Why to be excited and buy the new Generation Video Cards?

grecco_julio

Newcomer
I mean, common - 600/500 bucks for a X1800XT/7800GTX while you have XBoX360 coming in the next month with a better Hardware and a cheaper price. I don't get it. You are too much anxious.

Because an XBOX-360 isn't a PC?

Because, historically shown, console gamers don't form massive modding/custom content communities for games like they do with the PC?

Because free demos and multimedia to date hasn't been as seamless or rich in availability on consoles as it is on PCs?

Because unless you own ALL the consoles, the game-per-month release isn't anywhere near what it is on the PC?

Because playing at 480 max vertical resolution sucks?

Because if you saw the XBox-360 demo Kiosk's setup at various USA Best Buy's recently, you'd see their COD2 preview/demo looks like ass?

... the list goes on.. but I don't want to fill Beyond3D's disk space as the reasons could easily fill 100's of gigs.

In a way I agree, but it has nothing to do with the price. Having sampled console play for the first time in many many years, I must say that it has been an absolute pleasure to game on a Playstation 2. The most apprent difference? The games feel polished and complete. Well, they better, because there is no easy way to update them. PC games have become an increasing mess of updates, both for the games and drivers to make them work optimally. It's becoming too much work and frustration to get to the entertainment part.

However, as a technology I think it is exciting with PC hardware and look forward to making an upgrade soon. It may not be the best time for one, with games being either sufficiently catered for by the previous generation cards and some new titles, like FEAR, seeming to require an endless suppoly of 3D processing power. And for what? I don't think it is that stunnning at all. In fact, I think it is rather mediocre looking and that's just the graphics, the rest is definite garbage.

I am sure there will be some titles that will make an upgrade to new high-end worthwhile, but it is increasingly looking like the PC space is a mess. If something like the Playstation 3 will allow me to play good looking first-person shooters with something like a mouse+keyboard input, I think I will make a complete switch and only use the PC for tasks other than gaming. (I can never let go of the PC completely, it has become too much a part of me and I suspect my gaming desires will decline more and more as my beard reaches the ground.)

and let's not forget the controls. targeting sux on consoles IMO. i only play sport titles on xbox. like tiger woods. i loved halo and gta sa on pc. hated them on xbox and ps2.

PC Games are generally seen as completely different to console games. You have your RTS, MMORPGs and FPS on PC, and platform, beat-em ups and racing games on the consoles. Yes I know this is a massive generalisation and yes there are some crossovers (NSFU) but in the main it holds true.

So the first point is what kind of games you like. If its the former, you need a PC, if its the latter, you need a console.

The second point is what the quality of visuals you want is. Consoles limit you to a fairly low res, usually with bland textures and nasty jaggy polygons. Again, I conceed this might change with the power of the Xbox360 et al, but still, to make the games look good, you will need to buy a nice TV to play them on. Which will set you back the price of a gfx card. Not looking so good anymore for consoles, is it. A nice gfx card on a nice monitor will ALWAYS look waaaay better than a console on a low res TV.

The third (and most important) point is : its not up to you what people spend their money on. I dont understand why people spend a lot on cars. Sure I'd buy an expensive car no problem, but I wouldnt then go and spend MORE on it. But people do. Go figure.

For people like me that spend our hard earned on our hobby (whatever it may be) we are not "too much anxious". We are just doing what we work to do - buy what we want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sharkfood said:
Because an XBOX-360 isn't a PC?

Because, historically shown, console gamers don't form massive modding/custom content communities for games like they do with the PC?

Because free demos and multimedia to date hasn't been as seamless or rich in availability on consoles as it is on PCs?

Because unless you own ALL the consoles, the game-per-month release isn't anywhere near what it is on the PC?

Because playing at 480 max vertical resolution sucks?

Because if you saw the XBox-360 demo Kiosk's setup at various USA Best Buy's recently, you'd see their COD2 preview/demo looks like ass?

... the list goes on.. but I don't want to fill Beyond3D's disk space as the reasons could easily fill 100's of gigs.

You can connect it to a monitor, and later, the XboX360 developers said you'll be able to connect their console to keyboards, for a better experience in FPS's.

grecco_julio said:
I mean, common - 600/500 bucks for a X1800XT/7800GTX while you have XBoX360 coming in the next month with a better Hardware and a cheaper price. I don't get it. You are too much anxious.

The last time I heard the xBox360 doesnt allow for a KB and Mouse.
FPS and some RTS will suck complete inner arse on the xBox360.

And in 5 years its spec will look like what the current xBox's looks like to the latest PC, a glorified calculator.

Consoles have their place, but not as a replacement for a PC. I'd rather a bunch of my drunken buddies break out the multiplayer on my $300 XBOX or PS2 than on my ~$1500 PC, but I still would rather play most games on my PC than my PS2 or XBOX at the end of the day.

