Widespread desertions: Over before it's started?

Silent_One

Newcomer
Widespread desertions from Iraqi army
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,917663,00.html
The reports, which are updated at least four times daily and are distributed among senior British and US officers, paint a picture of the dying hours of Saddam's 30-year iron grip on Iraq as it finally and dramatically falls apart, even before the British and US invasion gets under way.

"We are looking at wholesale desertions in some areas," said an intelligence officer. "In the southern area, where there are six Iraqi divisions, 50% of their officers are planning to surrender once the campaign opens.................. In and around Baghdad, the desertion rate is lower, but even among Saddam's elite Republican Guard divisions, whose loyalty to their leader has been unquestioned until now, 23% have deserted.

Lets hope this is over fast....

If it turns out that there isn't much of a fight, then it kinda proves there are no "WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION", now doesn't it? :)

If it turns out that there isn't much of a fight, then it kinda proves there are no "WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION", now doesn't it?

No, it doesn't. It proves they didn't put up a fight.

Himself said:
If it turns out that there isn't much of a fight, then it kinda proves there are no "WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION", now doesn't it? :)

How so? When all is said and done they will know if there is or not. Further it will be a great boon for Iraq if all is finished up with easily. Lets hope there is little fighting. One should consider Iraq has an incredibly large army in the order of 500 000 soldiers so I would expect mass desertions particularly if they dislike Sadam. But there will be many who will fight but they will lose. So even after all is accounted for and Sadam is gone and there are no WMD found I think it will be a very positive developement for Iraqs people. Personally I think the matter is more about removing Sadam and his terrorist training programs then WMD. But there is plenty of evidance from the past that says that Iraq has still a lot of chemical weapons.

It proves that the only people who support Saddam live in the Western World.

Of course people who have the audacity to disagree with war must be scapegoated as Saddam lovers, obviously your viewpoint is so weak that you're forced to scapegoat all those who dare disagree that the inevitable deaths of tens if not hundreds of thousands doesnt justify this war.

RussSchultz said:
If it turns out that there isn't much of a fight, then it kinda proves there are no "WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION", now doesn't it?

No, it doesn't. It proves they didn't put up a fight.

It doesn't take an entire army to lauch biological or chemical weapons, even if there are just the hard core guard left, if they have the goods, they will use them. If you think Hussein is the one bad apple in the barrel you're nuts, which is why I don't put much stock in demonizing the one man, it's the whole regime.

some smartass redneck said:
It proves that the only people who support Saddam live in the Western World.

I don't think I read about anybody supporting Saddam Hussein, and 90% of the opposition to the war came from the East. :)

Himself said:

I'm a redneck? Whatever... since the quintessential characteristic of being a redneck is to not wear any pants or shorts other than kaki's since the age of ten, the embodiment of the polo shirt ideal and the eternal hate of long hair ;)

I really hate mullets... lol. So that comment better have been tongue-in-cheek - or we're going to have problems. ;)

i had a mullet once, well i had long hair but when i started going balled it began to turn into an unintentional mullet so i had to hack it all off. just another case of when bad things happen to good people the way i see it. ;)

back the topic though, i did not support Sadaam by any means; but i supported handling this situation in such an imperialistic manor even less. i do hope diplomacy and fellowship start to back into fashion soon and we put a rest to making people run for their lives.

Vince said:
Thats the point, I'm the anti-hick. And damn proud of it... mullets suck!!

aw Vince, there is not reason to make prejudice generalizations, even self-confessed hicks do their share of good for this world. i would not be suppressed if some of the food you ate today was grown by a man with a mullet, or a woman with one for that matter. ;)

There will be WMDs. If none really exist, the United States will plant the evidence. After all, the ends justifies the means, right?

Like we faked the moon landing, right?

Government officials have already commented that people will claim we planted the evidence anyway, if found. I've heard people discuss this for weeks on the radio.

Look, 1 or 2 chemical shells are implantable, but do you really think the US can fly in 50,000 liters of WMD in Russian built equipment under the nose of the worlds press who are blanketing the area and store them into Iraq? What if the press is invited immediately after the conflict to tag along with inspectors, and they are the first to discover it?

It appears that the conspiracy nuts will believe anything as long as it supports their nutcase theory. No doubt, if 1 million Iraqi people parade in the streets, there will be claims that it was engineered and staged by the CIA. What will it take for you people to believe?

If I was the US, I would forget about planting WMDs. I would plant evidence against France and Russia (much easier), discrediting their positions because of some nefarious backdoor dealings with Sadaam.

Back