Windows Phone 7

Anyone hear anything about when sprint or verizon will be getting windows phone 7. I'm really fed up with my samsung moment and don't want another andriod

Apparently one of the models had a BOGO offer today.

After Xmas, there may be more discounting.

Alot of andriod phones have had bogos today. Its hard to compete as the new kid on the block when your ocmpetitors have more apps and mindshare and are priced under you.

Which one did you get?

I went for the cheapest and got myself the LG optimus 7. I haven't had time to test out the Zune software yet so I'm not sure how well the communication between PC and this phone works. But the phone itself and its software has worked extremely well.

Loving my new Focus. Had a chance to go from my old iPhone to iP4 as my contract was up but am giving this a try (have 30 days). Also was >< close to buying an Android Captivate.

so far... buttery smooth interface and integration. Very detailed user friendly -have it when you want it- not in your way when you don't- interface.

Syncing my desktop (synced to Windows Live) calendars, email accounts and contacts nearly instantly over air. Lovely. Syncing my documents (or pics) to skyDrive, allows instant pic uploads to Facebook or Live. Zune also allows wireless syncing after 10 minutes of charging in home over my WiFi so every night, every pic I took on phone is magically placed on my PC and vice versa.

the hubs (Music pictures, people) are done magnificently and already integrate with some 3rd party apps with regard to history and info being available when I want it. Excellent voice activated dialing, searching and commanding. I never use Bing on my home PC but this iteration is really cool and accessible and smart. The voice software understands amazingly well.

I can not express just how smoothly and richly inviting the interface feels and looks. The tiles could use a little more room for customization, but for a fist gen firmware...WOW. I am well aware of the shortcomings coming from daily work usage with the iPhone but I am certain it is only a matter of time those things will all be addressed. The already obvious subtle differences have me liking it better than just what was on the feature list which clearly told me to go iP4. :cool: I also LOVE having a back button which in several situations operates much like multitasking.

The minimalist approach to the OS and display and the Focus itself is beautiful and screen is gorgeous. It feels like a new way of doing everything. Fast, concise, integrated, easy. I never had a ton of apps on iPhone so I'm not too concerned as to replacing the few I will miss over time. Also Xbox live is very nice addition,. Only big drawbacks so far are the marketplace search sucks as it does not categorize results and I wish the sleep/power button were elsewhere (on top maybe) or activated by holding the Start button for longer (which instead activates voice commands)

I'm sold and can't wait to see how they continue to improve the UI.

http://wmpoweruser.com/windows-phon...-taking-market-share-from-iphone-and-android/

20 days of sales and it seems like windows phone 7 is .9% of the andriod market and .6% of iphone market.

Not bad at all

You know wmpoweruser being a microsoft fan site..they will take anything "bad" about WP7 and twist it into something good...

Fact is Microsoft isn't taking about sales because they actualy aren't really hot at all compared to all other mobile platforms. This is the reasons why they didn't enable Marketplace analitycs until last week (prior to that, devs dind't even know if their apps where being sold/downloaded or anything..). MS wanted to enable it only in January, but because of the bad buzz this decision generated they decided to do it now , one month earlier. MS knew that WP7 won't be a hot seller at first and didn't want to give outsiders anyway to know how things were doing, that's why they didn't offer this tools before (as a matter of fact they had it up and running internaly before the retail launch..I saw it with my own eyes..their official line was that the tool wasn't finished...but that was PR Bullshit). Now that everybody can see the Marketplace statistics it's fairly obvious that WP7 is in for a really long and painfull battle in the mobile market (app sales and downloads are abyssal if you are not EA games..).

WP7 is really awesome for a 1.0 product (I love my Omnia 7!) but Microsoft badly sucks at marketing and now even dev support after the initial launch (I have experieced this first hand, ever since the platform launched, MS has been silent about many of the issues currently faced when developing WP7 applications). What's even worst is that the vast majority of the MS employees who are in contact with devs (or the general public) don't know much about the product (!) compared to some developers and enthusiats. It feels really amateurish.

Fact is Microsoft isn't taking about sales because they actualy aren't really hot at all compared to all other mobile platforms.

Well its two mature products with a whole range of devices from Android 1.x to 2.x and a wide range of prices to a new brand of phone which is starting at the higher end. Most likely any comparison is moot until they can get some market share and word of mouth traction and making one now would give the public the wrong impression.

<disclaimer> Windows Phone 7 user <disclaimer>

Well its two mature products with a whole range of devices from Android 1.x to 2.x and a wide range of prices to a new brand of phone which is starting at the higher end. Most likely any comparison is moot until they can get some market share and word of mouth traction and making one now would give the public the wrong impression.

<disclaimer> Windows Phone 7 user <disclaimer>

Totally agree. But the lack of any kind of info can also backfire in MS's face. Just look at all the blogs/websites speculating about WP7's sucess / dismise etc...

I ended up getting a Samsung Focus. I really like it so far. Windows Phone 7 has some rough edges, but overall it's pretty solid. A good alternative imo.

