Wii- Virtual Console Issue - Neo Geo Game

Jack_Tripper

Newcomer
Hey there,

Hoping someone else coluld confirm this isssue I'm having with "art of fighting" on the vC for Wii - when I start the game, I can hear sound and obviously the controller works (can hear menu's and button presses) but I have a black screen. when I hit the Home button - I can see the game screen behind the menu choices - but when I click out of that menu - the screen darkens and becomes static (I can hit home again and it'll refresh the screen to wherever it's supposed to be - a'la switching through menu's but when I turn the home screen menu off - it darkens and becomes static again).

I'm using component cables at 480p (WS) on a 50" LCD (1080p) - and have tried using different combinations of resolution and screen format and get the same thing. I've also tried deleting and redownloading the game - and get the same thing.

At this point, since ALL the other VC games work just fine, I'm thinking it has somethign to do with the neo-geo emulation - but I'm not about to download another ($10) title to find out. For the record, again, I've got games from every other console- it's just the Neo-Geo game that's giving me grief?

Any ideas? Is anyone else getting this but me?

Jack

Are you using component or composite cables? I found for example when I was using the mii contest channel for the first time I had an issue that whenever I went into it the screen would lose signal. To fix it I used to unplug the cable and then plug it back in. It was frustrating though because at every screen I had to do this. Then a week later the problem was gone.

Hope this helps.

Ok - so just a little update for those interested.

After hours of exhaustively researching this and finding out that Neo-Geo games are not wild about progressive scan anything - apparently there is a method to disable it (don't even ask me how that works - you guys are the video-philes) in game (and apparently, for one specific game at a time).

Here's how it works:

Load the VC game

Open the Home menu

Go to the "manual" for the game

Hold Z, A and 2 (so yes, you do have to be using the wii-mote and nunchuck to make this work)

If it's going to work for you, you'll hear a confirmation "ding"

- and viola, mysteriously, all is right in the world

I've tested it, and it does work, I can play the game now - though, admittidly, it's a lot more underwhealming graphically than I was expecting (which I'm not sure if it's my rose colored glasses and fond memories, or taking a game meant to run on a 22" 4:3 monitor and stretching it to play on a 60" 16:9 monitor - honestly, it's probalby a little of both).

So, I'm interested now - what the hell kind of fix could this little button mash actually be doing behind the scenes? My wii still shows 480p as the resolution, and the other VC games I play all look the same. Just out of curiousity, I downloaded World Hero's - just to see what happened on initial install - and I DID have to apply the "fix" to make it work (though just like Art of Fighting - the fix seems to stick after rebooting the wii, resetting, changing games, etc).

Wierd...any ideas?

Jacki

Back