Windows Game Store *spawn*

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Davros, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Davros

Legend

I'd be too sacred to buy anything on gamepass, I got a 3 month free trial with my ryzen 7 and several games would not even install
    Wolfenstein Youngblood, Gears 5, Rage 2 ect i just got a "error something has gone wrong" type message.

2. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

its just the app that it's so crappy as of now, so it's obviously PC Gamepass beta. Issues everywhere

wsreset command should help and the registry utility Take Ownership to go inside the Windows Apps folder, too

3. DxCore

Newcomer

I've bought games on game pass and i actually like the app ..

4. MfA

MfA
    Legend

No, the entire architecture of windows apps and windows security model is fucking wrong. When people rejected their crippleware they just threw their hands up and created full trust applications and brought back malware hell. That's the only options they are currently willing to give, crippleware or malware ...

Fuck you Microsoft, I want moddable games in a properly sandboxed environment. You'll fucking make me buy Apple eventually if you keep this fucking shit up.

5. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Yeah well if I liked a game and decided to buy it, if I had a choice I would definitely NOT buy it on the MS store.

6. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

I just dont understand how come stores like Play Store and WIndows Stores randomly goes bonkers with downloading apps/games and updates.

The surefire way i found to always fix when the download stuck

1. Windows Store: delete the whole game/app then redownload. If its still stuck, do wsreset.exe
    2. Play Store stuck "preparing to download" or "queue" despite it was doing nothing?: install the APK from APK mirror.

Never had any issues like that on Steam, GoG (galaxy?), Origin, ubisoft store (whatever they are called now), Unreal Store, manual download thru web browser.

7. orangpelupa

Legend Veteran

thousands thundering typhoon! Xbox app says i have Halo 3, press Play. MCC app says i dont have halo 3. Press download = error.
    go to windows store, search for Halo 3. Press install. loading. "couldnt find device to install" error.

now googling

8. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

The only major game I have on there is Gears 4 and that game is a mess. The store certainly does strange things when installing large software. And the game tends to freeze periodically so fun all around.

9. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Hmmm. I haven’t had any real problems with whatever the new app that works with Game Pass for PC is called. I’ve installed way more games than I’ve played, but most of them are smaller indies. Hellblade, Yakuza 0 and Plague Tale Innocence all worked well enough with the PS4 equivalent Steam PC I use. The obfuscated directory system is a royal pain for something as simple as editing an ini.

I didn’t try a Halo or a Gears. It’s possible I got an install error but I just hit retry or restarted the app or Windows to fix it.

10. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

From what I've seen you can consider yourself lucky on that one :mrgreen:

11. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

12. Silent_Buddha

Legend

<knock on wood>

Thankfully, I haven't experienced any problems with games installing and running through Gamepass PC.

Regards,
    SB

13. zed

zed
    Legend Veteran

26 million, is that all, they must be undercounting I would say easily 100 million plus.
    I assume I would be counted for this year ryzen 3600 & nvidia 1650 as a gaming PC, even though I dont play games, so how do they come up with this number?

14. Silent_Buddha

Legend

175 million PCs shipped last year of which 26 million were gaming PCs. Basically more than PS4+XBO combined.

There's obviously quite a bit more "active" gaming PCs in the wild.

Regards,
    SB

15. MfA

MfA
    Legend

I spoke too soon my windowsapps directory seems fucked almost beyond recovery ... can't deinstall some games now any more. Also I learned they have a separate SQL database to store information about the apps. So on top of having some super secret filesystem protection which bypasses the standard access controls they have a super secret registry which bypasses the standard registry ... because why the fuck not. This doesn't turn the whole thing into a fragile piece of bullshit at all ...

Not going to reinstall over this, if necessary I'm going to just nuke the directory from orbit (Linux) and try to never install another windows app again.

#15 MfA, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  16. Davros

Legend

orangpelupa and Pete like this.
  17. MfA

MfA
    Legend

I meant the game directory, but it doesn't matter though ... I've somehow fucked the start menu now. Sigh, time to reinstall after all.

18. Davros

Legend

you can delete it in linux I use Ubuntu Gamepack (runs windows games yay)
    https://ualinux.com/en/ubuntu-gamepack
    Steps I took :
    disable windows store
    uninstall windows store
    boot into linux
    delete store folder
    boot into windows
    reinstall windows store

Pete likes this.
  19. orangpelupa

Legend Veteran

Sometimes the start menu fucked itself. If it unfuck itself with ethernet unplugged and wifi disabled, then you probably can fix it by using a registry key that disables bing/cortana integration.