[Wii, PS2, PSP] Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

sfried

Regular
So, anybody have it yet?

Presentation seems great so far, but I'm wondering how receptive people feel towards the "reimagined" segments based on what you answer?:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just read IGN's review and it sounds really interesting (concept sounds great). Also it looks really good judging by the screens.

I can't remember the last time I've used my wii but this may just be the title to make me dust it off and put it to use. And I've never played a Silent Hill game before so this might be a good introduction.

I can't remember the last time I've used my wii but this may just be the title to make me dust it off and put it to use.

I find this hard to believe with NSMBW and Murasama, but whatever floats...

More footage with guy playing around with the lighting. I'd expect the shadows to glitch with the way the player fools around with it, but so far so good...

Edit: The clips that come before the above video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PtfI55Wjtg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upSUoD5SQaU

Since this is a 3D forum:
I think Climax did a great job showing what the High Voltage people should be doing.
I guess any doubts about TEV architecture implementing self-shadowing should be put to rest.

Since this is a 3D forum:
I think Climax did a great job showing what the High Voltage people should be doing.
I guess any doubts about TEV architecture implementing self-shadowing should be put to rest.

We were getting similar "self shadowing" on the PS2 for some time. Silent Hill 2 and 3 in particular did some crazy things with the shadows. So nothing surprising IMO to see this implementation on Wii

On another note I feel that they killed Silent Hill 1's atmosphere with this revision

We were getting similar "self shadowing" on the PS2 for some time. Silent Hill 2 and 3 in particular did some crazy things with the shadows. So nothing surprising IMO to see this implementation on Wii
The trouble with that is people kept saying the GameCube was incapable of self-shadowing for some time, too. These same people only looked at a handfull of GameCube (ported) games and even went so far as to saying the PS2 surpassed even that hardware (without looking at Rogue Leader and other GC titles that did feature self-shadows). By the same analogy, the whole idea that Wii was incapable of any self-shadowing arose.
On another note I feel that they killed Silent Hill 1's atmosphere with this revision
Care to elaborate?

Care to elaborate?
The intro of the game and the soundtrack for starters are different and luck the eerie mystery feel of the original.

By the videos I have seen the game is also much more fast paced. Probably way too much compared to any other silent hill.

They have also changed the characters. Their design dont fit with the Silent Hill universe I am used to. Harry for example looks like a geek from a low budget movie and Cheryl the common happy girl. They are too "colorful" as characters compared to the "muddy" and "depressed" ones of the original.

In general if someone showed me this and didnt tell me it was Silent Hill I would have probably not guessed.

Is team Silent still involved in the game or is it still under the western development house that did SH5?

They have also changed the characters. Their design dont fit with the Silent Hill universe I am used to. Harry for example looks like a geek from a low budget movie and Cheryl the common happy girl. They are too "colorful" as characters compared to the "muddy" and "depressed" ones of the original.

From what I understand, character outfits/personalities change depending on what you answer in the psychological profile.

From what I understand, character outfits/personalities change depending on what you answer in the psychological profile.

You mean like facial characteristics and such?

If they are altered to facial features and such that do not fit with the game then they shouldnt be there IMO

So far their behavior and looks during cut scenes didnt fit. And the style of the game changed so much that the atmosphere from what I have seeb doesnt seem to touch the marvel that was Silent Hill 1.

This is probably another effort to milk the series without adding the necessary substance into it

You mean like facial characteristics and such?

If they are altered to facial features and such that do not fit with the game then they shouldnt be there IMO

So far their behavior and looks during cut scenes didnt fit. And the style of the game changed so much that the atmosphere from what I have seeb doesnt seem to touch the marvel that was Silent Hill 1.
No, not just facial characteristics. Like, for example, the kind of person the cop you meet in the beginning will differ depending on what objects you've looked at, etc. and by that, I mean it could be a totally different person in someone elses playthrough.

