Will Fallout 3 have same DRM as Oblivion?

Discussion in 'Politics & Ethics of Technology' started by Richard, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

Saw on Teh Shack an interview with bethesda where they discuss F3 and its DRM.

Please do read the full article as the following answer does somewhat contradict the above wrt installation limits. Anyway, if they do go the Oblivion route I think it's refreshing that a big dev doesn't feel the need to burden legit customers (too much) with DRM just to make a buck. God knows I have issues with Oblivion gameplay but as long as the games are reasonably good I'll be supporting developers that opt for the smallest DRM intrusion possible.

2. Davros

Legend

3. obonicus

Veteran

PC version is out too, last I heard. Question is how they'll perform in sales. If the 360's sales are low, you'll certainly have a point.

4. knitecrow

Newcomer

Question is, what proportion of console gamers vs PC gamers pirate games? Xbox 360 will outsell the pc version by a wide version, its a no brainer.

I don't see the big problem with DRM. If I had a say, I would make the Fallout 3 only available for download online (through steam or some other distribution) and the require an active broadband connection that constantly authenticates to a secure server.

5. Davros

Legend

and i'll laugh at you when they finally turn off the server :D

6. pcchen

pcchen Moderator
    Moderator Veteran Subscriber

Why? When they turned off the server, they'll mostly provide a non-DRM version, or there will be a non-DRM version around.

Also, the leaked Xbox 360 version is not likely to have much effect, because there are not really that much modded Xbox 360 out there.

7. Richard

Veteran

Well, if the recent examples of Microsoft, Yahoo and Wall-Mart are any indication then no.

In these examples you can always burn to CD and re-rip but no such thing is possible for games.

8. pcchen

pcchen Moderator
    Moderator Veteran Subscriber

I thought most DRM-ed games are cracked?
    And to my understanding it's legal under DMCA to "crack" a game in order to run it when there's no other alternative (i.e. authentication servers are no longer maintained).
    And no, I don't think DMCA is a good law. It's a very bad law and should be abolished.

9. Richard

Veteran

Doesn't make it legal though.

EDIT: What I meant by this is: if you're relying on an illegal program to play a game in the future why not use that illegal program now to play that same game? Once you accept this and you hunt down the dodgy site that has that illegal program why not click on the other link in the same page and download the entire game instead? 5Mb or 5Gb it's just extra traffic.

You can only (legally) circumvent DMCA-protected works if there's an exemption for your particular case. The exemptions have a 3-year lifespan afterwhich they can be renewed or not so even if you can do it now you can't be sure it will be legal in the future. Anyway, Wikipedia tells me that the following exemptions are valid now (pasting only the ones relevant to video games):

Neither one seems to apply to this situation because playing a game does not have the "purpose of preservation or archival reproduction" and DRM-authentication server (for instance) isn't a dongle that malfunctioned or was damaged. Unless you step on the dongle that came with your copy of AutoCAD or you're building a Video Game Museum then these two exeptions don't apply.

The other noteworthy thing is that while it's legal to circunvent DMCA-protected works in these exemptions, it's not clear whether it's legal to distribute tools/software designed to circunvent it (even specifically for those cases where circunvention is allowed). So you can crack your game whose authentication server is gone if some clever lawyer is able to argue that somehow falls in either of those exemptions, but unless you know disassembly it may be (legally) impossible to do so.