Will you buy a 6800 based on HardOCP's DOOM3 benchies?

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Reverend, Jul 26, 2004.

?

Will you buy a GeForce 6800 based on HardOCP's DOOM3 benchmarks?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Undecided until you see B3D's benchmark :)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Reverend

Banned

Just curious. There have been plenty of discussions about this.

If you do get a 6800, tell us what you're changing from. It may also be useful to leave a comment about whether buying a 6800 (if you do) has solely to do with the fact that you really, really, really like DOOM3; or if you think the DOOM3 benchmarks provided by HardOCP basically means the 6800 is the best there is for the next 18 months for you on a sweeping "overall, all games" basis.

[edit]FWIW, I will vote "Yes", but don't let that influence you! :)

2. Lezmaka

Regular

What about an option for "No, I already have one."

3. Evildeus

Veteran

Well if i had 450€ maxi, yes, otherwise a X800 XT PE. But as i have -450€, i think i'll pass :lol:

4. Reverend

Banned

Obviously, this poll is not for you then. This is not a "What's your videocard poll?".

5. Druga Runda

Druga Runda Sleepy Substitute
    Regular

Well all is good, one round ATI the other one Nvidia, somehow I think that the next round ATI will win with R500...

one way of another if I was buying this cycle it would be Nvidia, but I am not soo... waiting for next summer...

6. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

If I can find a GT for around $300, it's mine like Gollum.

7. Mariner

Veteran

I voted no.

I've spent so much on holidays this summer I need to save my pennies to spend on work on my house.

It could also be said that I'm not going to buy an X800 for Half-Life 2 for similar reasons! :wink:

Perhaps I'll see what mid-range cards are available around Christmas...

8. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

I honestly don't know yet, I really want to see the results from CPUs closer to my own (2500+) running first to see what the difference is down here on my playing field.

I should be finding out soon, I'll let ya know. ;)

9. Reverend

Banned

Okay, I forgot the financial situation.

Let's assume that you have the money... what would your decision be?

10. digitalwanderer

Legend

Easy, BOTH! ;)

11. Sazar

Newcomer

I spose I woulda voted yes... cept doom is not such a big deal for me :)

/me is a half-lifer...

12. Reverend

Banned

BOTH? The poll had three options... read it... think before you type!

13. Johnny Rotten

Regular

I voted to wait for more info. I am leaning towards the 6800GT (vs the X800XT) right now for a couple of reasons

1) doom3 performance

2) its cheaper ; 1600x1200 4xaa/8xaf performance isnt where I'd like it on ANY of the current cards which means I'll most assuredly be upgrading again soon (providing the performance increase is significant enough 50%+) so I may as well keep costs as 'low' as possible...

3) I suspect while it wont be as fast in HL2 both cards will enjoy significatly higher performance (compared to D3) anyway so it wont be much of an issue

EDIT: of course this is all purely hypothetical anyways since availability for x800xt's and 6800GT's up here in canada is STILL virtually nonexistant....

14. Mariner

Veteran

Probably still no. I'm just not looking to buy high(ish) end cards anymore. I spent a fair whack on the Voodoo 1 and Voodoo 2 when they came out (around £200 each, I seem to remember) but since then I'm loathe to spend much more than £100-150 on a card.

Even if Doom 3 is fantastic I don't game enough to buy a high-end card just for one game.

Assuming both NV4X and R4X0 based cards are available around Christmas £100-150, I can see myself buying one of them. Price/performance is the key as I doubt either will play the newest games poorly. The question is, would they have enough performance for my 17" LCD screen?

15. digitalwanderer

Legend

Now where would the fun be in that? :|

So it's an either/or and not both assuming money isn't a factor, right?

16. thop

thop Great Member
    Veteran

If the price drops to 200€ over night, yes. Otherwise no Benchmark in this world can convince me to buy one.

17. jb

jb
    Veteran

I voted no.

1) I pretty much had a good idea that NV would do better in Doom3 then ATI. This was a pretty safe bet knowing that NV put more time in the hardware/software in Doom3. So HardOCP's benchies only backed up what I felt was the most likely out come. The scores and deltas of course I had no idea so that was useful.

2) Doom3 is only one game. I play may others and write mods for Unreal based one. Thus Doom3 prefromace is not the be all end all for me. Now if we switch over to Doom3 mods...then maybe :)

3) And I had already made up my mind to get a GF6800 GT, so the Doom3 numbers really did not matter.

Side note: I have to simular systems. One will get an x800 varient, the other will get at 6800 GT so I can use both.

18. DSN2K

Newcomer

already have one. :wink:

19. rashly

Regular

I bought a 6800GT after these benchmarks came out. Not neccessarily because of the benchmarks, but they did have a little effect on my decision.

I was planning on getting a x800XT PE, and I probably would've allready gotten one had it not been for the delays. I reassessed my options since then and didn't really want to spend $500 on a video card. I figured the $400 line of cards would be better for my budget (still ridiculous), and that left the x800pro and the 6800GT. Of these two cards, the 6800GT wins hands down and the Doom3 benches at [H] were just the icing on the cake. I couldve gotten a x800pro and modded it to have 16 pipes, but that isn.t guaranteed and the performance improvement isn't even that great. The 6800GTs are overclocking to 6800u levels with ease though, so I decided to go that route.

Doom3 will most likely be the game that I will be playing for some time to come. I'm a competitive Quake3 player so Doom3 will probably be the game that I play most in the upcoming years,

20. PowerK

Regular

I voted no.

I love DOOM series, and whenever John Carmack, and his team brings new engine on the table, it always excite me. I have no doubt NVIDIA 6800 series is better card for DOOM3 than any others. But this is just one game. My choice (let's face it. it's always NVIDIA or ATI) depends on overall performance of many titles, and DOOM3 is just one of them. (but personlly, DOOM3 is very important title. :D )