Windows running on ARM!

1Ghz CPU - ARMv7 but is it A8, A9, A15, Scorpion CPU or Krait?
1Gig of RAM - DDR2, LP-DDR2 or DDR3

Many variables but still impressive considering that nobody knew that it wasn't running on x86 CPU, only after the presentation MS showed them that it was running on ARM.
Very optimistic about it :)

It's probably not an A15 or a Krait.. but is it very important? They all have the same instruction set.

Those could be very early samples or even prototypes, who knows.
It's not that important but considering improved MIPS/Mhz. it's interesting nevertheless. I'm more interested in software compatibility and core itself, could it be that the same core will power WP8 and it will be possible to run the same programs on both platforms.

But I have to say that I was stupid thinking it could be A15 or Krait - it was running at 1Ghz and both of those are made to run at higher clock, so it was probably dual-core A9(standard CPU for next year's high end devices).

Those could be very early samples or even prototypes, who knows.
It's not that important but considering improved MIPS/Mhz. it's interesting nevertheless. I'm more interested in software compatibility and core itself, could it be that the same core will power WP8 and it will be possible to run the same programs on both platforms.

But I have to say that I was stupid thinking it could be A15 or Krait - it was running at 1Ghz and both of those are made to run at higher clock, so it was probably dual-core A9(standard CPU for next year's high end devices).

When developing software, I doubt they'd go with buggy early prototypes. In fact, it may be just an older OMAP or Snapdragon as those are fairly tried and true chips.

When developing software, I doubt they'd go with buggy early prototypes. In fact, it may be just an older OMAP or Snapdragon as those are fairly tried and true chips.

IMO the same could be said about A9 based SoC's, even though they just started to ship in devices. But if it's running on some older platform it's good indication of what kind of optimizations MS did to the core to make it smooth and that it will get only better with higher performing CPU's and GPU's.

10 hour W8 tablets?
Wonder how difficult the new binaries compiles will be...?
Also, is W8/ARM a stripped down W7 a la iOS vs. OSX or will it be full blown?

IMO the same could be said about A9 based SoC's, even though they just started to ship in devices. But if it's running on some older platform it's good indication of what kind of optimizations MS did to the core to make it smooth and that it will get only better with higher performing CPU's and GPU's.

Honestly, the compute power inside just about any of the 1GHz SoC's should be plenty for a basic version of Windows without the various services. I have Windows 7 running on a 1.2GHz Celeron with 512MB of RAM. It profiled the machine and adjusted itself, of course, to be less resource intensive.

Granted a 1GHz Snapdragon or OMAP isn't near the performance level of a 1.2 Celeron, but I don't think Windows 7 ever rails the CPU to 100% for extended periods of time either....

off topic ?

apparently win 8 leaked lol.. can be found via torrent

wow that fast? this reminds me of the part in the new Tron movie when the kid leaked the new OS on the internet as they was trying to show it off.

so fast do you think people will have W8 running on the NGP?

I'm hearing people have installed the windows 8 leak on the xoom . Right now its just irc talk but it might be true

Someone will probably get it going on qemu or some other ARM emulator soon enough. I'd actually love to play with it but still don't have a proper PC at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless I'm mistaken the leaked version of Windows 8 is an x86 version from last year and still has a 6.1 (Windows 7) kernel. Unless an ARM 6.2 version has been leaked as well, people are probably just making things up that then are running it on a Xoom.

This show a more recent Windows version on an ARM system from CES earlier this year
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/microsoft-confirms-arm-support-is-coming-in-windows-will-play-n/

From what I understand multiple things were leaked today. Some things leaked are more public than others.

I dunno how true it is and it may be false . We will see soon as ie10 was shown running on a tegra 2

The interesting point in that demo is not that Windows runs on ARM, but that MS chose an ARM to demonstrate some new software technology. Certainly not a love message to Intel :devilish:

Back