Wiitar Hero

Iron Tiger

Regular
I've created some videos to demonstrate a script I wrote for GlovePIE, which lets you use a Wii Remote+Nunchuk to play Frets On Fire (a freeware Guitar Hero clone). Please excuse the terrible quality of the video, as I was using two ancient cameras to do the video capturing.

Anyway, you can check out the vids and download the GlovePIE script for yourself from my newly relaunched site, RhythmGamer.

Very cool. I love Bang Bang, the song is just so catchy and when I play Frets on Fire I must always do it first.

Anyway, I hate to word my question this way, but here it goes: Are the misses caused by the Wiimote/Script not being that accurate or just a lack of skills?

Even when using the keyboard though Frets of Fire always seemed to have some weird input lag to me.

Kotaku'ed!

The misses were attributed to a lot of things. The camera I used to record my hands was so bad that I had to point a spotlight at myself just for it to pick up what little it did. The glare in my eyes, and the fact that I'm standing off to the side made it hard to see the TV. Then there's the stress from having to play the songs over and over again because of not being satisfied with how much I'm sucking, and it made me mess up even more. Response time was terrific. It was much easier for me to play Frets with my Remote+Nunchuk than with my GH guitar on USB. As I noted in the script remarks, the button layout is far from ideal, and the whole thing was mostly intended as a proof of concept. I think it would be cool to use the Remote for strumming with a custom Nunchuk that has a more GH-like fret button layout. Hold B or A and move the Remote to work as a whammy bar with pulling and new "next gen" pushing action. So many possibilities.

How much did the virtual glove cost?

Does it seem better or worse then guitar hero on the guitar controller?

Absolutely awesome that it works by the way.

Not using any glove, just the Wii Remote and Nunchuk. GlovePIE is the software interface that translates the controller inputs into the inputs the game is looking for. It doesn't play as nicely as Guitar Hero with a GH guitar controller because the layout of the Wii Remote just doesn't suit that style of game, and because Frets on Fire doesn't have the depth of Guitar Hero. There's no "whammying" on long notes, and no hammer-ons or pull-offs, though I could have probably added support for that in the GlovePIE script if the game supported it (hold Z to turn Nunchuk into a whammy bar, or something). I've tried the game with a genuine GH controller, and I really sucked at it. The timing seemed way off, and I don't know why, but I seem to be able to play FoF much better using the Wii controller.

I really hope they don't mess with Guitar Hero formula just to add Wiimote function. Just make it like the other versions with the guitar and leave it alone.

Back