Wii=cheaper games? What do you think?

pc999

Veteran
We know that wii games are much cheaper (overall 1/3, without need for new tech) to produce than 360/PS3 ones, still those keep the same than XB/PS2 games (at least now), do you think we will see Wii games cheaper than the others (like it should happen with PS2 games soon), or in the other hand we will see more content on Wii games. We already saw this happens with some games this gen and Atari is doing it tooand Nintendo said in GDC(?) that they are making ways so companys could put lower prices on their games thing that would make it much more mass market.

(I also wonder if they will not do something like STEAM after all Connect24 can download in sleep mode but if it is only for maps and such then there will not be that usefull but for a full game (directly to a HDD or even a DVD recorder (that is very cheap)), making it cheaper and easier to use for those without time (Connect24).)

I think that overall we will see games geting cheaper by looking at production costs, strategy of at least being 2nd console within gamers and manly because they want the mass market (do you think that DVDs would as popular if they cost 3x more, I really doubt that) but I wondr if this will be across the board. Because while games like Wii Sports would probably make much more profit, others like Mario may not, and in cases like Madden it would be even more interesting as it does have much more mass market appeal it can sell to Maddens 360/PS3 version owners too and make a lot of people that never played try it.

What do you think:?:

Cheaper than the $60 they're aspiring towards now? Likely. Cheaper than usual...? Probably not.

They have plenty of previous-generation stuff they'll be offering to take up the slack for cheap games, so I see no pressing reason for them to underprice Revolution games from the get-go.

cthellis42 said:
Cheaper than the $60 they're aspiring towards now? Likely. Cheaper than usual...? Probably not.

They have plenty of previous-generation stuff they'll be offering to take up the slack for cheap games, so I see no pressing reason for them to underprice Revolution games from the get-go.
Personally I believe they will be cheaper, avoiding having them overpriced ;)

Well, Nintendo already went for cheaper games with the DS compared to GBA.

Many GBA games still sell for 65 euros around here while most DS games sell for 39 euros or less.
(introductory prices for new games)

Mendel said:
Well, Nintendo already went for cheaper games with the DS compared to GBA.

Many GBA games still sell for 65 euros around here while most DS games sell for 39 euros or less.
(introductory prices for new games)

Indeed, even Brain Traning + Suduko is supossed to be 20 euros, IMO this is the best (and only?) way to get that game really in the mass market.

Ingenu said:
Nintendo aiming at 50$/€ AFAIR.
Prolly only first party games though...

IIRC they said that games would not be higher than 50$, not that it would cost that.

a688 said:
Since when were development costs directly related to product costs?

There is more than just dev costs, as I wrot in my post.

I highly doubt many publishers, if any at all, upped their production costs 20% over thier previous total costs when moving to the 360. It seems to me that the more pressing factor is that they can't make a whole lot off a game with so few consoles out there, and with so few games too choose they are in a position to ask more for what they have.

Back