Windows Vista...how pretty

silence said:
you can have transparency with StyleXP if you want it.... not all windows, but i guess soon it will be everything.... so i dont see whats the fuss about something that acctually isnt anything new and is prolly useless
XP's windowed transparency tends to be very slow, particulary on large windows. Vista renders everything via the 3D pipeline (in fully accelerated mode) so it should blaze on anything even remotely powerful. It also does font AA in hardware too.

Transparent window borders is good if you need to check out something behind another window. Windows has HUGE "visual overhead" since it has a menu bar attached to virtually every window, and often multiple toolbars as well. Making at least some of these areas see-through will be a big benefit IMO.

It's pretty but it's very beta.
I dont even like playing around with it.
Mainly installing things takes way longer than in xp and video acceleration isn't working so windows behaves likes it has no video driver- drawing eats up cpu and takes a long time.
Disabling accellation under display props didn't help like it does in xp either :cry:

radeonic2 said:
It's pretty but it's very beta.
I dont even like playing around with it.
Mainly installing things takes way longer than in xp and video acceleration isn't working so windows behaves likes it has no video driver- drawing eats up cpu and takes a long time.
Disabling accellation under display props didn't help like it does in xp either :cry:

I've been using it over XP (since I had to take off XP because vista completley F*&(0 up my boot manager..and I couldn't recover it)....so I don't want to install XP again and reinstall all the software (I have my laptop anyways). The fortunate thing is..I'm able to install Yahoo! MSN Messenger and VLC so far....I'll probably end up trying to install other things but those three things are essential to me :eek:

I'm not sure what else I can do with it....I may mess around with the visual features and some of the security stuff (Implemented UAP? it basically forces you to type in your Admin password for Global software changes and other administrative things...root anybody?)....I'm diggin the look alot..but the Nvidia Forceware drivers only give you enough to kinda sorta see what Aeros has to offer...can't wait for Beta2

Ok a few more snapshots...

FileBrowsing.png

This is basically how browsing files will look like....if you've used OS X before, you will see a resemblance. The items to the left are general folders (My Documents, My Pictures etc etc). If you notice the icons are the same way in OS X, the icons can also be enlarged or made smaller (so its in list form). This can be done by using a little lever on the toolbar in that window. I like how the file browsing is streamlined like that..but it may feel cluttered to some...hopefully they implement some way to just see the folders so it feels more clean.

IISEnabledattheStart.png

Here you can see the IIS Manager Screen (Under Folder Properties). It was enabled right from the start...so I could basically set up a virtual directory and set up Vista as a FTP Server right then and there. Looks the same as the XP setup...but the only difference was that it was there from the start (without me having to install it as an optional service). Its probably a Beta thing...

StartMenuMostAccessedApplications.png

Heres the "Start Menu" (I messed up on the image..lol...I don't want to re upload it again since I currently have 2 torrents running...killing tEh bandwith). As you can see the "Start Menu" looks almost exactly the same as the XP version...actually..theres only a few things different...but...

StartMenuAllProgramsMenu.png

First thing you'll noctice is the folders. That what you see infront of you (if you didn't pick it up from the red box :p ) is the "All Applications" menu. It seems as though it pulls the folders from the actual Programs Folder and shows the relevant apps in the folders in the menu in the picture. You basically click on the folder and it drops down to either show you more folders or the actual application....that might be a troublesome turn of events since I can envision having to manage and upkeep worthless folders being installed in that menu. I already ran into that with Yahoo! where it put two Yahoo! folders....one the actual Yahoo! application...the other some "Accessories" for Yahoo! (basically everything that can be accessed from Yahoo! messenger..so it seemed pointless to me).

You can also see something else to. UAP....I clicked on it..not knowing what it was and it gave me a quick synopsis on what UAP is. It basically acts as a Guard against making system changes without the Admin password. I personally think that alone will make Windows VERY secure....to many people these days have admin rights when doing general browsing and game playing, leaving there computer up to attacks that have full access to the system. This could preven people from writing to protected folders and the registry.

All and all...it feels like XP with a new GUI and UAP is a nice function to have implemented in Windows, just like *nix and other *nix OSs before it.

The GUI seems nice compared to the barebone XP GUI but it is barelly superior to XP GUI with some additions such as Style XP.
In fact i expected much more from the Vista GUI.
I would have like to see a true 3D GUI such as Sphere XP.
We shall wait the Beta 2 to find out what would be the real power of the GUI.

