Wii online extension of DS online

Not really, no. It's functional, but it's not pretty and it's not exactly friendly. Trying to organise games with your mates is a real pain in the backside.

Not ideally impressed by this news, Xbox Live is pretty much a perfect example of how console (and maybe PC) online should be handled, I've pretty much given up attempts at organising Mario Kart games with my mates on DS.

Never played the DS either but from friends who have I hear its terrible. Your ID is a unique 12 digit code that has to be exchanged with everyone you want to play with in each instance.

J_Saint said:
Never played the DS either but from friends who have I hear its terrible. Your ID is a unique 12 digit code that has to be exchanged with everyone you want to play with in each instance.

What do you mean?

J_Saint said:
Bad wording on my part as it is for each game. You have to exchange a unique 12-digit code with each friend for each online game.

I think that's for safety reasons.

NANOTEC said:

How so?

It's daft, is what it is. The DS doesn't have it's own identity as such, each game cart does. The only upside to it is that, I would assume potentially at least, the wireless connection method can be upgraded. Currently DS only supports WEP authentication, at least being cart-based it might be easier to introduce WPA instead, but I don't know the exact hardware specifics of the system.

It really is an awful system though, contact all your mates to give them all your unique IDs for every game you own or you'll never find them online, no system-only connect, so you can't see when your mates are online, you have to organise games in advance etc... I know it's a handheld, but it could have been so much nicer

NANOTEC said:
Hardly necessary though. Messenger is a good example of how it should be done. I don't let anyone know my messenger name, it's not public knowledge. I give that name to friends. They invite me to join my friends list. I can remove them and stop them seeing me, or have them able to contact me. No unwanted persons can messenger me without first obtain my messenger name and then having me agree to let them contact me. A single online identity is perfectly adequate and very convenient.

Yea, it's a pain in the rear and a perfect example of how NOT to do this.

Quite disappointing considering Nintendo normally focus on ease-of-use (and succeed).

Shifty Geezer said:
Hardly necessary though. Messenger is a good example of how it should be done. I don't let anyone know my messenger name, it's not public knowledge. I give that name to friends. They invite me to join my friends list. I can remove them and stop them seeing me, or have them able to contact me. No unwanted persons can messenger me without first obtain my messenger name and then having me agree to let them contact me. A single online identity is perfectly adequate and very convenient.

But don't a lot of pedophiles use messenger to do their deeds?

NANOTEC said:

How does that translate to console gaming, exactly?
I don't think many people will be making use of Mario Kart or the like to groom their competitors...

There are freaks and wierdos out there, Messenger and the like might be useful to them, but I doubt many young kids etc on Live! have their gamer profile set to "innocent young girl" and even those that do *probably* don't get people seeking them out to chat to and "groom" while playing games.

The simple fact is, the easier it is to co-ordinate a friends list, the more fun (and easier) online gaming is, if there are proper controls in place (on Live! you can report other users if you deem it necessary) it shouldn't be a problem. The gamer number for every game system is more a pain than it is a decent security measure.

NANOTEC said:
I thought they used open webforums. You can't contact someone over MSN messenger if you set it's options right without giving them express permission, and that's how online gaming/communication should work if it's to be convenient and secure.

Back