Windows 10 VR standard announced. IHVs creating headsets from $300

Discussion in 'VR and AR' started by eastmen, Oct 26, 2016.

1. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

#1 eastmen, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    BRiT and RootKit like this.
  2. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Misleading title. MS is championing a standard - other IHVs are providing hardware at different price points.
    It's not specified (at least not in the article summary!) where the tracking tech comes from and if it's a standard component or not.

edit: Renamed thread to better reflect the news.

3. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

It's certainly interesting at least.

4. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I'm sure there are probably other companies doing research on inside out tracking, but I only know of Microsoft and Oculus at the moment. And Oculus' inside out tracking is still in the prototype stage, although it apparently works pretty well.

Hopefully more knowledgeable people will pop in with names of other companies that might be providing the inside out tracking tech to the OEMs.

Although it wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft were licensing out their inside out tech which should be relatively mature at this point.

Regards,
    SB

BRiT and RootKit like this.
  5. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

I guess this should be a good indicator about what headset(s) Scorpio is planned to use.

orangpelupa likes this.
  6. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Lots of companies involved in computer vision so I imagine there's a few tracking options out there. Kinect 2 is obviously a very good option for HW. Dunno what's developed since. Reliability is going to be the main problem, I'm sure.

7. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Using kinect 2 would void the inside-out tech. Unless you mean using it for input.

8. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I think he meant the Kinect derived sensors and tech in the HoloLens.

Regards,
    SB

orangpelupa and Shifty Geezer like this.
  9. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Kinect camera sensors (depth vision) in the headset.

10. cheapchips

Regular Newcomer

I hope at least one of their partners can come up with a better look than the two shown. They're pretty ugly even for HMDs. Thumbs up for the PSVR welder style mounting though.

Hopefully we get a hands on impressions the tracking solution soon.

11. hughJ

Regular

Makes sense that there a lot of companies in the PC marketplace that are dying to get into the VR space but have no realistic expectation of building their own vertical ecosystem like Oculus or Valve. Microsoft is in a position to help them.

12. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Thanks for the fresh coat of paint , was coming in hot and heavy from the stream and rushed to work

Shifty Geezer likes this.
  13. Silent_Buddha

Legend

It's nice that it'll be standardized to an extent as well making it less likely for people to run into incompatibilities, hopefully. Dropping the entry price is also going to be helpful, but there's still so many questions.

The inside out tracking means room scale interaction is handled easily by the headset. However, there was no indication as to how users were expected to interact with the virtual environment. And the on stage demo during the Windows 10 event didn't really show any interaction.

No specs yet. How fast will the screen refresh? How fast will head position and orientation be updated? What is the resolution of the screens?

I suppose we'll have to wait for OEMs to officially unveil their hardware to find out. If the specs are decent, 300 USD might be a good enough price point for me to get one to play with. At the very least, I'd be able to use an Xbox controller to interact with things similar to the Oculus Rift.

Speaking of the Oculus Rift. I do wonder if there will be a way to use the OEM headsets with either the Oculus controllers or the HTC controllers? And how compatible will they be with the current VR software on PC?

If Microsoft can unify and standardize VR on PC, that would go a long way towards driving adoption similar to how adoption for gaming on PC exploded after DirectX matured.

Regards,
    SB

Arwin likes this.
  14. cheapchips

Regular Newcomer

15. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

Relevant Microsoft Research paper published last week:
    PDF: Link

BRiT likes this.
  16. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

what if santa cruz ( I think that's the oculus prototypes name) is just a ms vr headset ?

17. hughJ

Regular

Was thinking that myself. The fact that Oculus described that prototype as a another product category (as opposed to an update or revision of the Rift) seemed to hint that it's more than just a mere proof of concept or technical exercise. Also consider that every prototype that Oculus has shown publicly in the last few years has ended up being released as a product.

18. Silent_Buddha

Legend

It's possible, but I don't believe MS uses 4 cameras for its inside out tracking. Then again nothing says they couldn't have increased the camera count to make the tracking more robust. Or perhaps to use 4 cheaper cameras.

Hopefully we'll get more information soon.

Regards,
    SB

19. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Remember for HoloLens the user can see outside of the helmet . With VR you can't. So perhaps they need more cameras to track your surroundings so you don't trip over anything

20. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

More annoucement coming in December and yes the OEM HDMs are co-developed with Microsoft and will use Hololens/Kinect tech.
    http://www.polygon.com/features/201...oft-headsets-aim-to-democratize-mixed-reality

RootKit and BRiT like this.