Last edited by a moderator:
i find StyleXP very good. i tried Object Dock and it reasource hog (at least on my comp).
it does offer some nice features and shortcuts, but nothing i will die for.
having 2 tabs really slows down my comp.... maybe its combination of Dock and Style, but i'll go for StyleXP....

they are doing great job, adding more and more option in every major release.

silence said:
i find StyleXP very good. i tried Object Dock and it reasource hog (at least on my comp).
it does offer some nice features and shortcuts, but nothing i will die for.
having 2 tabs really slows down my comp.... maybe its combination of Dock and Style, but i'll go for StyleXP....

they are doing great job, adding more and more option in every major release.

StyleXP is excellent.
In fact i expected that Vista GUI would be a combinaison of StyleXP and Sphere XP:
http://www.hamar.sk/sphere/screenshots.htm

BlueTsunami said:
I've been using it over XP (since I had to take off XP because vista completley F*&(0 up my boot manager..and I couldn't recover it)....so I don't want to install XP again and reinstall all the software (I have my laptop anyways). The fortunate thing is..I'm able to install Yahoo! MSN Messenger and VLC so far....I'll probably end up trying to install other things but those three things are essential to me :eek:

I'm not sure what else I can do with it....I may mess around with the visual features and some of the security stuff (Implemented UAP? it basically forces you to type in your Admin password for Global software changes and other administrative things...root anybody?)....I'm diggin the look alot..but the Nvidia Forceware drivers only give you enough to kinda sorta see what Aeros has to offer...can't wait for Beta2
My install of vista at the end said there was error with the boot files, but it had the new boot menu and it also had my windows xp under legacy OS or something.
I do love the new gui, it's really was xp should have been imo, the design is much better.
I like where it's going with UAP and all that stuff since most programs require admin privs so you have to give noobs a admin account (reluctantly) so they can install stuff.
But uh ya.. beta 2 should prove interesting.

A great look is everything to most people. What's under the hood isn't as interesting by far to almost everyone.

DiGuru said:
A great look is everything to most people. What's under the hood isn't as interesting by far to almost everyone.

Not surprisingly - looks is what most typical users perceive in Windows. They are not interested in what changed in the driver model etc.
The only interesting thing i want to play with at the moment are unattended installations - Vista has some nice improvements there.

Very true..whats missing though is WinFS.....its supposed to really speed up file searching by indexing in a special way.

Well IIRC there was some (beta?) version of WinFS in the previous builds and it was everything just no fast. When i booted into win, my hdd didn't stop for like 10mins when it was doing *something* and kept cpu usage at approx. 50%.

Does anyone know how to get rid of the weather docklet on Vista Inspirat? I have two and neither work.

Last edited by a moderator:
i generally fear prettiness in an o/s! :(
i nearly freaked when i first saw the grouped version of Control Panel in XP

i like things lean and work friendly
i have a grand total of 17 services running: two of those are added (Diskeeper and Kerio Personal Firewall) and one wouldn't really be necessary (Themes) but for the XP look

can you sort folders alongside files in order of size?
the size used for folders being the sum of their contents

i want the drive buttons back dammit!
and not just for Explorer - for any folder i happen to open
and yes, i know you can drop down a list from the address bar

... why can't i get transparent windows? I've intalled that Vista style theme thing you posed, silence... And i have an NV35, is it not DX9 enough? :cry:

london-boy said:
... why can't i get transparent windows? I've intalled that Vista style theme thing you posed, silence... And i have an NV35, is it not DX9 enough? :cry:

dunno...wasnt around for some time....
maybe you have some other software that is fighting with this.... i couldnt get all the goodies cause i have StyleXp installed....

it prolly depends on what software you have on your comp.....

london-boy said:
You're confusing Vista Style with the actual Vista OS when it comes translucency and graphics power needed.

Well it worked for silence!!

Ok i'll just wait for Vista, i would have NO idea what kind of software is interfering with it so i'll just wait. I have a LOT of programs installed.

london-boy said:
Well it worked for silence!!

Ok i'll just wait for Vista, i would have NO idea what kind of software is interfering with it so i'll just wait. I have a LOT of programs installed.

kinda worked...i think it had big fight with StyleXP
specially after i used one to change background set by the other.... ;)

Back