Regarding word of mouth, a few of my coworkers liked my phone a lot (one Blackberry user and one iPhone 3Gs user). They said they were surprised how much they liked it because they expected it to suck. Seems like MS has to overcome a lot of skepticism in this market.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, just bought a Focus here as well - the only WP7 phone carries, so I was limited in options as I wanted to use it for work. Have to say I overall prefer the OS to the iPod OS, though I'm not convinced that I like the only organisation of the non-tiled apps is alphabetial. The integration of work's exhcnage email is very easy, naturally, and the contact integration from all my various accounts (Work, Live, Facebook) was a surprise - even more so see see them all loaded up on on Live account as well.

Of course, I am suffering from the stupid MS billing issue that I've had since moving. If I want to integrate using my standard Live account, which is linked to my XBOX account (of course, I want to) I can't get Marketplace content from Canada! I have to pay for all content using my UK credit card and I have to change my computers region to UK to enable the Zune software to download from there as well. MS have started doing "account migration" in some curiously small regions, Ijust hope they roll this out across the world.

So far I'm pretty happy with the level of intergration and the overall slickness of the OS.

seems like MS has to overcome a lot of skepticism in this market.

yep. even the first time I went to look at a WP7 in the ATT store, the woman helping me could not stand to see me consider the WP7. She mentioned only the shortcomings. (Copy paste, Sim card errors, etc) and then she bowed at the apple alter. ;)

Went home and researched Captivate, iP4 and focus for about 3 days straight and made 90% decision when I went back to TRY it.

Am still willing to take it back if I don't like it and I have 26 more days to decide. so far, i don't see that happening. Hopefully more people will not get swayed by unknowing salespeople or by pre-conceived notions.

I myself am waiting to see what plans Verizon has with it. I'm hoping one of the carriers will eventually offer a month to month plan like some do with certain Android phones.

Not being on Verizon and Sprint has to be hurting adoption. Android at least launched out of the gate with phones on all carriers, right?

Regards,
SB

I myself am waiting to see what plans Verizon has with it. I'm hoping one of the carriers will eventually offer a month to month plan like some do with certain Android phones.

Not being on Verizon and Sprint has to be hurting adoption. Android at least launched out of the gate with phones on all carriers, right?

Regards,
SB

Nope it only launched with one single model (the G1), only on T-Mobile and only in the US (The HTC Magic was release a few months later in Europe). Android wasn't selling squat in the US untill the Motorola Droid launched on Verizon one year and the buzz started to take off. Sales in Europe started to pick up once HTC "dropped" WinMo one year ago after the HD2 and went all out with the Android marketing and devices.

MS issue here is that they are spending Marketing money on crappy ads and PR campaign IMO and because they are MS .... "everybody" hates etc.. They trully botched the launch thought (OEMs weren't ready and didn't build enough devices).

Nope it only launched with one single model (the G1), only on T-Mobile and only in the US (The HTC Magic was release a few months later in Europe). Android wasn't selling squat in the US untill the Motorola Droid launched on Verizon one year and the buzz started to take off. Sales in Europe started to pick up once HTC "dropped" WinMo one year ago after the HD2 and went all out with the Android marketing and devices.

MS issue here is that they are spending Marketing money on crappy ads and PR campaign IMO and because they are MS .... "everybody" hates etc.. They trully botched the launch thought (OEMs weren't ready and didn't build enough devices).

Windows phone 7 is already doing better than andriod did at the start. It is true that it wasn't until the Droid blitz that andriod picked up . But then again it shows how easy it is to go from selling poorly to selling extremely well in this market.

Yes the windows phone 7 ads suck. But that can change quickly and Sprint is getting phones in january /febuary from what I hear with verizon getting them in march or april. Sprint is also getting a very good handset that its going to push like they did with the evo 4g.

As a sprint customer I know how poor the sprint phone line up is and they only get 1 or 2 phones a year worth a damn and this year it will be a windows 7 phone they will be pimping for months.

I think we will see an explosion of sales once they hit other services. Its really hard on att to compete with the iphone's market presence when your only on the market for 20 days.

Honest question: do people really enjoy and find the UI user-friendly and intuitive? I can't seem to get the hang of not having to think about what I'm doing and where I am in the UI hierarchy with WP7. With iOS (and Android to a lesser extent) I don't have to put any brain power into navigating around applications and interacting with the OS-level features like touch input. With WP7 I'm all over the place for the most part.

I haven't spent giant amounts of time with WP7, but I'm struggling to warm to it despite really wanting to give it a good chance.

Honest question: do people really enjoy and find the UI user-friendly and intuitive? I can't seem to get the hang of not having to think about what I'm doing and where I am in the UI hierarchy with WP7. With iOS (and Android to a lesser extent) I don't have to put any brain power into navigating around applications and interacting with the OS-level features like touch input. With WP7 I'm all over the place for the most part.

I haven't spent giant amounts of time with WP7, but I'm struggling to warm to it despite really wanting to give it a good chance.

Personally WP7 feels a lot more intuitive to me (it really depends on how your setup your home screen and place your tiles depending on your needs). There are still some missing things (which there was "centralized" email client so I don’t have to go back to the home screen to check my hotmail, then gmail etc..

iOS and WP7 are miles better than Adroid thought. Android currently feels like a polished Windows Mobile 6.XX to me.There are settings menus all over the place and the constant need to use the hardware menu button in applications is annoying IMO.

Back