Why is Pikmin so blurry in motion?

Fox5

Veteran
I think Wave Race: Blue Storm also had this problem(and perhaps other early gamecube games, but Luigi's Mansion doesn't really have any quick movements or changing camera angles). At the time, I thought it was my TV and the bright contrasting colors, but after playing on a different display, it's very noticable in Pikmin. I don't think it's a flicker filter, since the one in Super Smash Bros Melee always blurs the image, not just in motion. And if it is some kind of intentional blur, I don't see why, as the graphics are fairly nice to look at and don't need to be blurred, and it is just kind of sickening.
Eh, anyhow, who else has Pikmin 2 at the top of their want lists, and currently rates Pikmin up there with Super Mario Bros.?

I have to say, it has to be your display, I have played the crap out of every game you mention and have never seen any blur to them at all.

what do you have LCD?

I remember reading on IGN at around the time that Pikmin came out that EAD used some kind of motion blur to clean up the image or something. It's not that apparent IMO.

Pikin looks blurry because it runs at 30 fps and uses a fake motion blur - pretty much just like Grand Theft Auto 3 / Vice City.

Aye, the blur is intentional and while I don't usually like effects like that.. I thought they executed it rather well.

Oh, and yes.. IMO Pikmin > Super Smash Bros Melee.. although SSBM has multiplayer and much more gameplay and replay value. Pikmin 2 might just eclipse SSBM in that department though, with its improvements. BTW, I think that the blur was used partially to make slowdown less apparent.. but the game only slowed much below 25-30fps once or twice on me. On the boss of the game with 100 Pikmin on-screen, and on that bridge on the far end of the 3rd level with 100 Pikmin.

Well, that solves it.

BTW, I had both a TV with component video with no progressive scan, and a monitor with a component to vga converter(and thus progressive scan) and it was noticable. I'd guess Wave Race also has the blur, since I think it runs at 30 fps too. Or maybe it's point sampled textures that just look bad in motion, but I don't think so.

The only time I saw slow down was when I intentionally ran 100 red Pikmin into the water to kill them all, whhen all the ghosts start to rise and all the transparency kicks in the frame rate will drop well below 30fps but this situation would never actually happen in general play of the game.

Pikmin uses obvious motion blur... just look any light source while moving and rotating the camera at the same time.

Back