Windows 11 [2021]

DirectStorage now available in Windows 11:

Last edited:
Winter OS, the fastest Windows for gaming -and speed- to date. The author is as reliable as he can be. All the videos I've found on it are in spanish -so use captions-. It's basically a super tweaked version of Windows 11, but you don't lose the updates and overall use of Windows 11 is the same as the original if you want to -Winter OS gives you all the different options-. I found it very impressive.

Winter OS, the fastest Windows for gaming -and speed- to date. The author is as reliable as he can be. All the videos I've found on it are in spanish -so use captions-. It's basically a super tweaked version of Windows 11, but you don't lose the updates and overall use of Windows 11 is the same as the original if you want to -Winter OS gives you all the different options-. I found it very impressive.

im confused.

it didnt show any game benchmark before/after. what it showed is that it wasted memory

im confused.

it didnt show any game benchmark before/after. what it showed is that it wasted memory
the guy just explains certain details about the Winter OS project, but he shares the channel of the creator of Winter OS. This one:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWX0MO14FHmjJqhSAaTpc0A/videos

Haven't watched any of those videos but I guess the author might have one showing the difference. That difference exists, as seen in videos from the author of Magpie -a FRS injector for any game- who also uses a customised version of Windows for gaming, and the framerate is much smooter.

From what I understand, when you use Winter OS, there aren't many background processes taking computing power and RAM usage is like 15% at most. Also if it exists it's because it works as expected, the performance of your PC improves. But I haven't tried nor tested it 'cos I tweaked Windows using a de-bloater and I am happy with the results for the most part.

this is the official channel of Winter OS creator and he explains that you gain fps, there is less latency and input lag, plus better performance Guess he shows that before and after in the video.

imho, it should be Microsoft the ones creating a "consolerized" version of Windows without half the crap nobody uses when gaming, while having a regular version of Windows for those who use it for other reasons.

edit: from the video's description:

Project WinterOS W11 and W10 21H2/LTSC 2021/2018 Rev07::

This OS features more than 193 improvements which manage to squeeze the maximum performance in games, graphic design or other heavy task.
You can optimize the games you want, the emulators you want, and also the productivity apps you use the most!!!
The Windows 11 version does not have TPM requirements for installation and you can use a local account.

Last edited:
imho, it should be Microsoft the ones creating a "consolerized" version of Windows without half the crap nobody uses when gaming, while having a regular version of Windows for those who use it for other reasons.

They do, but it's only released on consoles... 😏

Btw what does game mode in windows even affect?

IIRC, awhile ago, I've tried toggling it off and on and didn't get any perf difference.
some people say it's worse having it enabled. Tbh, I don't bother with it and have it disabled.

this is the official channel of Winter OS creator and he explains that you gain fps, there is less latency and input lag, plus better performance Guess he shows that before and after in the video.

edit: from the video's description:

Project WinterOS W11 and W10 21H2/LTSC 2021/2018 Rev07::

This OS features more than 193 improvements which manage to squeeze the maximum performance in games, graphic design or other heavy task.
You can optimize the games you want, the emulators you want, and also the productivity apps you use the most!!!
The Windows 11 version does not have TPM requirements for installation and you can use a local account.

I skimmed it, but I didn't see any benchmarks. There are tons of scammers offering all kinds of dumb utilities to improve windows performance in gaming, and 99% of them don't work. I have seen some tests on tech yes city with a customized windows 10 that did make an actual difference, but he actually benchmarked it. I don't like this instructional things that just say, "Trust me, it works."

I skimmed it, but I didn't see any benchmarks. There are tons of scammers offering all kinds of dumb utilities to improve windows performance in gaming, and 99% of them don't work. I have seen some tests on tech yes city with a customized windows 10 that did make an actual difference, but he actually benchmarked it. I don't like this instructional things that just say, "Trust me, it works."

that Ghost Spectre guy is the author of Magpie mod to inject FSR 1.0 for free in any game. It was one of my favourite apps when I played on the GTX 1060 3GB.

