Why does UT3 do this? (crazy gfx-whore issue)

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by reese016, Nov 27, 2009.

1. reese016

Newcomer

Ok, I'm a total graphics whore and love playing UT3 partially because of the awesome engine, textures and shader effects etc. But once I saw this strange glitch that occurs everywhere, I couldn't unsee it! I think it occurred at one point with ATI driver upgrades or with an UT3 patch... Basically: all textures that have these specific layers are sorta sliding subtly all over the place.

Look:
    http://www.twitvid.com/27B03

2. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Yeah! I've seen it occur also. It doesn't happen often enough to really bother me, but damn, it sure looks weird.

UT3 is a cool looking game though, very slick and very speedy. It runs at 60+ fps ALL the time pretty much regardless of what happens on-screen at 1920*1200 res on just one of my 4890s. Of course, I never managed to get AA to work in that game, so I'm not sure how that might affect performance.

Then again, edge aliasing isn't a very big problem for some reason, I suppose because there's not a lot of big contrast changes between surfaces; everything's metallic grey, and lots of shadows and dark corners everywhere... Texture aliasing is a much bigger issue, but it'll probably be years and years before a workable system to deal with that is dreamt up by GPU makers. :(

3. reese016

Newcomer

4. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Is that a parallax map?

5. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Yeah I've seen that in UE3 games. Don't think it's a ATI issue since I have a GTX260.

6. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

No wai! :) It's just the texture coords bugging out completely for some reason... I remember similar things happening on the N64 if you got real close to a polygon, all sorts of weird things happened then. Most decidedly not the same cause here though, but it's kind of like meeting an old friend again in a way. ;)

7. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Ah ok, couldn't tell from the low qual vid. :p

8. reese016

Newcomer

Damn, wish I could fix it, pretty sure the earlier versions of UT3 didn't have it.

9. Davros

Legend

have You loaded the map into the editor ?

10. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

There is a brute force solution, with excellent results and readily available. High quality supersampling (not just ordered grid oversampling : the hardware can use good positions for samples). It's supported by the Voodoo5 5500 and radeon 5700/5800 series ;)

it would be good to know if UT3 can be made to run in this mode. here's the thread about SSAA :
    http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=55303

11. Davros

Legend

the v5 wont run ut3 will it ?
    as its a dx6 card

12. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

well yes I was speaking about the feature per se, voodoo5 won't run anything that requires pixel shaders.

13. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Yeah, but I don't consider that workable right now... It slows down the framerate too much at high resolutions in many games even on the 5870.

14. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

you can drop resolution, play with details, run a not so heavy game etc.
    it was workable in 2001 that way, why not in 2009 ;).

15. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Discrete pixel screens are not ideal for running software at non-native resolutions... Besides, windows itself is not ideal for that, as it scrunches up the desktop and anything on it including icons, window positions etc if you run a fullscreen app at a smaller than full resolution. One of my biggest peeves with windows since FOREVER, actually, and microsoft has NEVER fixed it. Really irritating.

Running a 'not so heavy' game isn't quite a workable solution either if the heavy game is the one I want to play, now is it! :D

16. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Not a Windows problem, and this almost exclusively only happens with older games and a very few newer games. Almost all the new games I've run in the past year haven't messed with window sizes when going to full screen. And this is with 1200x1600 windows dropping down into a fullscreen game starting up at far lower resolutions like 1280x1024 for example.

The only thing that still gets messed up slightly is if you have a dual monitor setup, where windows on the secondary monitor may get pushed onto the primary monitor.

Something changed in the past couple years with how games code their rendering or something as this was something I've noticed gradually improving.

Perhaps on WinXP it's still a problem, but in both Vista and Win7, you only get this with older apps and the rare newer app (usually with graphics that look like they were coded 5 years ago).

Regards,
    SB

17. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

that bug doesn't much occur to me, it depends a lot on the game (some old that don't behave well with alt-tab)
    but I don't use desktop icons.
    still on CRT as I want cheap, 100Hz or more capable, no backlight bleeding and vertical vision angles. so I've nothing against flat monitors but I'm still waiting.

sure, non-native is bad on a LCD but I tried it on a recent display and it looks surprisingly good. Stay away from it for small text, but it made progress.
    Presumably a greatly anti-aliased, smooth game will scale well. Scaling is not inherently evil as we do it all the time with digital video.

now it's only about you using what you like better. supersampling is an option that maybe 1% people will use but that I feel is great. I would use it on a radeon 5670.
    it's useful if you go dual GPU too. helps using the grunt if it's wasted, and allows good performance scaling too.

18. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

I read of a possible workaround by the way, using the right-side monitor as the primary one, that way the (0,0) pixel is on the right, and pixels on the secondary have negative X coordinates.
    then it shouldn't mess up anymore ;)

19. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Hehe, I might try that when I rearrange my desk setup. Right now primary has to be on the left due to the way things are setup. Will be a pain readjusting to going to the left to get to the start menu. Currently a 24" monitor in portrait for secondary with task bar up at the top 5 rows deep (vertical), with bottom even with 30" monitor.

Doesn't quite match up as well since it's lower DPI, but it's nice to just be able to drag something with small text over and it's instantly a bit more readable. :D

If ATI ever allows Portrait - Landscape - Portrait combo for Eyefinity, I'll go back to a 30" flanked on both sides by 20" monitors in portrait view. That'd be my dream setup for gaming. Large 30" for primary view and 2x20" in portrait for peripheral view. 4960x1600 res.../drool.

Regards,
    SB