Why is Bioware being so "nice" to PC gamers?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by MfA, Oct 30, 2009.

1. MfA

MfA
    Legend

Looking around for Dragon Age Collector's edition a while back I stumbled across a couple of sites with overall sales rankings. Pre-orders for the PC versions of Dragon Age/ME2 were pretty much universally higher, sales rankings of ME platinum edition were mostly higher for the PC as well (the original versions weren't on most of the sites any more, for one platform or the other).

Given the amount of ME sold via digital downloads for the PC as well and the fact that ME2 is seeing a simultaneous launch on the PC I'm left wondering ... what is their best selling platform really?

Anyone know for sure?

2. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Bioware have a decently long history with PC gamers, fairly consistently producing high quality PC games, specifically CRPGs (which are really the domain of PC's). In return, PC gamers buy their products. Thus they are nice to us :)

3. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

How do you explain Jade Empire being released on consoles 1.5 years before the PC and Mass Effect being delayed on the PC for 6 months? Experiments? Different gameplay for different platforms?

4. MfA

MfA
    Legend

They certainly changed their tune for ME2 though ... just wondering why the change of heart (Dragon Age isn't really strange, it was a PC title from the outset).

PS. well we still got screwed from the fact that DA was delayed of course, but that's less painful than being second served ... I'm sure in the past 6 months they did some console dumbing down, to suit controllers etc, which would have made future DLCs hard to create had they not mirrored those changes in the PC version. Regrettable, but expected for any multiplatform release with continued support.

#4 MfA, Oct 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2009
  5. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I'd put them down to experiments for both gameplay and business yes, this was their first real branching into the console market right? With Mass Effect especially, they definitely got a taste of the kind of money they can make on the console but one would hope they also didn't want to abandon their PC background completely. Now we have a massive AAA title that looks to be a combination of their console products and older PC RPGs.

6. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

How about the change in publishers? Given Microsoft's actions of late, they'd have a reason to delay any PC port indefinitely. EA would not have such an issue.

7. Richard

Veteran

Good catch.

8. MfA

MfA
    Legend

Money talks, EA would want a cut from the pay off but if Microsoft was willing to pay enough for the delay it would get delayed. I just think that in retrospect they realised Microsoft got it cheap the first time.

Any way, to reiterate ... what is their best selling platform really? (ME and onwards.) Anyone know for sure?

9. Richard

Veteran

For that period only ME, and the upcoming DA, matter and I'm not sure you can extract useful information from ME's sales numbers considering the release date discrepancy. Anyway, according to this, 1.6 million sales for XBOX 360 after a month and a half, which I doubt the PC has managed to surpass YTD. The PC version was also plagued by the DRM controversy.

10. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

KOTOR1 was an Xbox exclusive for awhile too so it was nothing new to them with ME. And as to console presence in general, before KOTOR they had a MDK2 port on Dreamcast.

I'd put the PC delays down to some sort of agreements with MS. They were dead silent about ME PC for the longest time and that was bullshit. I went out and bought the 360 version and played it on a friend's console because there was zero talk of it coming to PC.

I found the game pretty disappointing in the end though. It felt like I was just playing KOTOR with some new graphics and bad realtime combat. Even the plot was very similar. Way overrated IMO.....

#10 swaaye, Oct 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2009