Wii's performance compared to Gamecube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flux

Regular
At a 50% clock increase and double the ram would the Wii be twice as powerful as the gamecube?

Assuming they modified different things(like increasing the TEV's inputs from 8 to 16)would it be appropriate to estimate that the Wii's general performance is twice as powerful as its predecessor.

It will be interesting to see what the Wii version of Star Wars: Force Unleashed looks like.

Personally, I think Wii is years behind the tech of the other consoles so it's rather immaterial whether or not it's 2x its predecessor. It's just not in the same league as the other consoles at all. Not that it really matters in the end though. Some of the games look ok, are fun and sell well obviously.

The jump from GCN to Wii isn't just in the clock speeds but also in the storage media which provides a bigger jump in quality than the clock speeds would alone. The GCN was severely limited by its optical media as evident in all the highly compressed audio and low-res textures in some games. I'm not downplaying the double increase in RAM in the Wii but even with only 43MB the GCN could've done more than the stuff we saw sometimes. Look at Twilight Princess with all its low-res textures, some even looked N64 quality. The game data for that game is 1.4GB which maxes out a GCN disc. And look at the jump in texture quality and audio between Mario Sunshine and Galaxy. Sunshine data is 1.4GB and Galaxy game data is 3.6GB making ample use of DVD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming they modified different things(like increasing the TEV's inputs from 8 to 16)would it be appropriate to estimate that the Wii's general performance is twice as powerful as its predecessor.

First of all, I can only assume you're talking about TEV stages here, and quite frankly GCN had 16 stages as well. The confusion here stems from the fact that the earliest GCN revision (one that never went into production) had 8 stages, but it was later revised to 16 stages prior to the GCN launch.

Anyway, I am not a fan of the whole x times more powerful, it's a too simplistic view for analysing / estimating a piece of hardware. Moreover, it's not really a good starting point for a discussion: If you ask for an arbitrary number, all you'll get is arbitrary numbers (and lots of snide remarks :p)
Thus, keeping in general spirit of the Tech forum, I am closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back