I still have yet to see any conclusive proof that consoles have "better" hardware; if the software devs are to be believed, PC's are on pretty equal ground right now and will only get better as the future goes along. PC's already have far more storage capacity in terms of system ram, GPU ram, and raw storage, which means that games on the PC by very nature have the ability to include higher quality textures, more expansive levels, higher polygon counts, and more actors / sprites / objects on screen at any given time.

You may say that consoles can get around some of those parts by "streaming", but very high quality textures and higher polygon models are really needed if you're going to start playing in high resolution (ie HiDef) modes. You probably couldn't 100% tell how muddy a texture is at 480i resolutions, but it will become MUCH more apparent at 720p and higher resolutions.

Several things really for me.

The selection of games on the PC is just massivly larger than that of a console. Also, on the PC I can play a much wider variety, I'm not limited by my input device as the KB and mouse handle all game types easily and a cheap gamepad can handle anything else, plus I can buy very high end input devices if I desire.

Control of a PC is what I really enjoy, I can decide what I want, tweak it, I'm not limited by a set framerate that I may not be comfortable with (for the most part). I also have complete control over my graphics experience.

Mods, something the console will never have. A modification can often times be so much more fun than even the orginal game and they're free! There are hundreds upon hundreds of them, and more coming constantly. When I buy something like Unreal Tournment 2004 I'm not only getting that, I'm getting 15+ great and quality mods!

For me it just all adds up and its very clear what I want. I want the PC, more options, more variety, more controll. Its just more.

grecco_julio said:
I agree in that 500/600 bucks for a video card is nuts IMO.

So don't buy them. Pay $350 for a 7800GT instead. You'll barely be able to tell the difference in performance from a GTX.

And while I'll probably get an X360 (owned every console of the last gen), there are several reasons why it's not an immediate switch from the PC:

1) As mentioned, some genres just control better on the PC.
2) Availability. MS isn't expecting to have 5 million available until June. For many, they simply won't be available to buy until later in 06.
3) It takes time to build up a decent software library. What if you end up only liking 2 games from the 360's launch? Just wait? I know this well, as I got a PS2 and Xbox within the first month of purchase. Sold them a couple of months later after I tired of the few decent launch titles and waited a couple of years for the libraries not to suck.

A $400 graphics card for your PC brings an immediate benefit to the majority of your existing gaming software library, that's the main difference. There are a lot of great games on the PC now that will look fantastic with a 7800GT/X1800XL.

If you had to wait for new games to be coded just to run on your graphics card like a new console, of course no one would be gaming on PC's now.

4) You don't think you'll want some games on the PS3? Welcome to the console business model - exclusivity. To "just" spend $400 on an Xbox means you'll be missing out on some AAA PS3 titles. Assuming the PS3 debuts "only" at $400 at well, that's $800 in gaming hardware, the price difference isn't that great when you consider more than one console.

grecco_julio said:
You can connect it to a monitor, and later, the XboX360 developers said you'll be able to connect their console to keyboards, for a better experience in FPS's.
So what? It doesn't counter a single one of my points.. Not a one..

I had a keyboard, mouse and VGA adapter for my Dreamcast. Also have a USB mouse, steering wheel and vga-box for my PS2. It doesn't change a zebra into a leopard.

the last card I got was a 9500 Pro and that was 3 years ago. This time around I got a 1800XL and it is just amazing.......

grecco_julio said:

Because when consoles do everything I want them to do they are no longer consoles. They are a PC.

And because I'm afraid console gamers have a higher percentage of annoying little kiddies, making any sort of good multiplayer experience absolutely impossible.

PC games>console games.
Also it only has 512MB shared between cpu and graphics card (textures not as good, but superior shader effects?) and I dont own high def tv, or even a SD progessive scan tv.
While the graphics card is quite good on the 360 an ps3, graphics alone don't make a game.

Sharkfood said:
So what? It doesn't counter a single one of my points.. Not a one..

I had a keyboard, mouse and VGA adapter for my Dreamcast. Also have a USB mouse, steering wheel and vga-box for my PS2. It doesn't change a zebra into a leopard.

Howver one of your points is very wrong. 480 is not the maximum vertical resolution of the Xbox 360 is it?

Randell said:
Howver one of your points is very wrong. 480 is not the maximum vertical resolution of the Xbox 360 is it?

No, it isn't.

The Xbox360 is 720p/1080i.

Considerably higher than standard TV resolution (and probably higher than what some of you run your games at.).

Ferrari_pro said:
No, it isn't.

The Xbox360 is 720p/1080i.

Considerably higher than standard TV resolution (and probably higher than what some of you run your games at.).

FYI: 720p is a lower rez than 1024x768. I don't think many here will play at lower rez than that.
1080i is even worse.

Back