Why Xbox360 has three cores

None of the cores are "for" anything. They can be used for anything the programmers want, including sound, gfx, skinning, physics, and so on with no limit on which core can do what. They're all technically identical, and offer the same base performance.

Sounds strange, and from what we have heard from developers they are using the cores in various ways. But I do wonder what they mean by graphics though, could for example physics actually fall under that as well, since you need the physics to calculate where the graphics are?...

These things are CPUs. They're infinitely programmable. They do what you tell them to do (if you tell them right!).

Shifty Geezer said:
These things are CPUs. They're infinitely programmable. They do what you tell them to do (if you tell them right!).

Actually, they do what you tell them to do regardless, it's just that they only give the answer you wanted if you tell them right...

(I realise you know this, just being pedantic)

i think the inquirer is testing its reader base :how far they can can go with non-information content , how much stupidity can they swallow,just to estimate how cheap they can they get mouse clicks on their site.
The next step is a random article generator.

I think online publications have a new strategy these days: post an article concerning consoles, watch the hits roll in. It doesn't even matter what it's about anymore, or if it's true or not - the hits will come...

Anyway in one of Microsoft's slides at some point or another, they gave what they felt the ideal core-useage breakdown would be: one for AI, one for general game code, and the other for something else, I forget - physics maybe? Anyway I'm sure someone around here has that slide to post.

_phil_ said:
i think the inquirer is testing its reader base :how far they can can go with non-information content , how much stupidity can they swallow,just to estimate how cheap they can they get mouse clicks on their site.

At least they haven't taken it to the level that CVG did when they claimed to have been at a Konami press event regarding MGS on the Xbox that never took place.

_phil_ said:

Maybe they modified the Slashdot Story Generator.

briggsb wrote in to say that for those of you who think that Slashdot doesn't update often enough, we have created the Slashdot Story Generator (SSG). Developed in PHP and utilizing the powerful and flexible Kozzmo Generation Engine (including random typos for Added Realism(tm)), the SSG removes the annoying wait between Slashdot story postings. Just press the convenient "Next Story" button and you'll get the rush you desire when you see your chance to make the "First Post!" Oh, and remember BBspot is your source for tech humor so not all the stories generated will be true to life

Back