Windows Phone 7

Personally WP7 feels a lot more intuitive to me (it really depends on how your setup your home screen and place your tiles depending on your needs). There are still some missing things (which there was "centralized" email client so I don’t have to go back to the home screen to check my hotmail, then gmail etc..

iOS and WP7 are miles better than Adroid thought. Android currently feels like a polished Windows Mobile 6.XX to me.There are settings menus all over the place and the constant need to use the hardware menu button in applications is annoying IMO.

Oh my god , I feel the same way about Andriod and everyone laughs at me.

I went from a touch pro to a samsung moment and felt like the only thing that changed was the screen size.

Oh my god , I feel the same way about Andriod and everyone laughs at me.

I went from a touch pro to a samsung moment and felt like the only thing that changed was the screen size.

Yup it's kinda crazy to see folks praising Android after they all trashed WM6.5 even though both are basically the same IMO. Take an HTC HD2 and compare it to any of the current Android handsets and you will notice that it is on par or faster and snappier and has a fully GPU accelerated UI.. (the WM version of Sense) unlike Android. It's just a total mess outside of it (sense). But I still find it ironic that it loads nearly everything (camera, file explorer, videos, photos, games, settings menu) faster than the current high-end Android devices (it's just a polished turd in terms of userfreindlyness thought and a shitty browser experience...)

Android is like windows you have on a laptop you buy from best buy, comes with all kinds of junk installed that you cannot remove sometimes. Only way to fix it is to root it and put stock Android, just like a clean Win7 install. Only problem is this procedure is beyond the average user.

If you want to see how a proper Android experience is, you need Google's own Nexus phones. All other Android default installs are pretty much crap.
Of course nothing beats the iPhone, and once it's not supply constrained, and becomes available on other carriers, it's game over.

Uhh what kind of crapware comes with unbranded phones? Unless you mean custom interfaces like htc sense but you also get that on wm7 as htc also its own shell for that. Also i'm sure you get crapware when you buy branded wm7 phones.

Of course nothing beats the iPhone, and once it's not supply constrained, and becomes available on other carriers, it's game over.

You do realize that it's already available on all carriers worldwide (there's no cariiers exclusivity like AT&T'sin the US) and that it's far from "game over" ? US not = World...

Btw MS has just announced over 1.5 million devices sold to Carriers/Retailers (not-end users) in six weeks: http://www.mobiletechworld.com/2010...n-windows-phone-7-handsets-sold-in-six-weeks/

Last edited by a moderator:
Uhh what kind of crapware comes with unbranded phones? Unless you mean custom interfaces like htc sense but you also get that on wm7 as htc also its own shell for that. Also i'm sure you get crapware when you buy branded wm7 phones.

Wrong there's no carrier or OEM shell/customization on WP7. OEMs/Carrier can only ad up to 60Mb of free applications (that are all user un-installable with a simple tap), one custom accent color and IE bookmarks… Nothing else.

My friend got a mytouch 4G and it came with yahoo messenger, yahoo chat, yahoo browser, yahoo mail, t-mobile TV, three games, aol, quicken, quickbooks mobile, etc. All running and uninstallable unless you root..

You do realize that it's already available on all carriers worldwide (there's no cariiers exclusivity like AT&T'sin the US) and that it's far from "game over" ? US not = World...

Btw MS has just announced over 1.5 million devices sold to Carriers/Retailers (not-end users) in six weeks: http://www.mobiletechworld.com/2010...n-windows-phone-7-handsets-sold-in-six-weeks/

MS's strongest market is the US, by far though. It's not game over of course, that's more dependent on iphone pricing, which is still hideously expensive in Europe and other places.

My friend got a mytouch 4G and it came with yahoo messenger, yahoo chat, yahoo browser, yahoo mail, t-mobile TV, three games, aol, quicken, quickbooks mobile, etc. All running and uninstallable unless you root..

And that phone is really unbraded? Because in my country if you buy unbranded you don't get any extra stuff apart from what HTC or whoever might include. Also branding here is mostly light. On my vodafone legend I only got 2 apps to the vodafone store thingy.

Wrong there's no carrier or OEM shell/customization on WP7. OEMs/Carrier can only ad up to 60Mb of free applications (that are all user un-installable with a simple tap), one custom accent color and IE bookmarks… Nothing else.

HTC included the windows 7 version of sense. No, its not allowed (atm) to have it replace the MS gui but its there.

And that phone is really unbraded? Because in my country if you buy unbranded you don't get any extra stuff apart from what HTC or whoever might include. Also branding here is mostly light. On my vodafone legend I only got 2 apps to the vodafone store thingy.

HTC included the windows 7 version of sense. No, its not allowed (atm) to have it replace the MS gui but its there.

There's no WP7 version of Sense at all. It's only a simple application that contains a clock/weather similar in design to the Sense/TouchFlo digital clock/weather widget and a link to the Marketplaceit's basically a totally useless app. Sense is a full blown UI shell on top of Android/WinMO. This is just an application (and just like all WP7 apps a simple tap is needed to unistall it). OEMs will never be allowed to replace any of the UI elemetns of WP7.

