Why isn't MS Office available for XBox One [XO]?

swaaye

Entirely Suboptimal
Legend
Supporter
Am I missing something? The thing is almost a PC anyway these days. Office is big money for MS. Office is on Android. Office is a subscription service now. Make it so the kiddos can do their homework on the cheap Xbox. Makes another nifty selling point. Nice exclusive title in console world lol. Microsoft wins.

You are missing the continued consequences of games games games feedback. Satya's Microsoft focuses on spreading onto everything, because that's where they've been sidelined. You can login to office online and plug in a keyboard right now, and off you go with office on Xbox... and any popular non-Microsoft product. Insert any other "Microsoft" service these days, rinse and repeat.

does xbox os support mouse now? I think xbox would eventually have office available after the mouse support.

That would be completely pointless. Nobody has a keyboard or desk near their Xbox (ok, 1% do).

It's just not the usage scenario of a console.

But with proper KB M support, and office support, Xbox cam finally be the one device needed for gaming and work.

Should be handy for those I'm dormitories

Never hurts to provide an option. People who use the consoles on their tvs lose nothing.

Is it a option they want to provide though? If they turn Xbox into a cheap PC it won't exactly please OEMs.

One of the reasons 90+% of people uses everything MS is because if you walk into a shop to buy a PC in almost all cases it will be a Windows PC. Because the consumer market is used to Windows it makes sense for the business market to go Windows as well which in turn powers the Enterprise market.

There is no reason to provide the option. Xbox is an entertainment hub. For productivity you can buy any number of other MS based products.

Other than the above I fail to see the point as well. Most people have their consoles hooked up to a TV in a living room. Even if you can connect a MK it's still a total pain to use compared to a desk.

Is it a option they want to provide though? If they turn Xbox into a cheap PC it won't exactly please OEMs.
On the flip side, what are they going to do? Bundle Lunix instead? If MS wants to sell XBox as a cheap PC, they probably could get away with it. I doubt it canablises the market much too, because an XBOx doesn't replace a laptop which is what most low-end consumers want, and of course doesn't tap the high end. I think it'd mostly be a secondary PC, with maybe some low-end losses for students.

On the flip side, what are they going to do? Bundle Lunix instead? If MS wants to sell XBox as a cheap PC, they probably could get away with it. I doubt it canablises the market much too, because an XBOx doesn't replace a laptop which is what most low-end consumers want, and of course doesn't tap the high end. I think it'd mostly be a secondary PC, with maybe some low-end losses for students.
if all you do is social media, youtube, netflix, movies and gaming... then xbox seems like a decent fit with m/kb. With the release of 4k monitors etc, and the DSR for 1080p, and variable rate refresh, in a couple of years the device would be competent sitting on a desk

Xbox would always be severely limited for the application world compared to a PC. I don't think anyone would write their thesis or create their wedding invitations on the xbox.

Who needs laptops when it can be a phone and Xbox world? I think there's potential for real computers to vanish from most consumer's minds. Just need a bit more flexibility from the console. They sit in the living room for the most part already, potentially using the console for all entertainment, so they are familiar and comfortable with it. Assimilation nearly complete lol. And yeah as mentioned, high resolution TVs don't make terrible monitors with modern UI scaling.

Working at a distance from the monitor has never been comfortable for me. Tablets are the primary computing device, but not good for Office stuff. Ultimately a tablet that connects to your monitor and KBM is probably the future. Writing or document designing several feet from the display with a KB on your lap just isn't a great work situation though. I can imagine XB's at a desk being good computers, but not TVs. Perhaps it's because of this, that MS knows people won't use Office on the TV, they they aren't bothering to port it?

Working at a distance from the monitor has never been comfortable for me. Tablets are the primary computing device, but not good for Office stuff. Ultimately a tablet that connects to your monitor and KBM is probably the future. Writing or document designing several feet from the display with a KB on your lap just isn't a great work situation though. I can imagine XB's at a desk being good computers, but not TVs. Perhaps it's because of this, that MS knows people won't use Office on the TV, they they aren't bothering to port it?

Most likely. Return on investment would probably be low. But maybe more people would use xbox with monitors at a desk if they had the apps? Like Field of Dreams for consoles ... and apps.

Without KBM support, that wouldn't be indicative of much. Plus a little marketing might be need to make people aware they even have that option. An advert from MS showing Xbox gaming by students, followed by typing up some school report while Skyping with their friends about it, would probably be a sweet little campaign and help get reluctant parents on board, even if not at all realistic in how the machine would finally be used. ;)

Without KBM support, that wouldn't be indicative of much. Plus a little marketing might be need to make people aware they even have that option. An advert from MS showing Xbox gaming by students, followed by typing up some school report while Skyping with their friends about it, would probably be a sweet little campaign and help get reluctant parents on board, even if not at all realistic in how the machine would finally be used. ;)

But I need it for school!

Back