh bugger"

If you still have your old router or the modem does NAT, I'd recommend just adding a dumb switch. Plug it in to the LAN port on the router and it's done.
4/5-port GigE switches are around 50, 8-port around 80.
Manufacturer doesn't really matter as they are simple electronics.

If you don't then I recommend staying away from *Link.
Linksys, netgear and zyxel have served me well (annoying, but working firmwares - unlike d-link's which crashes once an hour)

Back