Why is there load time in Batman Forever for the SNES?

I'm not the most tech savvy guy here so bare with me if this is a stupid question.

I know people always say carts don't have load time because they're fast or something. So how come there's load times in Batman Forever on the SNES? It had some cool digitized graphics, but the other Rare SNES games had better graphics and no load times.

Carts also have load times, its just that most of the time its so fast that you dont notice it very much but for example most snes games show a black screen or have some transition screen whenever you enter someplace new.

Anyway, I'm not sure why some games have noticable loading. Couldnt it be because while data can be loaded fast enough from the cart that the system actually needs some extra time to do other stuff? For example sim city on the DS often needs some time to load when you look up on stats. Probably because the system isnt capable of getting the data fast enough but that doesnt have anything to do with the cart. Maybe something like that is also the case for batman?

If the data on the cart is compressed it might take a while for the SNES to decompress it, so you'll need a load screen.

Carts also have load times, its just that most of the time its so fast that you dont notice it very much but for example most snes games show a black screen or have some transition screen whenever you enter someplace new.

Yeah, you're right.

If the data on the cart is compressed it might take a while for the SNES to decompress it, so you'll need a load screen.

Hmm, I think that probably is the case. These guys who made the game probably didn't have the compression technology that Rare had.

I think what DN and Colourless said is correct. Fatal Fury 1 on the Super NES had loading screens too and was very small compared to the Neo Geo version, so that's my logic. IIRC, the Super NES version was smaller than the Genesis version too.

Back