Just saw that, pretty impressive considering all the doom and gloom news some sites have been trumpteting.

Even if we were to be pessimistic and assume carrier are REALLY insane and are holding onto huge stocks of phone (which is odd when you consider there were shortages of phones) and thus only 50% of phones actually sold to consumers that's still 125k a week. If all or most of them sold to consumers that's close to 250k a week which is up near Android numbers, isn't it?

Regards,
SB

Just saw that, pretty impressive considering all the doom and gloom news some sites have been trumpteting.

Even if we were to be pessimistic and assume carrier are REALLY insane and are holding onto huge stocks of phone (which is odd when you consider there were shortages of phones) and thus only 50% of phones actually sold to consumers that's still 125k a week. If all or most of them sold to consumers that's close to 250k a week which is up near Android numbers, isn't it?

Regards,
SB

Well, Android's "activation" numbers (whatever than means..) according to Google is something around 300K per day... which is a lot...and could very well be PR BS...

Well, Android's "activation" numbers (whatever than means..) according to Google is something around 300K per day... which is a lot...and could very well be PR BS...

When android first released that number was around 60k. It ramped up to that value it didn't start there.

We bought a Samsung Omnia 7 for my father for christmas, I thought of it as the best smartphone platform for the less... tech-savvy people (he's coming from a WM6.5 OmniaII and he's a total chaos).

I tried it up a little bit.
UI fast as simple, check.
Best intuitivity yet in a smartphone, check.
Good and fast browser, check (the fact that you can't write an address in landscape is quite a bummer, though)
Outlook synch and configuration simplicity, check.
Windows Marketplace, error, not available in your country (Portugal).

Wait, what? No windows marketplace? In an OS that won't let you install anything if it's not coming from their marketplace?
Checked the internets, there's no declared date for activating the marketplace outside the initial batch of countries. Googling a bit more for answers and I see rumours of launching the marketplace in mid-2011.

MID-2011??!??? WTF?!?? We're stuck with a feature phone for almost a year after we bought it? How come there are absolutely no news around the web for this grave issue?

I mean, the phone will fit my dad's needs. A decent and very easy outlook integration, word and excel editing capabilities and a big screen is pretty much everything he needs.. but I would return the damned phone the next day.

There, rant done.

We bought a Samsung Omnia 7 for my father for christmas, I thought of it as the best smartphone platform for the less... tech-savvy people (he's coming from a WM6.5 OmniaII and he's a total chaos).

I tried it up a little bit.
UI fast as simple, check.
Best intuitivity yet in a smartphone, check.
Good and fast browser, check (the fact that you can't write an address in landscape is quite a bummer, though)
Outlook synch and configuration simplicity, check.
Windows Marketplace, error, not available in your country (Portugal).

Wait, what? No windows marketplace? In an OS that won't let you install anything if it's not coming from their marketplace?
Checked the internets, there's no declared date for activating the marketplace outside the initial batch of countries. Googling a bit more for answers and I see rumours of launching the marketplace in mid-2011.

MID-2011??!??? WTF?!?? We're stuck with a feature phone for almost a year after we bought it? How come there are absolutely no news around the web for this grave issue?

I mean, the phone will fit my dad's needs. A decent and very easy outlook integration, word and excel editing capabilities and a big screen is pretty much everything he needs.. but I would return the damned phone the next day.

There, rant done.

Well you can still create a bogus US xbox Live account and associate it to the LIve ID used on the WP7 device. But you won't be able to buy stuff (only trials and free apps which is the majority anyway). Later on just use an Xbox to reverse this and associate a local XbLive account when the marketplace is available in your country. (sadly an Xbox is required for this last step). Yes. This is totally RIDICULOUS....

Last edited by a moderator:
I know Microsoft's mobile division has made some stupid choices in the past but this one really takes the biscuit! Foolish in the extreme.

Win Phone 7 update is finally here. Cut and paste is nice, seems to work well. Seems they made some performance improvements too. Pretty nice.

Win Phone 7 update is finally here. Cut and paste is nice, seems to work well. Seems they made some performance improvements too. Pretty nice.

There are even more performance improvements coming in the next update (+ Internet Explorer 9 & multi-tasking):

Full keynote here: http://channel9.msdn.com/events/mix/mix11/key02

SIMD/NEON support for XNA + generational garbage collector: http://www.mobiletechworld.com/2011/04/13/all-about-the-new-windows-phone-7-mango-features/
New Sliverlight 4 controls a 1500 apis: http://www.mobiletechworld.com/2011...overview-32bit-color-support-better-controls/

I'm curious to see where W7 will be by the time the new iPhone rolls out. If the iphone 5 is delayed until fall, that gives a bit more breathing room. More importantly, a new hardware platform to build on.

Back