Will the big three take advantage of computer monitors?

Will the big three take advantage of monitor resolutions?

• Total voters

GwymWeepa

Regular
Will Nintendo, MS, and Sony take advantage of the high resolutions of computer monitors? I know the revolution will hook up to a montior, but will it support the higher resolutions provided by them (or will it be limited to 480p)? I would hate to be limited to expensive hd-tv's for high-resolutions. Few people have such sets, but I don't know of a single person who doesn't have some computer monitor capable of at least 800x600.

london-boy said:
I think they should. At least have the option.

Me too, I have a 19 inch monitor, dammit it would look sweet...I'm worried that Nintendo especially won't go the extra mile and offer higher definition gaming on monitors because the resolutions would be different than HD-tv.

GwymWeepa said:
london-boy said:

Me too, I have a 19 inch monitor, dammit it would look sweet...I'm worried that Nintendo especially won't go the extra mile and offer higher definition gaming on monitors because the resolutions would be different than HD-tv.

Why not Nintendo, of all? Just asking...
And in the end, if they're telling us that in 2006 they can't have a very trivial auto-setup, i will laugh at them. The resolutions might be different, but not that much. All they need is 2 resolutions to choose from, one interlaced (480i) and one HDtv (720p or so) which could be used on PC monitors given the right cables..

GwymWeepa:

> I'm worried that Nintendo especially won't go the extra mile and offer
> higher definition gaming on monitors because the resolutions would be
> different than HD-tv.

Nintendo is the only company to have publically stated that it's next system will hook up to a computer monitor.

Please post less.

And even then, people will still complain that they will "only" support 1024x768 maximum (if that's the case), while "Pc graphics go all the way up to whatever crazy resolution", and 1024x768 is not good enough.
Complaining will never stop.

Actually, I don't expect Nintendo to support "computer resolutions". Would just make things more complicated for developers.

OTOH, I do see computers supporting HDTV resolutions and 1080p would be more than sufficient for most users.

london-boy said:
GwymWeepa said:
london-boy said:

Why not Nintendo, of all? Just asking...
And in the end, if they're telling us that in 2006 they can't have a very trivial auto-setup, i will laugh at them. The resolutions might be different, but not that much. All they need is 2 resolutions to choose from, one interlaced (480i) and one HDtv (720p or so) which could be used on PC monitors given the right cables..

Why not Nintendo? Because I don't give them credit for anything, I'd like to be surprised if they do do it, as opposed to disappointed if they don't.

cybamerc said:
GwymWeepa:

> I'm worried that Nintendo especially won't go the extra mile and offer
> higher definition gaming on monitors because the resolutions would be
> different than HD-tv.

Nintendo is the only company to have publically stated that it's next system will hook up to a computer monitor.

Please post less.

Please reply less :p

No flaming. Nintendo confirmed it. So the Nintendo comment was out of hand. End of the story.

All i'm saying regarding resolutions is that i believe that 720p will work fine on a PC monitor. They won't need to have more than 2 resolutons, maybe 3 at most.

And developers won't need to care about it. If the internal rendering is done at high resolution at all times, the VPU will take care of any resolution output problems. It should be abstract to them, much like it is today with the GC and Xbox... The game is rendered at full res internally, having pro-scan output is only trivial, matter of turning it on and off in the dashboard. Note the word "should". ;)

london-boy:

> And developers won't need to care about it. If the internal rendering is
> done at high resolution at all times

Bug testing, GUI.

london-boy said:
No flaming. Nintendo confirmed it. So the Nintendo comment was out of hand. End of the story.

All i'm saying regarding resolutions is that i believe that 720p will work fine on a PC monitor. They won't need to have more than 2 resolutons, maybe 3 at most.

And developers won't need to care about it. If the internal rendering is done at high resolution at all times, the VPU will take care of any resolution output problems. It should be abstract to them, much like it is today with the GC and Xbox... The game is rendered at full res internally, having pro-scan output is only trivial, matter of turning it on and off in the dashboard. Note the word "should". ;)

Oh, if its that easy, I'll thank the gods...I wouldn't be able to afford an hd-tv, having the option of playing in high-res anyway because I already have a monitor would be terrific.

As for the Nintendo comment, like I said I know they'd be supporting monitors, but to take advantage of all the possibilities that entails is what I question. I had high hopes about the broad band adaptor and have been sorely disappointed, now that's not perfectly analogous to the monitor situation, but I think you catch my point.

cybamerc said:
london-boy:

> And developers won't need to care about it. If the internal rendering is
> done at high resolution at all times

Bug testing, GUI.

Yeah i guess, but god, u'd think that in 2006 or maybe 2007 these would be total jokes...

I really hope some, if not all of the next gen consoles output DVI/HDMI. VGA is nice and all, but it's time to move on.

I would certainly assume so. If they're aiming at HDTV then it's pretty damn easy to fold in monitors as well, and if they're not aiming at HDTV...? :?

Judging off the XNA stuff that MS has been going on about, I think that they could have the possibility of having monitor capabilities but that's the only thing that hint towards it.

Back