Wii Virtual Console *Updated with the list of the first games available*

mkillio

Regular
Has there been any info on the Wii's Virtual Console yet? Screens, price of games, which games etc. I know Sega's on board as well as some TurboGrafx games.

The Virtual Console is on display at Nintendo's E3 console, so you'll find some screenshots on the net. As for games the TurboEngine games is atm 1st party software only.
Nothing on the price yet.

While speaking with Hudson Soft today, IGN learned that the company will bring upwards of 100 titles to Nintendo's Virtual Console. As developer of such classics as Lode Runner, Bomberman, and Bonk, this news is huge for fans of games long past. But that's not all, the news gets even bigger.

Hudson Soft is currently attempting to acquire rights to other third party games to release on the Virtual Console, the company revealed to IGN on Thursday. Developers who no longer exist as actual companies could still see their games make the way to Nintendo's system for downloading. According to one Hudson Soft representative, they "have every single one of [their] lawyers checking into it."

Currently, Bonk's Adventure from the Turbografx is the only actual title announced from the company, and is available to play at Nintendo's E3 booth. Hudson seems to be looking for feedback from gamers on what titles they'd like to see though. IGN was quick to suggest Adventure Island, the classic released on the NES. A knowing smile and "that is important for us to know, thank you," was our reply (so if Adventure Island shows up on the VC, you may thank us personally).

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/708/708057p1.html

Night of the the Living Threads :runaway:

Sega's first titles for the virtual console...

http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732165p1.html

A recent update by the Entertainment Software Ratings Board (ESRB) has revealed a number of SEGA titles coming to Nintendo Wii's Virtual Console. The classic games include all of the following:

* Ecco the Dolphin
* Altered Beast
* Toe Jam & Earl
* Golden Axe
* Columns
* Sonic the Hedgehog
* Ristar

I updated the thread title

* Ecco the Dolphin
* Altered Beast
* Toe Jam & Earl
* Golden Axe
* Columns
* Sonic the Hedgehog
* Ristar
Nice list, albeit a little limited, if you exclude Altered Beast and Golden Axe (The Megadrive/Genesis versions of these games aren't anything to write home about, and in the case of Altered Beast, the arcade version wasn't so great to begin with, let alone the port.)

This short list for the launch, if definitive, seems to indicate that Nintendo and its partners on the Wii Virtual Console will probably release batches of games every once in a while, instead of making their whole back catalogues available from day one. It's smarter from a marketing point of view, clearly.
Dear Santa:

LORDS OF THUNDER

Do it.
You, sir, know your games.

Can the Wii emulate the N64 at full speed with a 729Mhz CPU. The N64 has a 93Mhz R4300i CPU and a 62MHz co-processor plus all the other bits and bobs. Surely this must be too much for a 729Mhz CPU to handle.

It will not be worth playing N64 games on it if it has to skip tons of frames. Imaging playing Mario64 at 10FPS... yuck.

Dear Santa:

LORDS OF THUNDER

Do it.

I pos repped you for that. Great old school shooter.

Though I think that Thunderforce V, Gaiares, Axelay, and Space MegaForce remain the top console shooters from the <=16bit era.

If you get into arcade then you have to start talking Raiden and Gradius.

p.s.: Anyone remember Salamander? ;)

I hope they get handheld and PC devs working on small new games.There are so many great unknown devs making these cool little games that would be perfect for the VC.

Can the Wii emulate the N64 at full speed with a 729Mhz CPU. The N64 has a 93Mhz R4300i CPU and a 62MHz co-processor plus all the other bits and bobs. Surely this must be too much for a 729Mhz CPU to handle.

It will not be worth playing N64 games on it if it has to skip tons of frames. Imaging playing Mario64 at 10FPS... yuck.

:LOL: The GCN ports of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Master Quest were emulated N64 roms. So the Wii certainly has not problems running N64 titles.

Sega isn't releasing Saturn games AFAIK. The Genesis version pales in comparison, so I dunno if you want that. ;)

Sorry for the ignorance, but there was a saturn version of gunstar heroes?

In that case, the version that was released on ps2 was the saturn or the genesis version?

Can the Wii emulate the N64 at full speed with a 729Mhz CPU.

It seems like they are going to be puting a little work into the vc games. I'm sure the Wii could brute force the emulation, but there may be some minor or major tuning put into the games. Upping the framerate for say... Starfox64 would be an easy example.

I pos repped you for that. Great old school shooter.

Though I think that Thunderforce V, Gaiares, Axelay, and Space MegaForce remain the top console shooters from the <=16bit era.

If you get into arcade then you have to start talking Raiden and Gradius.

p.s.: Anyone remember Salamander? ;)

Thank you for the rep! I appreciate that.
I think Thunderforce V is a 32bit gen game. I have the PSX version. It's a pretty ragged looking little game but I love it. I later secured Thunderforce 3 for Genesis and it's as good or better.
I paid a pretty penny for MUSHA... and it's not all that.

Sega isn't releasing Saturn games AFAIK. The Genesis version pales in comparison, so I dunno if you want that. ;)

Wait... was there a Saturn version? In fact, I'm positive there was nomore Gunstar besides the game gear version and the newish GBA game.I have the Genny game and it well predates the Saturn itself. It came with a fruit rollup in the package. That's pretty old.

Sorry for the ignorance, but there was a saturn version of gunstar heroes?

In that case, the version that was released on ps2 was the saturn or the genesis version?

I'm about positive there was no Saturn version. Treasure did a sorta followup called Gunner's Heaven for PSX. It may have been ported at some point?

Just checking here. Has everyone played Ikaruga? And Gradius V?

My wish list which one can't probably be done because of licensing.

Actraiser god I loved this game so much.
WWE no mercy still the best wrestling game out there.
punch out series
Streets of rage series.
Ninja Spirit.
Road rash.

Back