Wii first-party games for $49.99?

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Shifty Geezer, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=66439
    That might well add to the appeal of the console, though I think $50 is too high for real 'casuals'.

2. NavNucST3

Veteran

So the same as Microsoft, however, maybe they will not have a lowest price mandate like MS, so maybe some of the simpler games, will be in the $20-$30 range. MS has their lowest price mandate set at $39.99.

I'm sure I would not buy Wii Sports for $50. Mario and Zelda, yes.

3. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Is it the same as MS? The report says it's $10 cheaper than XB360 first-party titles. That'll be RRP and you'll be able to find cheaper at some outlets.

There's also the question of whether Nintendo prices will drop, as Iwata (IIRC) said prices should stay constant throughout a titles life. If they take this path there won't be any budget Platinum/Greatest Hits type sellers, so the minimum price for Nintendo games isn't yet known. I imagine they'll be forced to go with budget rereleases if everyone else does, no matter how much they may dislike the idea.

4. StefanS

StefanS meandering Velosoph
    Veteran

I am pretty sure that Nintendo won't sell the "easy access" / simple games at $50. If the DS pricing is an precedence, such games will be sold for a reduced price just like Brain Training, etc.

5. thenefariousone

Newcomer

The article's wrong. First party titles on the 360 have always been $50. Aside from Test Drive and Table Tennis, third parties have been charging $10 more.

Numerous places, including ign have talked about it.

6. pc999

Veteran

100% agree with you, price must go down for a real mass market.

7. Teasy

Veteran

$50 RRP is a pittance for a new console game IMO, you Americans are spoilt :)

8. Magnum PI

Veteran

first party being cheaper than third parties = unfair competition.

9. pc999

Veteran

Personally I am thinking if this isnt too high even for usal gamers, I mean, it looks like companys are investing heavy on Wii games, ie IIRC for launch window, Nintendo do have 7 or more games, EA does have 6 or more, Ubisoft does have 7, Activision a few more and many more companys have plans for launch games, many of them high profile games, that maybe ok for a console with 100M user base but there will not even be 6M Wii┬┤s till March.

It seems a very small market for so many games at that price but at reduced price it may no be.

What do you think?

BTW I fund anouther quote.

Isn't time for current/last gen games starting to have reduced prices :???: (I think that had happen with PSOne games more or less at this time)

#9 pc999, Aug 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2006