Windows 11 [2021]

Does Windows even allow you to do backups? The only thing I've seen is some bullshit one drive syncing. I'm not sure why Windows hasn't copied Time Machine from Apple yet. I basically treat my Windows box as an insecure piece of garbage full of data I'm fine with losing, because I don't want to worry about my data. I do all of my important stuff on an ancient macbook because Time Machine works, even though I've never had to use it. The only time I've ever had to use Time Machine on a mac was when I bought a newer macbook and had to sync everything over, or something like that. My Windows machine exists purely for gaming, and some hobby programming. It's just a pain in the ass to download and install stuff if something goes wrong.
You can create full disk images at least up until Win10. It is considered a legacy feature but it isn't too hard to find. I used to do this regularly back when I kept important data on my PC. Win11 may be different. And something tells me if it is different, it's not in a good way.

For Win 10 I use a third party backup software (Acronis True Image) to automate weekly C: drive backups. Gives the option to do full drive/partition restore or selective files.
Not sure what the situation is on Win 11 but would think with third party backup solutions it would be similar.

Edit: Unfortunately the latest Acronis versions switched to a subscription based setup unlike my non-sub 2021 version.
If looking for a third party product I'd look for something you can own or go the freeware route.

Last edited:
WIndows 11 still includes the full image backup feature from Win10 (from Win8, from Win7, where it broke from Vista and prior versions backup methods) but it's SUPER buried and a pain in the ass to find. If you had a backup schedule already configured from prior OS, it will keep the schedule.

The inbuilt full image backup capability allows all the things Pharma mentioned -- you can select a full drive, or a partition, or specific folders, and then can recover accordingly. No real reason (IMO) to go 3rd party, until of course MS completely kills it anyway.

Might just me but on my personnel machines I've just gotten used to putting Windows as it's own drive/partition. Going straight to format and reinstall is basically the quickest solution than spending anytime bothering with trouble shooting. Never even bothered with driver cleaners for things like GPU changes, just did complete reinstalls.

Even more stream lined these days with the speed of installing off USB to SSDs compared to CD to HD, along with more (most) programs/games basically being pseudo portable and will just run without needing to go through an install if kept on a sperate drive/partition.

It is, exactly. There's no UI way to get there though, you have to know how to get the old control panel open and then the navigation to the backup method isn't quite the same as Win7 / Win8 / Win10 because they've been dorking it up.

But yes, it's exactly there :)

I did my win 11 reinstall to fix the bugs I have. Was actually super easy because I don't have important data and I've structured everything else that needs to be setup in a way that it doesn't take long.

I went to change some power settings because I have things like a usb device that doesn't recover well from sleep. It doesn't seem like you can tailor your power plan from the settings menu anymore. You have to go into the old control panel to get access to those options. WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS?

PSA. now "open with" app will report back to microsoft when you change the default app to open a file.

i use a firewall app (simplefirewall) that pops up a question whenever a new app needs internet accesss. open with app internet access request instantly pops up once i changed the default app for a file.

dunno what data was reported back to the mothership.

EDIT:
maybe thats why windows 11 became slow AF when you got a really bad internet connection. as the apps basically stuck in "waiting" limbo until it timed out or succeed in connecting, then proceed to the intended behavior

PSA. now "open with" app will report back to microsoft when you change the default app to open a file.

i use a firewall app (simplefirewall) that pops up a question whenever a new app needs internet accesss. open with app internet access request instantly pops up once i changed the default app for a file.

dunno what data was reported back to the mothership.

EDIT:
maybe thats why windows 11 became slow AF when you got a really bad internet connection. as the apps basically stuck in "waiting" limbo until it timed out or succeed in connecting, then proceed to the intended behavior

I don't particularly care if they collect that data. It'll help them figure out which of their apps are kind of garbage. I do have a problem with everything being tied synchronously to the Internet. I want everything on my machine to be as instant as possible, and the Internet is anything but instant.

I don't particularly care if they collect that data. It'll help them figure out which of their apps are kind of garbage. I do have a problem with everything being tied synchronously to the Internet. I want everything on my machine to be as instant as possible, and the Internet is anything but instant.

Yes, if they just want to collect information, that can always be queued for later. Either it's lazy programming, or they actually want to get something from the server for some kind of decision, though that does not seem likely.

Yes, if they just want to collect information, that can always be queued for later. Either it's lazy programming, or they actually want to get something from the server for some kind of decision, though that does not seem likely.

Probably the analytics were haphazardly programmed in. Thus it is part of the main thread instead of async.

Something that Google will automatically warn and (potentially) block your app from being published in play store.

I wonder why Microsoft didn't have automated tool to automatically detect that...

Or they did have. But the higher ups simply give the devs ridiculous schedules and/or workload?

1680775450528.png

any idea how to make windows 11 search work properly?

despite there's EXACT FILE named "Practice 1 P5 text 3". Windows 11 cannot find it, and it found totally different files instead.

Attachments

• 1680775479956.png
    1680775479956.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 2
what I can do is recommend UltraSearch
thankyou, anything like that but integrated (e.g. replacing) with Explorer search?

currently im using "Everything" for instant search. but sometimes when i need to directly search within a folder, its a hassle to copy the folder path from explorer to everything (yes, i am lazy AF)

Back