WipEout Ω Collection

SP is fun but I guess they have some problems with the servers for this game. I just can't start a race online while at the same time Battlefield 1 runs smooth online so it can't really be a PSN problem. looks like they need to patch that.

I preordered mine from ShopTo with the Classic Sleeve and still hasnt arrived.:-x
I so much want to try this and as an old time classic Wipeout fan I am disappointed.

Just wanted to get this out of my chest :p

Bummer that the classic sleeve isn't available in Europe. Well, I couldn't find it anywhere at least.
Actually it was in selected UK online shops if you pre ordered. Thats why I am so pissed it didnt arrive. I think it got lost

Free VR update has come out [avaiable across entire game], and people online swear that this is one of the best VR games ever made! Immersive, fast, safe even for VR newbies [lots of VR comfort options], stunning looking, addictive, and funnily enough VR cockpit gameplay makes many players better drivers. :D

It's definitely a lot easier to hit the colored boost and weapon pads on the tracks now. As with other racers, the ability to look into corners helps tremendously as well. Last but not least, the super low latency of the headset makes for instantaneous course correction. All of a sudden the little analog nub feels 10 times more precise. VR and driving games are a match made in heaven.
That the game looks so stunning isn't really that suprising imo. Even on the regular PS4, Wipeout hits 1080p/60 with exceptional image quality and in split screen to boot, making it the ideal candidate for a PSVR treatment

The sound in games is something I am interested to know more about.
Sound is dynamic and contextual for more immersion.

Silent Hill 2 was an interesting example were everything was sequenced and played through the sound chip instead of playing pre-recorded audio clips.

Wipeout seems to employ effects and filters on the audio depending on weapons, damage, power ups, barrel rolls, jumps etc etc.

The Zone stages employ flanger each time you move to a higher zone.

But for some reason, the sound in Wipeout is so pristine and so "alive" that I wonder if the music is somewhat also generated by a sound chip.

There was an interesting sound bug I got once, where I restarted the game, and an isolated sound sample (an instrument) was stuck on the loading screen, as if a single note was being pressed on a midi keyboard.

Which made me wonder if the music isnt exactly one prerecorded audio track and how the console handles the music and the audio in general.This shouldnt have happened if the music is one audio file.

I feel that something else more interesting might be going on.

Does anyone have some idea about this or real time sequencing of samples in games?

I doubt the music here is being sequenced on the fly. The devs are just really good at altering it with effects when the occasion calls for it.

Last edited:
The sound in games is something I am interested to know more about.
Sound is dynamic and contextual for more immersion.

Silent Hill 2 was an interesting example were everything was sequenced and played through the sound chip instead of playing pre-recorded audio clips.

Wipeout seems to employ effects and filters on the audio depending on weapons, damage, power ups, barrel rolls, jumps etc etc.

The Zone stages employ flanger each time you move to a higher zone.

But for some reason, the sound in Wipeout is so pristine and so "alive" that I wonder if the music is somewhat also generated by a sound chip.

There was an interesting sound bug I got once, where I restarted the game, and an isolated sound sample (an instrument) was stuck on the loading screen, as if a single note was being pressed on a midi keyboard.

Which made me wonder if the music isnt exactly one prerecorded audio track and how the console handles the music and the audio in general.This shouldnt have happened if the music is one audio file.

I feel that something else more interesting might be going on.

Does anyone have some idea about this or real time sequencing of samples in games?

Oh the Zone! Forgot about that, have to try that sometime!

And yes, real-time sequencing used to be very common, but now I think it is just remixing prerecorded songs and applying effects. At least I didn’t hear anything strange yet. You can go quite far with that already though as you could have a separate drum and bass track that you mix in and out etc.

Back