No, not just facial characteristics. Like, for example, the kind of person the cop you meet in the beginning will differ depending on what objects you've looked at, etc. and by that, I mean it could be a totally different person in someone elses playthrough.

Well it is a nice idea and adds longevity, but it takes away from the personality of the original. It is the same reason why western RPG's rarely had memorable characters for me and many others because there is no specific character in the game with a well thought personality. Its just character x, y or z.

Well it is a nice idea and adds longevity, but it takes away from the personality of the original. It is the same reason why western RPG's rarely had memorable characters for me and many others because there is no specific character in the game with a well thought personality. Its just character x, y or z.
What?

First of all, I disagree with the whole notions about "Western RPGs" (which people mostly refer to American/North American/Canadian made games) having ner personality. In fact, I could cite some European made RPGs with characters that do have definable traits.

And second, have you played the game? It seems to me you're just going by video impressions.

What?

First of all, I disagree with the whole notions about "Western RPGs" (which people mostly refer to American/North American/Canadian made games) having ner personality. In fact, I could cite some European made RPGs with characters that do have definable traits.

And second, have you played the game? It seems to me you're just going by video impressions.
There are almost always exceptions. I was not talking about these exceptions.

And yes I post my impression based on the videos regarding the game's art and style. The videos show many things i dislike in terms of these, regardless of gameplay. Because as a game it might be fun. But as a Silent Hill 1 remake, this doesnt look like Silent Hill.

And yes I post my impression based on the videos regarding the game's art and style. The videos show many things i dislike in terms of these, regardless of gameplay. Because as a game it might be fun. But as a Silent Hill 1 remake, this doesnt look like Silent Hill.
There are more than enough exceptions to make it the rule. I think most people tend to forget that there are other Western countries out there other than America/Canada that produce great, sympathetic character personalities. Take Beyond Good & Evil, for instance...

Going back to Silent Hill, I could probably understand the backlash from a purist's perspective, but I wonder how much the game matches up in quality under its own merits.

I will say, though, that Team Silent's art direction is on a whole league of its own, so I doubt there's going to be any other that can match up to their craftsmanship in models. The art direction on Shattered Memories, however, isn't so bad compared to Homecoming. Perhaps Climax just found their own identity and stopped trying to be like Team Silent, which can be a good or bad thing I guess.

Overall, I find the lighting engine in SM to be much superior to Silent Hill 3's even though that game featured much more detailed models that still give most current gen games a run for its money.

There are more than enough exceptions to make it the rule. I think most people tend to forget that there are other Western countries out there other than America/Canada that produce great, sympathetic character personalities. Take Beyond Good & Evil, for instance...

Going back to Silent Hill, I could probably understand the backlash from a purist's perspective, but I wonder how much the game matches up in quality under its own merits.

I will say, though, that Team Silent's art direction is on a whole league of its own, so I doubt there's going to be any other that can match up to their craftsmanship in models. The art direction on Shattered Memories, however, isn't so bad compared to Homecoming. Perhaps Climax just found their own identity and stopped trying to be like Team Silent, which can be a good or bad thing I guess.

Overall, I find the lighting engine in SM to be much superior to Silent Hill 3's even though that game featured much more detailed models that still give most current gen games a run for its money.

Well the Wii game does run at a pretty consistent 30 fps. While the geometry load is less, it's obvious the texture load as well as shader effects are certainly in another league of the PS2. Also to be considered that in SH3, the camera is more constrained and tightly controlled as to probably take care of some scenes that would probably be more difficult for the PS2 to handle, as opposed to Shattered Memories, where you're in real control of it in much larger environments to boot.

Is not a Silent Hill remake. It share nothing with Silent Hill other than the characters names and the initial set up.

I am playing the PSP ver. & Goodness Gracious it looks amazing for a PSP game !
Though the Wii ver. is even more amazing with its added visual oomph ! [real snow particles that collide ! :)]. The atmosphere is brilliant.

Back