As for Winter OS, I haven't watched the video -just the intro and little more- although the guy probably works hard to keep W11 as lite as possible, yeah, I haven't seen benchmarks either.

It should be Microsoft themselves, to at least give people something like a dual boot system so you can use your work or daily job stuff in a typical W11 installation and a W11 Lite optimised for gaming. Many people use Windows to play games nowadays, it has the best of everything.

I debloated Windows with the tool I mentioned before and I can't complain. Even on a system with a CPU like mine, I remember a month ago, sometimes simple things like internet navigation could become easily sluggish.

Can you elaborate on that? I'm curious
basically when opening up Edge for instance, sometimes the page rendering was slow or the browser was unresponsive. I have 1Gb optic fibre now so that wasn't the problem. Maybe cache could be the culprit, well, it could, but also when using an IDE like VS 2022, there were times where it became so unresponsive for unknown reasons to the point of becoming unbearable. That and simple things like when I was downloading a game on Steam, at 100MB or 110MB per second, the whole system was unresponsive, or when updating Windows 11 -I am on the insiders program-, although maybe it was the SSD (a 600MB/s one) to blame in this case. Basically I had those issues day in and day out when using Windows 11. It's not like I use and install too many programs either.

Now after a clean install and some debloating everything is instant. I use a NVMe drive now which helps for sure, but in the end a debloated OS makes all the difference for me.

Interesting that I never got that kind of performance problem despite I heavily abuse windows pagefile (have more than 50GB), even the ssd dies under warranty (got cheap lexar ssd, so it didn't have max tbw limit listed under its warranty. I wonder why cheap ssd didn't have tbw limit... It's high end ssd and microsd cards that have tbw limits)

Now I wonder whether the performance issue was due to Intel gpu?
that was when I had a GTX 1080. I decided to perform a clean install 'cos of deep and long lived changes in the registry -2 years or so of extensive use- and start from scratch after getting a new GPU.

Previous struggles could well be due to some kind of virus, which I doubt but you never know or maybe the dreaded typical Windows performance degradation once it gets bloated which I thought was a thing of the past.

I hate Windows 11 with a passion. I pretty much hate everything microsoft at this point. The experience has gotten so bad, I can't handle it. My xbox app started having all kinds of weird behaviour where I'd try to download something from gamepass and it would sit at "preparing" for an eternity before the download would start. Then I got Darktide. The update wasn't showing up in the xbox app, but my friend said it only shows up in the microsoft store. So I look there and hey, the update is available. I try to download it through the store and it sits for about an hour before starting. Downloads the whole ... almost. It says it installs, but the install progress wheel thingy is only 3/4 complete. I look at the download and it's 0.1 MB shy of the actual download size. I can't repair the game, launch the game, or even uninstall it. Reboot. And then uninstall seems to work. Then I try to download the entire game over again. The download gets 0.1 MB from the end and stops. Can't do anything, but cancel it. I go through all of this bullshit troubleshooting on the microsoft answers page. I try repairing the microsoft store and xbox apps. I try resetting the microsoft store and xbox apps. I try removing gaming services and installing it again. I use dism to check my image, and sfc to check my system files. Can no longer get a download to start at all. Then I notice that I can't launch any of my xbox games from the app anymore. They never error. Just absolutely nothing happens when you try to launch.

Windows, xbox and microsoft as a company are just completely garbage. I hate it. Probably going to cancel gamepass and never give microsoft another dollar if I can avoid it. Ever since I switched to Windows 11, I've just had problem after problem, and I switched to Windows 11 because I started having mountains of audio problems in Windows 10. I hope that steam linux with this thing their doing with steam deck basically makes Windows obsolete for gaming. I'll run some kind of steam linux on my gaming pc and I'll get a mac mini for productivity stuff.

Back