Wii nearly UK's best seller

The Nintendo Wii is on course to hit one million sales in the UK within three to four weeks, according to official sell-through figures from Chart-Track.

Currently the console is outselling the 360 in the UK by over four to one, and the PS3 by more than six to one each week. If it keeps it up, it should pass the GameCube's lifetime UK sales figure of just over a million by the end of September.
Advertisement

Naturally, then, its next milestone will be to overhaul Microsoft's lead in the UK - which, if the current trend continues, could be before the end of October. Although with Halo 3 due out at the end of September and rumours of a possible price-cut to coincide with it, Nintendo will have its work cut out to claim the number one spot that early.

Similar success stories are evident all around the world, with Nintendo swiftly closing on Microsoft to become the console manufacturer with the biggest worldwide installed base.

The Japanese giant is clearly on something of a roll, with DS installed base figures in the UK now around the 4 million mark.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=81427

Imagine what a $199 Wii will do.

Well, it means that the PS3 sales are lower than 360 ones despite what we can read every day from random posters.

Well, it means that the PS3 sales are lower than 360 ones despite what we can read every day from random posters.
That was because the EU launch was more recent, and it was still selling due to pent up demand. Once that demand is met, it naturally settled at what the price and software lineup dictated, which is third place. I don't know why some thought the PS3 was going do that much better there... as if people EU are so much richer than people in the US and Japan.

Everything I read was that the 360 was doing bad in Europe EXCEPT in the U.K. That, however, says little about whether or not the PS3 is doing well. ;)

Really ? Look a software sales from UK, germany and even spain lately. It seems that Wii sales >>>>> 360 sales >>PS3 sales. Could you provide some hardware numbers showing that PS3 is outselling 360 ? I read often people posting that mantra: "Europe IS Sonyland" while it WAS only.

Really ? Look a software sales from UK, germany and even spain lately. It seems that Wii sales >>>>> 360 sales >>PS3 sales. Could you provide some hardware numbers showing that PS3 is outselling 360 ? I read often people posting that mantra: "Europe IS Sonyland" while it WAS only.

I'm not saying it can be backed up with numbers. It's just what industry folks are saying.

Everything I read was that the 360 was doing bad in Europe EXCEPT in the U.K. That, however, says little about whether or not the PS3 is doing well. ;)

From what I've read the 360 does well in Northern European territories, must be our shared Celtic/Saxonic ancestry leading us to the same console :LOL:

Southern Europe is where the 360 has not done well, I think MS admitted as much recently saying that they faced an uphill battle in Spain for example. Although I suppose that with an absense on any concrete data for the region were left to our own imaginations on what "not done well" really means.

Even though Chart-Track themselves have released this information people on the internet forums are still crying foul over these numbers. I'm not sure why, the last Chart-Track info I got my hands on suggest that these numbers were quite real.

No proof, but I came back from Spain 1 week ago and all the stores there almost have no x360 stuff. Only things like the remote. Not that the ps3 did alot better with not more than 10 games to chose from.

That wernt games stores though.

From what I've read the 360 does well in Northern European territories, must be our shared Celtic/Saxonic ancestry leading us to the same console :LOL:

Southern Europe is where the 360 has not done well, I think MS admitted as much recently saying that they faced an uphill battle in Spain for example.

+1

The UK accounts for a huge part of the total European video games sales by the way.

The Wii seem to not be supply-contrainted actually in my region in France all the shops have a display "We got Wii".

Back