Will newer PS2 hardware run games better?

dangerose

Newcomer
Is it like AMD A64 revision from Winchester to Venice adds support for looser memory timings and SSE3 at a lower Vcore? have a developer thought to benchmark new PS2 revision?

As a console, the idea is to reduce manufacturing costs with the newer tech. At the same time, heat and power consumption are reduced. Clocking the smaller chips higher is possible, but is absurd for the console arena where everything should be equal (if at least for the sake of Q&A for games) and where the normal-clocked chips would be in higher abundance. i.e. "Who would want to buy the crappy edition?"

In reducing the transistor size, there are some redesigns in the chip to make it optimal, but there won't be any fundamental changes or additions.

I wonder if this holds true since both the EE and GS are in one chip...

Does that mean the GS is at the same speed as the EE?

I wonder if this holds true since both the EE and GS are in one chip...

Does that mean the GS is at the same speed as the EE?

The chip probably has different clocks within it, the EE part runs at 300MHz and GS at 150MHz. It's been done for a while now on other processors. Having the GS run at double it normal speed would introduce timing issues for all games released until then.

Or at least, that's what i expect, would be surprised if that wasn't the case.

Does the mini PS2 use that same chip? Or could that chip be actually not an entire exact implementation of the EE and GS?

It'd be silly not to use the same chip I think, as using the same chip gets both better compatibility and benefits from scale of production.

Does the mini PS2 use that same chip? Or could that chip be actually not an entire exact implementation of the EE and GS?

It's the same. For Sony to start producing yet another chip, different from the ones already used on PS2, just to be included in PS3, would be silly. As if they're not spending enough money!

One thing i was thinking though, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony put EE+GS with a higher defect rate in PS3... I mean, the probability that it actually gets used will always be lower than for PStwo... :devilish:

Back