WII-no online from third party till early 2007

pc999

Veteran
Gamers hoping for an online component, however, are in for bad news, because one isn't planned. Activision would not say why, but IGN has separately learned from multiple development sources that Nintendo will not release Wii Wi-Fi Connection libraries to third parties until early 2007, which means that no third party launch title will have an online mode.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/728/728041p1.html

This is very bad, but it is supossed to be there some few games with online (RS, SSB)?

I'm not a big online gamer, but I was hoping the Wii might make it easy/fun and to get into it a bit...this isn't happy news. :(

I'm not a big online gamer, but I was hoping the Wii might make it easy/fun and to get into it a bit...this isn't happy news. :(

Can you use friend codes and easy in the same sentence.

Anyway I think this will hit really hard is in the simple games like Wii Sports or VC, it can be great game on online but against the CPU should die very fast, thus kiling a good advantage of wii (I doubt they wouldnt give them the librarys if they are ready).

Whats the big fuss about? Wii wll most probably released in November 2006. Early 2007 isnt far off

Whats the big fuss about? Wii wll most probably released in November 2006. Early 2007 isnt far off

The libraries (SDK/API) won't be avaiable till 2007. Once the devs finally do have the libraries it's still going to take months to actually implement something with it. This will cause games to get delayed etc.

It is a big deal.

Sorry to be so negative, but this says something about Nintendo's lack of commitment to online gaming. Not to mention their lack of commitment to their 3rd party partners. Very weak indeed if true.

The libraries (SDK/API) won't be avaiable till 2007. Once the devs finally do have the libraries it's still going to take months to actually implement something with it. This will cause games to get delayed etc.

It is a big deal.

Sorry to be so negative, but this says something about Nintendo's lack of commitment to online gaming. Not to mention their lack of commitment to their 3rd party partners. Very weak indeed if true.

I dont understand this assumption that nintendo is trying to screw 3rd parties. We have no idea how far nintendo has progressed with their online plans for Wii (save for their intended goals), on top of that we don't know what kind of relationship the devs giving Ign this information have with nintendo. How do we know its not the 3rd party devs that aren't fully commited to producing Wii titles??

This seems typical of an ign rumour just enough information to cause a stir, but no where near enough info for anyone who gives it some thought to draw real conclusions.

In its current state, saying that this news is a big deal, or reflective of nintendos opinion/commitment to online/3rd parties is being overly dramatic

Has any 3rd party launch titles announced any online play?
The only one I recall is call of duty 3, and the Wii version is said to not have online.

It is a big deal.
It would be a big deal if developers couldn't make software that accesses the network. What do these libraries encompass?

As a comparison point nobody really gives a damn about DirectPlay on the PC. You just use TCP/IP. Network functionality might be just as possible on the Wii without those mysterious libraries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please be because Nintendo is revamping their online and removing the disgusting idea of "friend codes".

I think Online is where its at these days, but thats only my opinion. I used to be a console gamer only but PC stole my soul so now I'm obsessed with both.

That being said, what I'm trying to say is that Online makes games more interesting (for me since I like to compete alot, not that good habit sometimes! :)) when I play singleplayers with PC I often notice how I get bored extremely fast (I never even finished half life 2, it just got boring in one point :D) episode 2 looks smoking hot though. With PS2 I only buy games like FF/MGS so I don't miss online, however online mode in MGS looked really funny when I saw it (not sure how fun it is in the end, anyone can tell me?). I have to admit though that I'm extremely excited with the news of multiplayers being pushed alot these days so the news of this (for me atleast) is a relatively big minus FOR NOW, early 2007 isn't that far away anyway. ;)

How lame. I remember Nintendo doing something similar with the Gamecube, only they eventually let sega have the online libraries and pretty much no one else.
They also did it with the DS I believe, and it resulted in the DS being out for like 2 years before its first online game hit. (or would it be just a year?)

Hopefully nintendo won't ruin or seriously delay online for another one of their systems. Come on, XBox 360 had it out of the box Nintendo, don't wait until half way through this gen before you get any notable online support.

Back