Wifi boost to 1KM, does Laptop/cellphone still can connect?

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
Hello, i have bad english.. but i try:

im considering to boosting my wifi by installing long antenna. So i can run around while streaming music from my PC on home.

if i boost the wifi to 1KM. Does cellphone/laptop located farther than 100meter still can connect to them?
or the range will be about the same, because the antenna on laptop/cellphone did not get boosted.

the law for maximum radios are 5 KM. so i should be fine boosting to 1KM.

Thanks

EDIT:
how about WiFi repeater?
its very cheap
http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/__wir...3A1QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQ_sopZ15QQ_scZ1

EDIT2:
eh.. wifi repeater need wall plug. cant use it haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
i would buy a regular wifi router... probably tp-link because it's cheaper and as good as the more expensive brands... and put it into repeater or bridge mode. it should offer better range than those small wifi repeater with built in antenna.

btw, long antenna wouldn't work properly because it's directional. Or maybe you want to use a large omni antenna? If you want to share the Wi-Fi in an open space, it should work well. But a repeater or a few of those should work much better. Just make sure that the repeaters all works in n mode because I believe repeater over wireless would halve the bandwidth. It would be better if you can connect the Wi-Fi AP/router directly with the main AP/router through Ethernet.

Last edited by a moderator:
It probably won't work, becauese your remote devices will have to be putting out enough power to scream back through what is being put out by the repeater, and to cover large distances. This is why cities don't just have one big antenna in the middle (and because of frequency reuse). That only works for one-way transmission, such as for television.

Directional antennas and repeaters are used to link two distant networks together, not really for clients to connect from miles away. That's why you need repeaters/extenders - you're effectively making two antennas far apart from your clients to talk to at two locations, but it's only the repeaters/routers that talk to each other across the large distance.

And the further you go in a city, the more other networks will interfere with you, which is why you join two networks, rather than have one big one.

First look up your countries laws for max EIRP ( i have never seen a max range law) in the 2.4ghz and 5ghz spectrum ranges. 36DBi is a pretty common max for 2.4, 5ghz is allover the place. I would only be looking at 2.4, 5.0 attenuation will be to great.

From there its a matter of understanding the max transmit power of the client devices, you want this at worst case matched on the AP side, the lower the AP transmit power the better.

Then you have to decide on what you want to provide coverage for and select an antenna to suet. Because of the EIRP/power limits you will be trading coverage for range and the reality is your not going to hit a km unless your using something with a very narrow beam width like a yagi or a parabolic dish. I have some 2.4ghz 12-15dbi 30 degree 4x4:3 mimo sector antennas and even those are only good for around 400-500 meters on a good day but bounces can play absolute havoc.

I likely haven't helped you much but hopefully i have given you some background in the technologies you are trying to play with. What would normally be done is setup a point to point link in 5 ghz range ( its much "cleaner") using a pair of parabolic dishes that have 1-3 degrees of beam width. Alternatives like mesh protocols also exist but that would require many access points.

cheers

hmm, with dish or cantenna, if it goes to 300m. the smartphone still able to connect?
im confused about your 2nd paragraph.

Not unless the antenna is tracking the smartphone and has relatively clear sight to it.

Unless you are working in the field on a farm or in a similar situation the whole idea is infeasible.

Do you really need to go that far? What do you need exactly? Is it 1km or 100m, because that's a massive difference. How the setup will be used?
The law in his country should be 100mW transmit power and 36dbm for EIRP.

Speaking from a lot of experience here.

By boosting your router output to 100mW and installing proper omni-directional or Sector antenna you can easily boost your range to 1km. Your laptop antenna has to be decent but it doesn't have to be boosted the same as AP's simply because Access Point antenna will let it detect much weaker signals than before. I once did link from a laptop (38mW WiFi card) to my Linksys WRT54G (100mW hack) from around 5km-7km and it worked well. AP had 18dbi sector antanna and I had clear line of sight to my AP tower. Also worth mentioning this test was done in area with almost no other outdoor Wi-Fi devices! Obstacles are the biggest problem as even few trees can block your signal!

If you live on a farm then this project if doable, if it's forest or city then forget it! At best you will get spotty coverage in the latter enviroments.

BTW my longest link not exceeding 100mW output power was point-to-point 31km using high gain directional antennas (27dbi if my memory serves me well). I could get up to 5.5mbps from 54g devices but it was pain in the a** to set it up and was very sensitive to weather.

For anyone who want to see what I had to do to get 1Mbps [POLPACK-T synchronous line] internet access back in 2003 look at my two albums :smile:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/116969687598905377094/albums/5907082091641367697

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/116969687598905377094/albums/5907077726620655905

Be sure you are not messing up other people's signals though. I remember there was this issue in here Brazil a few years ago when people were trying to play smart ass and were putting big antenas at their homes and carrying a portable one with them, the size of a 007 suitcase, to talk on the phone through their residential line instead of getting a cellphone. The promblem was they started messing up airplane's comunications, not good at all. When it started getting critical multiple arrests were made.

oh that radio talk antennae. Its still commonly used here. Houses can install it themself.

btw it seems the best scenario will be putting WiFi repeater. Hmm, i wonder if i can persuade neighbors to install with their own cost :p

:D :D

Back