Windows 7

Yea all verisons were also apparently leaked today too .

Rumor has it that an open beta will start today also and they will announce it at the CES keynote

Tomorrow
Download Windows 7 Beta
Partners with a MSDN or TechNet subscription can download Windows 7 Beta now. All other partners can download Windows 7 Beta starting January 9, 2009 at 12:00 P.M. Pacific Time.

Yup i was off by two days :)

I will def get in the beta (it shouldn't be limited)

I allways felt the vista hate was made into a big deal. It was as stable as xp ever was for me and almost as fast. I think windows 7 is faster than xp though at least on my rig and even though its still a beta its much more stable than either of those.

Will this beta expire before 7 is released? I don't want to have to move back to Vista after a few months getting used to a new OS.

Will this beta expire before 7 is released? I don't want to have to move back to Vista after a few months getting used to a new OS.

This beta expires in August. If W7 isn't out by then the RC build surely will.

Btw, the public beta will be limited to the first 2.5million downloaders.

Anyone know what time they are putting it up?

Had a HDD issue and lost some files so am going to reinstall windows, may as well give 7 a try.

it's all games which I'll then uninstall and never use again.

No No No

there are only 2 legimate reasons for uninstalling games.
1. they are crap
2. you need the hdd space (for more games obviously)

what are you going to do if your bored one day and you think I fancy a game of "x,y or z"
your going to have to hunt down the cd, install the game, find out if there are any patches, download and install them (I just bought frontlines fuel of war - 3gb of patches) install any addons, mods ect you need ect and possibly go searching for a widescreen fix.
Now if you still had it installed you could just double click on the shortcut and revel in the goodness...

Now repent to the gaming gods or may they smite you by makeing you play through diakatana........

Back to windows....
what I would like to see is applications being self contained apart from start menu shortcuts
there is no need to put files in anywhere except the apps own folder no sticking dll's in the system folder keep them in their own folder ok it may lead to duplicates if another program from the same company uses the same dll, but hdd space is cheap now and thats better than files overwriting other files with different versions and all the other problems. Also leave the registry alone (apart from file associations) if you need to store settings in a central locations use an ini file (ive nothing against them being in c:\windows) better than using the registry that should be for windows use only

Last edited by a moderator:
No No No

there are only 2 legimate reasons for uninstalling games.
1. they are crap
2. you need the hdd space (for more games obviously)

what are you going to do if your bored one day and you think I fancy a game of "x,y or z"
your going to have to hunt down the cd, install the game, find out if there are any patches, download and install them (I just bought frontlines fuel of war - 3gb of patches) install any addons, mods ect you need ect and possibly go searching for a widescreen fix.
Now if you still had it installed you gould just double click on the shortcut and revel in the goodness...

Now repent to the gaming gods or may they smite you by makeing you play through diakatana........

Then the gaming gods are going to hate me for sure because after I am done with a game, it promptly gets uninstalled!

Heretic, Heretic, burn the heretic.....

May your two new best friends be called Superfly Johnson and Mikiko Ebihara

Heretic, Heretic, burn the heretic.....

May your two new best friends be called Superfly Johnson and Mikiko Ebihara

Yeah i'm with you on this one. As long as I have the space, the game stays on my HDD. I love just dipping into old games on a whim, even if its only for a quick 5 min blast. I also like the feeling of them just being there, even if I never play them. Makes my PC feel more like an 'ultimate gaming machine'! :smile:

Well it's up if you can get it, I have IE8 installed in vista and the site crashes it in IE8 and emulated IE 7 mode.

Good job MS :LOL:

I hope I can download it with chrome.

Where the heck does one get it? I have looked a bit, but did not see the link. And I thought someone said 12pm pacific time.

oh I found it maybe
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dd353205. aspx
put a space in the last thing after the dot, but it is so hammered it is not responding anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't really call that up, you can't do anything. I've tried several times but it takes forever to load and then fails to register the profile you create (why do I need a profile I have no idea, I'm logged in to my TechNet account...).

Edit: It finally confirmed my email/profile and then tried to load the beta experience page and failed miserably!

MS should've used the bittorrent network, it's going there anyway so why not avoid this server overload situation.

I've got as far as agreeing to emails from MS so far.

I wouldn't really call that up, you can't do anything. I've tried several times but it takes forever to load and then fails to register the profile you create (why do I need a profile I have no idea, I'm logged in to my TechNet account...).

Edit: It finally confirmed my email/profile and then tried to load the beta experience page and failed miserably!

Same experience...that green circular thingy appears...and then I get an "Error
The site is currently experiencing technical difficulties, please check back in the next business day"

Back