Will next-gen gaming be possible in PC monitors?

thekey

Newcomer
A feature of the PS3 that could be changed is that its with no vga/dmi output, thus losing a huge market of possible migrating PC-gamers. I would like to raise a few issues in this regard:

1) does xbox 360 have a vga or dvi output, if so how do you manage to get 16:9 resolutions looking decently in a 4:3 monitor?

2) are there possiblities of a vga/dvi output for the ps3 ? If so, again how could we manage to get the screen looking normally considering that there are more and more monitors that simply auto-adjust and wont let you change size of the image?

3) It is possible to transform hdmi to vga, but what about the audio- and even then could the wireless audo output of the ps3 be used instead?

Using Monitors might be the only way to get the sane 4:3 Aspect-Ratio and higher Res ;)

thekey said:
2) are there possiblities of a vga/dvi output for the ps3 ? If so, again how could we manage to get the screen looking normally considering that there are more and more monitors that simply auto-adjust and wont let you change size of the image?
Maybe a switch in the PS2-Bootmenu that allows you to specify your TV/Monitors Format.
HDMI->DVI Cables should make no problem, atleast for the digital Part of DVI. And you can be sure the PS3 will have something simlar (or even the same) to PS2`s Connector, which carrys RGB and I guess, could potentially drive a VGA-Monitor.

thekey said:
3) It is possible to transform hdmi to vga, but what about the audio- and even then could the wireless audo output of the ps3 be used instead?
Not without expensive electronics.You will be able to get Audio-Out from the regular-TV-Connector though, atleast in Stereo.[/QUOTE]

well according to sony specs:

AV Output
Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
HDMI: HDMI out x 2
Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1
Digital audio: DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1

so I was planing to used the optical audio output and my vga monitor with a hdmi > vga cable the problem is the screen ratio (my monitor auto adjusts).

the analog multiout is for the old tvs - even if i could hook up a monitor there, i would have a top reslution of 540i and thats a complete waste of processing power.
I cant afford buying a digital moitor nor a hdtv so if i cant make the ps3 run with my vga lcd monitor at 720p ( I also have the problem that the problem that it auto adjusts) I simlpy wont buy a ps3 and stick to PC.

The analog output is just that -- analog. Your VGA monitor is also analog. I suspect you will either want to pick up a VGA cable for the multi-out (if offered), or get a component to VGA adaptor and use that.

thekey said:
the analog multiout is for the old tvs - even if i could hook up a monitor there, i would have a top reslution of 540i and thats a complete waste of processing power.
I cant afford buying a digital moitor nor a hdtv so if i cant make the ps3 run with my vga lcd monitor at 720p ( I also have the problem that the problem that it auto adjusts) I simlpy wont buy a ps3 and stick to PC.

Npl what do you mean with " Using Monitors might be the only way to get the sane 4:3 Aspect-Ratio and higher Res ;)"
Its impossible to game with a hdtv resolution designed for 16:9 ratio on a 4:3 screen. The only way would be to adjust the image size of your display so that it fits the 16:9 standard and that is impossible with my lcd monitor since it auto adjusts to the complete screen size. You cant play at 720p or 1080p with a 4:3 aspect ratio it looks too awkward.

And for ban25.. im guessing the analog output is designed for the older tvs and will use a connector similar to the one of the dreamcast if not the same (the input seems to be the same one) so chances are it wont have the necessary brandwith for 720p or 1080p resolutions.

thekey said:
Npl what do you mean with " Using Monitors might be the only way to get the sane 4:3 Aspect-Ratio and higher Res ;)"
Its impossible to game with a hdtv resolution designed for 16:9 ratio on a 4:3 screen. The only way would be to adjust the image size of your display so that it fits the 16:9 standard and that is impossible with my lcd monitor since it auto adjusts to the complete screen size. You cant play at 720p or 1080p with a 4:3 aspect ratio it looks too awkward.
Its a matter of the Game supporting it or not, chances are that it will support both 16:9 and 4:3 Aspect-Ratios( some PS2-Games already do ) and varying resolutions, you only have to tell the game which one to use

thekey said:
And for ban25.. im guessing the analog output is designed for the older tvs and will use a connector similar to the one of the dreamcast if not the same (the input seems to be the same one) so chances are it wont have the necessary brandwith for 720p or 1080p resolutions.
its not called MULTI-AV for no reason, it has a couple of different modes. VGA-Signal is basically the same as RGB-Scart with more bandwith. The PS2 already supports up to 1280*1024 at 75Hz, suitable for Monitors.

HD component output is guaranteed because that is the most common input in HDTVs if I'm not mistaken ;)

thekey said:
A feature of the PS3 that could be changed is that its with no vga/dmi output, thus losing a huge market of possible migrating PC-gamers. I would like to raise a few issues in this regard:

1) does xbox 360 have a vga or dvi output, if so how do you manage to get 16:9 resolutions looking decently in a 4:3 monitor?

I'm currently using my 360 on my 22" CRT (with the official VGA HD cable) since I don't have an HDTV yet. The Dashboard allows you to select quite a few resolutions, including 1280x1024.

In game, it depends. Some games recognize the monitor and render at 4/3 (DoA4, PGR3), others render in 16/9 with black borders (Kameo, PD0, Condemned, XBLA titles). BC games render in 4/3.

Corwin_B said:
I'm currently using my 360 on my 22" CRT (with the official VGA HD cable) since I don't have an HDTV yet. The Dashboard allows you to select quite a few resolutions, including 1280x1024.

In game, it depends. Some games recognize the monitor and render at 4/3 (DoA4, PGR3), others render in 16/9 with black borders (Kameo, PD0, Condemned, XBLA titles). BC games render in 4/3.

That's very dissapointing to hear.

Seeing as many many people still don'thave HDTV's a PC monitor is going to be an obvious choice for many PS3/360 owners.

720p fits perfectly onto most PC monitors ( black bars on the top and bottom, but still true 16:9/10 and 720p ).

You are saying that how the game is displayed "depends on the game." Is there really no option to choose either through the dashboard or ingame options menu? If there isn't, that's a very large oversite that will frustrate many people.

Also, what resolution is the game being displayed in when it's at 4:3? Is it a lower resolution being stretched over the PC monitor or is it 720p being stretched over the PC monitor?

Back