Wired NVIDIA Article

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by Dave Baumann, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Wired have published online their NVIDIA article from a meeting with their CEO Jen-Hsun Huang, which featured in last months magazine. Heres a snip:

<blockquote>"Two decades from now, Huang may look back on 2002 with similar clarity. Founded in 1993, Nvidia has grown 100 percent annually over the past four years to become the world's largest maker of graphics processing units (GPUs) - the semiconductors that drive ultra-realistic gaming, 3-D imagery, and video in PCs. Last year, the company made $177 million on $1.4 billion in sales while its top competitor, ATI Technologies, lost $54 million. Nvidia has risen to dominance by pushing the power of its high-end GPUs, letting the technology trickle down to cheaper price points, and hitting delivery windows. If that process sounds familiar, it is. In effect, Nvidia has become the Intel of graphics."</blockquote> The article goes on to play out that last statement somewhat further and makes for interesting reading as to the potential direction of NVIDIA in the future. Read the whole thing here.

2. MfA

MfA
    Legend

If they want to become bigger than Intel they better grow up to become real men like them too :) Maybe AMD can help them there.

3. pascal

Veteran

Very true.

4. sumdumyunguy

Newcomer

I was meaning to comment on this ever since I read the hardcopy two weeks ago. Nvdia's CEO seems to really be full of himself. AMD has been trying to just gain some market share for almost 30 years let alone dominance! Also, I just cant see WinVdia anytime soon.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Winvidia ...... I don't see it happening might if they really merge with AMD (But Intel might merry ATI which also makes chips like nforce)

he sure is very confident devide and conquer but devide to much will lead to less strenght and excecution of products.........

this comment hopefully makes sense cause im really tired

6. BenM

Newcomer

I think it's plausible for a "merger of equals" between AMD and NVIDIA. NV would gain a stronger hand in the direction of PC technology (and good fabs to push the limits of GPU production), and AMD would finally get a chipset business. :wink:

IIRC, someone was saying that AMD would be a steal for something like 6 billion or so. Once the fabs were taken out of that money, the IP that AMD has would easily make up the rest of the money.