Windows 11 [2021]

It is being introduced in the same preview versions of Windows 11 that sees Microsoft making a questionable change to the long-standing Alt-Tab keyboard shortcut, but the good news with the Print Screen change is that users will be able to revert back to the behavior they are more familiar with if desired.

In the changelog for Windows 11 Insider Preview builds 22621.1546 and 22624.1546 Microsoft explains:

"Pressing the print screen key will now open Snipping Tool by default. This setting can be turned off via Settings > Accessibility > Keyboard. If you have previously modified this setting yourself, your preference will be preserved."

While this is unlikely to be too controversial a change, it is still one that will annoy a number of users. It is also something of a strange decision; not only does it change the role of a key that has served a very specific function for -- literally -- decades, it also pushes one of Microsoft's own tools at people.

This is the kind of behavior from Microsoft that has a tendency to rub people up the wrong way, but as it is only being tested in Insider builds at the moment, it is possible that user feedback will lead to a change of heart.

honestly alt-tab seems like crappy behaviour anyway. They need to rethink. I think virtual desktops with pinned windows and having good hotkeys to switch between desktops and the pinned window is probably the best way to navigate. There's probably no great solution for navigating a ton of browser tabs.

I think print screen opening snipping tool is a great change. I haven't needed to do full screen captures to memory for years. It's useless in games and for productivity I only ever use snipping tool to grab what I want.

Yup, I abuse the hell out of the snipping tool, probably one of the greatest applets that MS has ever made.

A bit of trivia, it was originally created for use with a tablet interface back in 2002 (called Clipping Tool back then) for Windows XP Tablet Edition.

Regards,
SB

What is the difference between Snipping Tool and Snip & Sketch? I use Snipping Tool all the time but I've never used Snip & Sketch. It seems like they do the same thing.

What is the difference between Snipping Tool and Snip & Sketch? I use Snipping Tool all the time but I've never used Snip & Sketch. It seems like they do the same thing.

I thought they were merged into one app and it's just called snipping tool now?

Hmmm, looking more, it looks like Snip & Sketch also had some rudimentary drawing tools and the ability to crop your image before saving it or pasting it into another app. So, not merged.

So, I guess that's the main difference. I don't think Snip & Sketch is available for Win11.

Regards,
SB

I'm done with Chrome. It is trash on every computer I run it on. I imported everything into Edge. Even my extensions came along.

What's your problem with it ?
It gets stuck and I have to close the browser (all tabs). Also Youtube videos are laggy. This is a problem on all my computers. Pull up a Youtube video in Chrome and move the mouse over it. You'll see that the video flashes and skips, briefly maxing out your CPU. Perhaps very very fast CPUs can handle this, but not my laptop (Ryzen 4300u) or desktop (13600K). Correction, this isn't happening any more on my desktop. Maybe this was an interaction between Chrome and the AMD video driver. I recently had to swap to my old NVIDIA GPU. It never happened it Edge anyway.

Windows copilot. A blessing or a curse? Could it make it faster, easier to get things done, especially with the convoluted settings/control panel options with things in different places? Or will these be more Microsoft trash that just screws things up?

"Cortana, install Chrome for me"
"Cortana, make Win11 GUI less shitty"
"Cortana, uninstall yourself"
Why on earth would anyone switch from built-in Edge to the literally worst Chromium offering out there is beyond me. Only bad thing in Edge is the fact it's Chromium too.
(ps. you'd run out of memory after the first one if it launches after install)

Why on earth would anyone switch from built-in Edge to the literally worst Chromium offering out there is beyond me. Only bad thing in Edge is the fact it's Chromium too.
(ps. you'd run out of memory after the first one if it launches after install)
I find myself still using Chrome out of muscle memory. And it still shits the bed randomly. It's really quite annoying when I have to close the entire browser and lose all the tabs I have open. Is there any way to relaunch Chrome keeping all your tabs? I can only find this option when it wants to update.

I find myself still using Chrome out of muscle memory. And it still shits the bed randomly. It's really quite annoying when I have to close the entire browser and lose all the tabs I have open. Is there any way to relaunch Chrome keeping all your tabs? I can only find this option when it wants to update.
Dunno about Chrome, Edge can do that.

In Settings, there's an option with an icon like a computer switch (I'm not sure what it is in English version), which lets you select what to show when it launches (e.g. blank screen, or google.com). There's an option there to show last tabs.

And, you can right click on the "+"/new tab icon, and choose to restore closed tabs too. It saves me from time to time when the show last tabs function is not working right.

Question have they re-enabled nested folders on the start menu (not sure if this behaviour started with Win10 or 7)
eg: my Start Menu -- Controllers folder
1685149297846.png

What it actually looks like on the Start Menu
1685149364372.png

Is there any way to relaunch Chrome keeping all your tabs?
Lolwat, thats one of the reasons I started using Chrome.
Back in the day it would lose your session sometimes so I still have the Session Buddy extension installed but the built-in session restore has been reliable long enough that the only time I can remember actually using the extension was when I accidentally nuked my Windows partition.

Back