Wii HW unfinished?

pc999

Veteran
http://wii.nintendo.com/hardware.html

CPU: PowerPC CPU (code-named "Broadway"). Made with a 90 nm SOI CMOS process, jointly developed with and manufactured by IBM.

Graphics Processing Unit: Being developed with ATI.

Or just a typo?

If real what does this mean? Will we get substancial better gfx?If so here the CPU ends in there? And why the CPU is finished and the GPU is not?

I don't think final kits will be going out until June/July. Google it. So the chip must have finished in the past couple months.

Sorry to not bring you a proper source, I try to track it but now I cant find it, but it defenitively it looks very interesting.

http://boards.revolutionreport.net/index.php?showtopic=8334

"IGN: Is the hardware as easy to use on the Wii as it was with the GameCube? The two systems are very similar is structure we're told.

Konami: Yes, the structure is very similar to GameCube, but you already knew that. The development was not that difficult, as the Wii system has built in physics simulation. That helped the process. "

Dont know if it true but it would be a great addition.

PS: it may be related so I post it here too.

I believe that is a variation of the ATI X1400 or atleast Flipper with ATI RV516 Shaders.

The reason is that is a GPU designed for small laptops and can give more image quality than a Gamecube based hardware and more FX in the games.

pc999 said:
Or just a typo?

If real what does this mean? Will we get substancial better gfx?If so here the CPU ends in there? And why the CPU is finished and the GPU is not?

The Japanese site doesn't mention anything of an ongoing development process, so I think it's a typo.

Urian said:
I believe that is a variation of the ATI X1400 or atleast Flipper with ATI RV516 Shaders.

The reason is that is a GPU designed for small laptops and can give more image quality than a Gamecube based hardware and more FX in the games.
I'm quite sure it's been mentioned several times that the chip is custom design for nintendo, not built off any existing PC chip?

hupfinsgack said:
The Japanese site doesn't mention anything of an ongoing development process, so I think it's a typo.

Typo, mistranslation or just a convenient reason/excuse to not have to present any clock speed numbers - that would only serve to look inferior compared to the competition's.

*G*

ninzel said:
I think sometimes we read too much into simple sentences.

Hey, I wanna read something into it!

Perrin's quote probably means that hardcore gamers shouldn't discount Nintendo for lacking hardware power, because they'll still have a lot of interesting stuff to show (games wise) that no hardcore gamer should miss.

the Hollywood GPU for Wii *is* a custom GPU for Nintendo, not based on any specific PC GPU.

Hollywood HAS to be heavily based on Flipper, with some extensions/improvements.

Hollywood is not a Flipper, but it's not a departure from Flipper.

kinda like Nvidia upgraded the NV40-GeForce 6800 into the NV47~G70-GeForce 7800 GTX

Megadrive1988 said:
the Hollywood GPU for Wii *is* a custom GPU for Nintendo, not based on any specific PC GPU.

Hollywood HAS to be heavily based on Flipper, with some extensions/improvements.

Hollywood is not a Flipper, but it's not a departure from Flipper.

kinda like Nvidia upgraded the NV40-GeForce 6800 into the NV47~G70-GeForce 7800 GTX

Or like how they upgraded the Geforce SDR into the Geforce 4 MX!

German IT news-site heise has also mentioned that Nintendo is still improving the controller. They are working on incooperating an object tracking sensor from PixArt (see their press release), but I'm not sure what that is going to be used for exactly, other than the rather generic quote "to make interaction between the controller and software more precise".
Neither did Nintendo comment on whether this will be integrated into the controller at launch or whether it'll be an upgrade / extra peripheral.

[maven] said:
German IT news-site heise has also mentioned that Nintendo is still improving the controller. They are working on incooperating an object tracking sensor from PixArt (see their press release), but I'm not sure what that is going to be used for exactly, other than the rather generic quote "to make interaction between the controller and software more precise".
Neither did Nintendo comment on whether this will be integrated into the controller at launch or whether it'll be an upgrade / extra peripheral.

Could be plans to do something like the eyetoy, except without the intent of ever showing the user the video, and just using the camera for tracking of the positioning of the wii wand.

[maven] said:
German IT news-site heise has also mentioned that Nintendo is still improving the controller.
That's not Nintendo improving the controller. From what I can see, that's a bit of PR trumpeting that Nintendo chose their motion sensors for the wiimote.

Frankly, if Nintendo hasn't finished and locked down the hardware by now, then they're not launching this year... I can't believe they'd still be working on this thing other than doing like, debugging and minor modifications and cost reduction and such.

This is a diferent company.

Anyway it may be true (and on track, launchin in 06) in the sense that it is tech that still not in the E3/not final dev kits.(in the same sense that one could say that Sony is still working on their DS3 too)

Last edited by a moderator:
Teasy said:
Where it fails is
This “moleâ€￾ also says that the Wii will not be comparable with Playstation 3, which will be a vastly technically superior machine. The Wii has no HD capabilities but it connects to a computer monitor, the informer says this means something…
When we're talking about graphics, we already know that XB360 is technically more advanced (in terms of features) than PS3's RSX

Surpassing 360, that I find a bit hard but we already heard this many times so it is no suprisse we hear one more, or little less, a lot of things about multiplatform games, MR comments and UE3, etc...

Anyway I am expecting something in between XB and 360. closer to the last one.

BTW how is the site according to rumurs, reliable or not:?:

Kaotik said:
When we're talking about graphics, we already know that XB360 is technically more advanced (in terms of features) than PS3's RSX

Dev had been said that it PS3 is more powerfull, not that much but...

pc999 said:
Surpassing 360, that I find a bit hard but we already heard this many times so it is no suprisse we hear one more, or little less, a lot of things about multiplatform games, MR comments and UE3, etc...

Anyway I am expecting something in between XB and 360. closer to the last one.

BTW how is the site according to rumurs, reliable or not:?:

Dev had been said that it PS3 is more powerfull, not that much but...
IMO "technically superior" means more advanced, not more powerful, but you might be right

Back