Wi-fi causing autism?

Whatever, these days they say you get sick from just about everything.

Even if it is true, which I doubt we will ever know as im sure it will end in a tug o war just like the you can/cant get sick from cellphones you can forget that they will ban wifi.

Tell all those self important "writers" in Starbucks! Before it's too late!

huh? Those signals would be on the 2.4GHz band. Welcome to microwave ovens and cordless phones...

huh? Those signals would be on the 2.4GHz band. Welcome to microwave ovens and cordless phones...
lineplot.php

lineplot.php

Seems like that might explain why incident rates have been growing so much.

Are we even sure that Autism is caused by metallic build-up in the brain? Last I heard, no one was sure just what caused it.

Priceless.

I don't quite see how this correlates. I'm not disclaiming it outright, but the number of cases diagnosed is very likely closely linked to how much we know about the disease ... Not to mention that I'm not so sure that Wifi is the most likely source for metals buidling up in the brain compared to other sources of metal, to be honest.

I'm with Arwin here -- simply because we know more about the disease means that more people will be found affected.

It used to be that only the extreme and debilitating autism cases were truly linked to their source. More and more, science is finding that a lot of highly functional people in this world "suffer" from minor forms of autism. In fact, with some of the math / science wizards we have on this forum, it's likely that we have some highly functional autistic members right now on this forum.

Autism comes in many varieties, many of which we didn't know existed a decade ago.

Spin spin spin the wheel... where will it stop, nobody knows. Spin spin spin the wheel... where did it stop? Goldfish.

Spin spin spin the wheel... where will it stop, nobody knows. Spin spin spin the wheel... where did it stop? Autism.

New health scare of the week: goldfish cause autism!!

what a load of rubbish,,

more like

stupid research == k.availabilty of research grants ^2

if it really did cause it, they'd be able to isolate non wifi kids and wifi kids...........

anyway, i'm more worried by the reduction of pirates due to the increase in average global temperature..
http://www.venganza.org/

Spin spin spin the wheel... where will it stop, nobody knows. Spin spin spin the wheel... where did it stop? Goldfish.

Spin spin spin the wheel... where will it stop, nobody knows. Spin spin spin the wheel... where did it stop? Autism.

New health scare of the week: goldfish cause autism!!
I say we burn scientists and researchers at the stake. What good are they for. :???:

I say we wait until the research is complete before allowing the press to report it.

Read this:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn4036.html
They (OP) completed their study and published it (not in the most prestigious publication). If the press covers it, so be it. What really needs to be done is more independent studies to either prove whether or not there is a link. Just because they found a link doesnt mean it's definitely there. Your post sounded like they just randomly picked what they would publish.

They (OP) completed their study and published it (not in the most prestigious publication). If the press covers it, so be it. What really needs to be done is more independent studies to either prove whether or not there is a link. Just because they found a link doesnt mean it's definitely there.

Problem is that these studies are often epidemiological -- X went up, and Y went up as well. Which is fine, and worthy of publication in a scientific journal (usually). Maybe X causes Y, maybe Y causes X, maybe Z causes X and Y, maybe A causes X and B causes Y and the apparent correlation is coincidental. (Maybe the original work has a stronger basis for the claim, I dunno).

By the time the news of the study has been they've been through the digestive tract of the media it morphs into "scientists say X causes Y!!!". No ifs, no buts. Even if some media outlets report it responsibly, there's always some which will tend to use the scare to sell more papers, etc. Anyone who denies a link is suddenly in the pay of the big drugs companies, or a lying politician, etc. The MMR example shows that these stories can have a real impact and can potentially cause real harm to kids, way beyond the original claimed effect.

I don't like the idea of scientific research being withheld from the general public -- that's not what we're here for, that's not what we're paid for with tax-payers money. However I like even less the way that putative or tentative links reported in scientific journals end up when they've been through the reality distortion field of the media.

Your post sounded like they just randomly picked what they would publish.
No, my comment was more aimed at the media (sorry for the confusion!).

I think it's pretty clear that something is causing the autism rates to explode the last twenty years. There have been several candidates put forward, but it's pretty clear we're still in the hunt and peck stage. I'd guess we'll see more and more of these theories put forward.

I'm not disclaiming it outright, but the number of cases diagnosed is very likely closely linked to how much we know about the disease ..

The easy way to check for that is to check the increase (or not) of the occurrence of the most severe cases. They really aren't mistakeable for anything else. It would only be relatively mild cases that would be amenable to the phenomenon you're pointing at.

I think it's pretty clear that something is causing the autism rates to explode the last twenty years. There have been several candidates put forward, but it's pretty clear we're still in the hunt and peck stage. I'd guess we'll see more and more of these theories put forward.
Perhaps too much nerd interbreeding?

I'd imagine that with the increased mobility that the population has(in addition to the rise of high-tech industry), like minded people are more likely to find each other, and perhaps autism is a genetic issue, and not one that comes from externalities.

Back