Why the fuck can't I get an UK Kindle?

Discussion in 'Politics & Ethics of Technology' started by MfA, May 8, 2011.

1. MfA

MfA
    Legend

What the hell do we have an internal market for any way?

They might be able to get away to not allow you to buy ebooks for it when living in another EU country ... copyright licenses are a bit up in the air at the moment as far as free movement of digital goods is concerned, although there is a case going before the ECJ about it at the moment. As far as I can see they aren't allowed to discriminate for physical goods though. Going to wait how the court case turns out and if Ms. Murphy wins I'm going to send in a complaint.

PS. as for why I would want one instead of a US one, you get screwed on which countries you can get web access in if you you get an US Kindle as an EU customer.

2. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Buy a paperback novel instead. Way cheaper, no stupid idiot DRM restrictions like the ones you describe, and preventing you from using the ebook you bought for your kindle to be read in ANY other device or lending the book to a friend for example...and you don't require friggin batteries to read it either.

Seriously, I totally don't get how ebooks can be starting to outsell physical books. I see almost exclusively negative features with ebooks.

Okay, so a kindle is lighter to hold than most novels, not neccessarily a paperback novel, but hardcovers, and ebooks are cheaper than hardcovers. Doubt they're cheaper than paperbacks though, and you're locking yourself into an infrastructure. Buy kindle ebooks and your kindle breaks? Buy another kindle (even though there might be a better device out there) or you cant fuckin read your ebooks anymore. That's teh suck, no 2 ways about it.

3. PixResearch

Regular

Mfa, any issue in someone sending you one from the UK? Do they actively block them in the US or is it just a problem getting hold of one?

BTW Grall, you can read amazon books on lots of devices - I have no problem reading them on ipads and iphones for example... Not tried many other devices but I can't see why you wouldn't be able to read them on future devices too *shrugs*.

Ebooks probably sell well purely because they're much easier to get ahold of than dead tree books. Someone recommends one you can download it in seconds. That's handy when you're not near a bookstore with a big enough stock to have the book you want. You can carry loads of books on one device, fetch old ones from the archive in seconds, plus they're a bit cheaper than physical books (including paperbacks). There's a lot to be said for a 'real' book but for travelling it's hard to beat a tiny lightweight device that holds loads of books and doesn't do much else. Unlimited free international 3G isn't bad either... ;)

PS you can borrow books from a library and lend books on a kindle and the battery lasts weeks on a charge reading a few hours a day so it's not much of an issue that it requires batteries. It'll usually last you a holiday or a few flights without an issue.

4. MfA

MfA
    Legend

You can have one send ... but then you have to lie and put up an UK shipping address to be able to use the UK store as well, and supposedly they have some tracking heuristics to filter out European customers. Dunno if that is based on 3G tracking or by IP tracking for ebook purchases via the regular internet.

I'm in the Netherlands ... we are forced to buy from the US store, but non US customers buying in the US store get screwed on prices. If ms. Murphy wins her European court case against discriminatory licensing for TV within the internal EU market I think Amazon is going to be fucked. I hope so any way.

5. DarthShader

Regular

Maybe getting it from DE is an option? I hear there's no trouble getting them from US.

6. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

It's probably because most of your assumptions are false and you really didn't think about it. You can use other devices, the battery length is massive, you can have your entire library in one hand, with the kindle you can buy a new book from anywhere (nationally anyway) that you get cell service, the books are not more expensive (and if you care at all for classics there's thousands of books available for free). The kindle also comes with a browser.

7. DuckThor Evil

DuckThor Evil Anas platyrhynchos
    Legend Veteran

I have the Kindle app on my Ipad and it's definitely the way I'll purchase books from now on. I don't need a bookshelf taking space and collecting dust in my flat. I haven't tried Kindle, but atleast on the Ipad the reading experience is great and I expect Kindle reader to be atleast as good.

8. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

The ipad sucks for reading compared to a kindle. So you should be good there. I think the recent kindle ads spoofing the mac/pc ads really missed the opportunity to bring that point home.

9. MfA

MfA
    Legend

Apple has instituted regulations that any ereader seller which sells books via it's own channel has to make those books available through the apple store at the same price. Apple then takes 30% of that as commission, leaving Amazon with nothing at best for the publishers using the agency model of highly questionable legality which Apple brokered ... less than nothing for publishers for which Amazon sells at less than 30% margin in it's own store.

Unless Amazon makes some deal with Apple, which would be stacking discrimination on multiple layers of collusion, the Kindle App is likely to disappear very soon. So better hang on to that iPad and your copy of the kindle reader tightly, it will probably be the last one you installed on a non jailbroken iOS device.

PS. I think what Amazon is trying to do with the UK and mainland Europe markets is bad, but I think they got forced into it by publishers ... Apple however has long ago graduated to a far worse evil than Microsoft ever was (Microsoft was never a danger to hardware innovation, Apple being more vertically integrated is). You shouldn't be supporting them with money.

10. DuckThor Evil

Legend Veteran

Well I'm buying the Kindle books through Amazon. the iBooks store selection seems to be abysmal in my region anyway.

11. MfA

MfA
    Legend

When the new regulations go into effect Amazon will have to put every book they put up on Amazon on the app store at the same retail price (for which Amazon has no margin or negative margin because of the 30% Apple commission).

As for giving them money, I meant you shouldn't have bought Apple hardware.

#11 MfA, May 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2011
  12. DuckThor Evil

Legend Veteran

It serves many useful purposes for me, but if it helps I bought it second hand.

13. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

There was a load of UK Kindle's in my local Tesco today.

14. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

The Kindle supply chain for the Amazon UK e-store is probably not properly dimensioned to serve the whole old continent.

That said, it's better to forward all the non-UK acquisitions to the american store than to have the Kindle stocks constantly depleted in the UK.

15. MfA

MfA
    Legend

Nah, it's about licensing ... EU mainland gets screwed on prices, UK doesn't. It's the same thing with Steam and Direct2Drive.

I hope the EU spanks them all ... if we are going to allow free movement of citizens and drive down wages everywhere we need to allow free movement of goods, digital as well we physical, to drive down prices everywhere.

16. Davros

Legend

u.k usually does get screwed
    ps: 30% of price or 30% of profit

17. MfA

MfA
    Legend

UK does not get screwed on Steam prices or prices for ebooks through amazon.co.uk, at least not compared to mainland Europe ... the UK gets far better prices than mainland Europe.

Apple takes 30% of retail price ... with the agency model (which Apple brokered) the margin on ebooks is also 30% of retail price. So basically Apple is trying to extinguish Amazon after embracing them (Netflix too).