WinHEC slides give info on early spec of DX in longhorn

In what possible sense is this a leak?! It's a public release of a WinHEC presentation... which has been available for a few weeks now.

Temporary Name said:
In what possible sense is this a leak?! It's a public release of a WinHEC presentation... which has been available for a few weeks now.
Well, the slides itself is not a leak obviously, but the next DX spec is not finallized yet, so people can guess what'll be included in longhorn. I'll change the title to a better form.

Sage said:
jvd said:
what it say, i don't have power point

get OpenOffice.org from Sun. It's free, and works better anyhow ;)
actually, OpenOffice has no affiliation with Sun, StarOffice is Sun's rebranded OpenOffice that you have to pay money for.

[/pedant]

The Baron said:
Sage said:
get OpenOffice.org from Sun. It's free, and works better anyhow ;)
actually, OpenOffice has no affiliation with Sun, StarOffice is Sun's rebranded OpenOffice that you have to pay money for.[/pedant]
well, i downloaded my copy from Sun, it has a big "Sun" logo when it starts up, and "about" says Copyright 2003 Sun Microsystems Inc. Soooo..... I have Sun's version, it's still called OpenOffice.org, and it was free.

The Baron said:
actually, OpenOffice has no affiliation with Sun, StarOffice is Sun's rebranded OpenOffice that you have to pay money for.

Open Office is the open source version of Star Office which was originally developed by the German company Star Division. They were bought out by SUN and SUN later open sourced it under the Sun Industry Standards Source License.

I don't know how much original Star Office code is still present in todays Open Office but SUN's Star Office is basically Open Office with some additional stuff (better spell checking and file format filters and such).

I completely migrated from MS Office to Open Office, mainly because MS Word is such a crappy, unreliable word processor (Powerpoint and Excel are great though) and you can save documents as .pdf. Also, MS Office is a bit on the expensive side...

Hmph. On HLSL: "This will be the only programming methodology for Windows Graphic Foundation." They can enforce this?

Also, "Will ship exclusively on Longhorn." They are either going to have to climb down off that horse, face a disaster, or finesse it by releasing the same thing under another name for older versions of WinOS.

Wow, amazing.

Looks like Microsoft is going to make the amazing update of OpenGL to version 1.2. Gee, if it was released today, they'd only be six years behind.

And the OpenGL -> D3D part of one of the slides looks really scary, but at least the second powerpoint seems to indicate that OpenGL will not run through a wrapper.

pretty interesting info even though many of the interesting parts have been known for quite some time

the new driver models for audio and video looks pretty good to say the least
Creative weren't all that excited about the new audio driver model when I had a chat with them though, don't really know why

nice to see that the geometry shader will be required for "DX10" support :)
also nice to see that they're going to "enforce" a full set of feature requirements so that we don't have to check for individual caps anymore

Longhorn is looking really good IMHO, I can't wait
too bad the current builds suck ass though ;)

by the way the two component texture compression they speak of, does anyone know if this is related to 3dc?

Ante P said:
Creative weren't all that excited about the new audio driver model when I had a chat with them though, don't really know why

Maybe because it would require them to actually do something? Their moto seems to be sloth. They haven't done anything with their technology in at least the past 5 years.

Chalnoth said:
Wow, amazing.

Looks like Microsoft is going to make the amazing update of OpenGL to version 1.2. Gee, if it was released today, they'd only be six years behind.

And the OpenGL -> D3D part of one of the slides looks really scary, but at least the second powerpoint seems to indicate that OpenGL will not run through a wrapper.

It doesn't affect IHV OpenGL impliments, just the builtin OpenGL, which will be hardware accelerated by translating to D3D.

Who knows some good may come of it - you may be able to play quake at work just by installing a screensaver!

I'd like to draw peoples attention to slide number 11 in TW04079_WINHEC2004.ppt, and in particular to the line that reads:

"IEEE compliance for floating point"

I'd like to invite those who in the past have argued in these forums that IEEE FP compliance is unnecessary and a waste of performance/transistors to justify their arguments in the light of the above slide. I'd also like them to address their statements that certain cards would continue to be more capable than others in the future.

Also given that the average consumer purchases a machine and uses it for 3 years before disposing of it or upgrading it significantly would you say that a GF6800 based card or a Radeon series card would be a better choice for such a consumer?

BRiT said:
Ante P said:

Maybe because it would require them to actually do something? Their moto seems to be sloth. They haven't done anything with their technology in at least the past 5 years.

Actually the reason I was talking to them was related to just that... good things ahead. :)

radar1200gs said:
I'd like to draw peoples attention to slide number 11 in TW04079_WINHEC2004.ppt, and in particular to the line that reads:

"IEEE compliance for floating point"

I'd like to invite those who in the past have argued in these forums that IEEE FP compliance is unnecessary and a waste of performance/transistors to justify their arguments in the light of the above slide. I'd also like them to address their statements that certain cards would continue to be more capable than others in the future.

Also given that the average consumer purchases a machine and uses it for 3 years before disposing of it or upgrading it significantly would you say that a GF6800 based card or a Radeon series card would be a better choice for such a consumer?

I would like to draw your attention to the line on slide 12 that reads:

"IEEE 754 compliance (well, sort of)"

Back