Windows Vista...how pretty

BlueTsunami

I laugh at you! HA HA HA!
Veteran
I'm on Windows Vista right now....its a very nice OS. I like the Aeros GUI (the opaque borders are pretty cool). Oh...and whatever version of IE this is (possibly 7)...it...it...omg..it kinda rocks....probably doesn't have the same feature rich setup as FireFox can be...but its pretty good nonetheless....

I see good things for Vista....the file structure has been kinda revamped and the general look is clean...my 6600GT works like a beaut but i'm working off a fricken 5 year old 15" HP Monitor...so I can't really bask in its GUI'ness....

Last edited by a moderator:
Transparent borders and a browser that still isn't as good as the competition doesn't really excite me too much...

Diplo said:
Transparent borders and a browser that still isn't as good as the competition doesn't really excite me too much...

you can have transparency with StyleXP if you want it.... not all windows, but i guess soon it will be everything.... so i dont see whats the fuss about something that acctually isnt anything new and is prolly useless (if you get transparent part over something with complementing colors you might not see whats there)....

if thats what they have to show after 5-6 years and "Longhorn will cost more then sending men to Moon" i would rather have them send men to Moon and fucking plug the holes in existing OS.:devilish:

that dock is really cool and helpful.... other then that it had fight with StyleXP, so i am not sure i saw it complete....

gonna play with both when i catch some time....

silence said:
that dock is really cool and helpful.... other then that it had fight with StyleXP, so i am not sure i saw it complete....

gonna play with both when i catch some time....

OS X did the dock thing right. Since its integrated with the OS X (in Tiger), the app icons look very nice when expanded and the dock moves very smoothly. The only thing I dislike about the OS X one is that its not as custumizeable as Object Dock for the Windows Platform.

I sincerely hope that this GUI is not the best they can do after such a long time otherwise i will be very disapointed.
Note that i am already disapointed because they will give up both WinFS and Nomad for the launch.:devilish:

Java_man said:
I sincerely hope that this GUI is not the best they can do after such a long time otherwise i will be very disapointed.
Note that i am already disapointed because they will give up both WinFS and Nomad for the launch.:devilish:

They actually really changed the File System..there using a Unix'esq setup (go figure). There also making use of Virtual Folders (Basically folders that act as links to the actual folder somewhere on the HDD). Its supposed to be different than a "shortcut" to the folder...although..i'm not sure what it is yet.

Virtual Folders are like DB queried views. It references all parts in your HDD that match your criteria: e.g. your Pictures Virtual Folder will "harvest" all pics in your c:\mypictures, e:\Jon'spics, d:\work\project\images, whatever. So, whenever you want to browse all your pictures (or perform narrower searches on them) you open your Pictures VF. Basically it's the same as OSX's Smart Folders if you're familiar with that.

FYI, the word you're looking for is translucent. not transparent (clear) or opaque (solid).

i can't wait to see dx10 in action! i think im gonna wait on my next super rig till it's out.

Cartoon Corpse said:
FYI, the word you're looking for is translucent

arghh..I was thinking about it while I was typing...but shrugged it off. But yeah...I like the translucent look...makes it feel more airy and not as solid and rigid as XP's GUI. I'm going to take more shots tonight (screenshots)...the program list is kinda weird (show you guys whent I take the screenshot).

Also...my 6600GT and all my other Motherboard items where picked up on the install..as opposed to XP where it didn't pick up my Onboard Ethernet, Sound, Video and some other device. I like that...but its a natural progression to add more driver support for the next OS. MSN Messenger and Yahoo Messenger both work but are a little fragile (meaning they will crash if you press the wrong buttons). I talked to one of my buddies for a while on Yahoo! while on Vista.

It integrated into my network perfectly...although the Network Neighborhood browser was kinda slow to pick up my file server (which is a non issue since I already know its location " \\Blue-Server\*Share*"). I could see my media and everything else. Speaking of Media...it comes with WMP10 out-the-box....just start it up...configure it, and you good to go.

Java_man said:
Well, they had to get rid of the window-dressing stuff like that to spend more time on the important stuff, such as transparent fonts and a really neat looking analogue clock on your desktop! Woot!!!1111

Diplo said:
Well, they had to get rid of the window-dressing stuff like that to spend more time on the important stuff, such as transparent fonts and a really neat looking analogue clock on your desktop! Woot!!!1111

I was actually hoping for a completly revamped UI.....but as SugarCoat stated

SugarCoat said:
Beta 2 in the fall is suppose to have the first nice graphical enhancments with it, post more then!

I can't wait for that, thats for sure.

Other than that...the GUI and the setup feel like XP....but there are things that set it apart...when I take more screen caps...i'll show all of you.

BlueTsunami said:
They actually really changed the File System..there using a Unix'esq setup (go figure). There also making use of Virtual Folders (Basically folders that act as links to the actual folder somewhere on the HDD). Its supposed to be different than a "shortcut" to the folder...although..i'm not sure what it is yet.

I am not sure they really change the File system.
It looks like it is NTFS again.
Off course WinFS was not supposed to be a whole new File System but it is supposed to significantly enhance NTFS.
Anyway i suppose that the advanced search feature should partially compensate the lack of WinFS.
Regarding Virtual Folders,Mac OS X Tiger already has a similar feature.

I like the Virtual Folder feature alot! I can now map any folder created, to another point (be it localy or on a network share). So basically (as an example)....what I have done is taken my "Music" Folder and mapped it to my folder on my FileServer that contains all my music files. I love that feature! (I'm not sure if you could do it on XP, I know you could map your "My Documents"..but actually creating and mapping a New Folder couldn't be done.)

Also...when installing Vista, if you have a Video Card thats above average (I have a 6600GT)...download the drivers straight from the source. MS may install the card for you BUT it won't show off some of the nice graphical features of Aeros..and drivers for both Nvidia (and I would think ATI) are in BETA stage. I've already found a weird bug with my Forceware driver, it basically has me restart me system whenever I change the resolution or try to extend my desktop.

Back