Winter Solstice

eloic

Veteran
Hi,

Some of you may remember when I shared about my Christian past and my atheist present.

When I was a Christian, I was a pretty orthodox one so I didn't celebrate Christmas because it's not a truly Christian celebration. I'll skip the historical details as most of you may know, unless someone wants to talk about it...

When I became an atheist, I had no reason to celebrate the birth of any god either, so I've been doing nothing special in these 6 years. I only went to some suppers if I got an invitation (just because some days are holidays) and I also celebrate the New Year, which is a pretty neutral celebration.

Both in my Christian and atheist periods, I've always said "happy holidays" instead of "merry Christmas".

Well, to the point. The thing is that my partner wanted to do something more... "in the mood", so to speak. I told him "ok, but since this will be quite an effort to me, I'd rather set this out as a negotiation, so please let me do it my way". He agreed. :D

And my way is that we won't celebrate Christmas, we will call it Winter Solstice.

- We won't use any iconography that could make a reference to the birth of Jeezus. No Santa Claus either.
- The tree: we will have a Winter tree. There won't be a star on top of the tree, but a snowflake and we will light it on December's 21th, when the winter solstice begins this year.
- I'll keep all the forest/vegetation motives (wreaths, etc.), since those are pagan in origin and a symbol of the life that will come after the cold months ahead. Maybe I will add some forest/mythical "fauna" such as foxes, fairies and gnomes under the tree.
- Gifts. I'll keep that, too, since it also predates the Christian tradition (the Roman Saturnalia, etc.), but we will give the gifts on January 1st.​

For those who may think that I'm just replacing a tale for another, I don't see it the same way... exactly. The difference is that the Christian tale is a tale from a religion currently followed by millions of people, regardless of the different motives that move people to celebrate these days. On the other hand, we will only celebrate the season and the coming of the new year in a pretty neutral mood, and the mythical references are just a thematic touch, nor something I believe in neither something that currently hurts the minds of millions of people in all the world.

I also think that this will be a good opportunity to "rescue" a pagan/secular celebration from the Christian monopoly, as well as a good way to create our own traditions as a family.

What do you all think?

You can do whatever you want. You don't have to be a Christian to celebrate Christmas in the traditional way, nor do you have to if you happen to be one.

What do you all think?
Hey... Whatever works for you and makes you happy, my friend! :D

I'm an atheist and pretty hostile in general to christianity and organized religion in general (as it's a fucking scam with the intent to control people and turn us against one another instead of working together to make this world a better place), but I "celebrate" (IE, light participation, enjoying the merriment and whatnot of) christmas and to a lesser extent other holidays as well.

To me there's nothing inherently religious about christmas, of course it helps that in my language the name evokes nothing about christianity, we call it "jul" (english: yule), which is the name of the old pagan tradition which later got retconned by the christian church to aid them taking us over. (Which brings me back to that "fucking scam" bit, but whatever.) Today, the rampant consumerism which has taken over the holiday makes it even less about christianity than it already was; it was already gluttonous feast since ancient times, now it's mostly about spending money AND about eating.

Naturally, no carpenter who never raised any dead or ever walked on water was born on december 24th, so that aspect is even less important IMO than the consumerism and the devouring of food. There's little evidence of any historical jesus (which wasn't even the guy's name to begin with), but we do know this time of year wasn't when he would have been born.

So I feel no regrets, really. It's just a nice time of year when electric lights burn bright during a time which otherwise is very dark and dismal in my country. Evening falls around 3:45ish PM and even earlier in mid-december where I live, so most of the day is complete darkness. It's easy to get depressed when most of the winter is like that. So christmas-time is nice. I like it. :)

Yes, I know Yule, too.

In my eyes, if anything has to be reclaimed, so to speak, are the true pagan origins of these holidays, so I don't think it's very accurate to define all these winter traditions as a Christian festivity.

I'm happy that I've found this new way of enjoying these holidays without being a hypocrite with my own beliefs. After you avoid all the Christian myth references, you realize that the celebration stays almost the same, as most iconography and traditions are not truly Christian.

Moreover, I don't live in Catalonia, so I really miss a colder climate in Winter. Putting a little, crappy fireplace figurine in the living room and some miniature firewood pieces under the tree makes me feel home in a certain way.

:)

Issac Newton was born on 25th December celebrate his birth since he really changed the world for the better.
Yass!

When I saw a notification that you posted in this thread, I knew that your message wouldn't disappoint me. :cool:

Thanks I stole the idea from Neil deGrasse Tyson
AhSF3Ai.jpg

Of course the christians were outraged at this tweet
one of them approached me today and asked "can I pray for you"
I said "sure can I sacrifice a goat for you"

I've had jewish friends who celebrated christmas just because it was fun. Its a celebration that many people do. Ignore the religious stuff as cultural remains of a civilization whitch happened to be very christian and of which you are part. That is justification enough in my opinion.

Nowadays, i think most christians don‘t even know the connection of Xmas and religion...ask people on the street and they will most probably refer to the Coca Cola man with the white beard :)

Here in the UK, the spirit of Christmas is all about getting royally pissed (the British pissed) and shoving as much food down your face as possible before having a row with your family. Oh, and falling asleep in front of the TV while watching a Bond film.

And why not?

Here in the UK, the spirit of Christmas is all about getting royally pissed (the British pissed) and shoving as much food down your face as possible before having a row with your family. Oh, and falling asleep in front of the TV while watching a Bond film.

And why not?
I also like those things. It's just I don't see them as a Christmas-exclusive thing. :)

I don't like short days in the fall/winter, and near solstice time is the worst. I'm ok with Christmas mood, gatherings, decorations and so on.

Bad planet design, there should be a new feature in the 2.0 version with 15hr day/sun time on any point on the globe. :)

Bad planet design
Hahaha!

More OT, I'm gladly surprised that many people have found my whole "winter solstice thing" pretty cool. I even came to know that in some places they greet/celebrate winter!

By the way, HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I can't wait to open my gifts tomorrow morning! :D

Back