Why does Oblivion get sluggish in Bravil?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Jay Why, May 20, 2006.

1. Jay Why

Newcomer

Can you help me figure this out? Oblivion runs fine in the forests and indoors, but it slows to a crawl in Bravil, and in the market district of Imperial City (more-so during the day.)

P4 2.8, 1gig ram, 9800GS, on-board sound.

I used the optimization at Atomic and got good results, except in the above areas. I almost think that in Imperial City it gets sluggish because there are so many characters walking around. What gives? I'm guessing its the CPU bottle-necking, but what can I do to improve the situation. I'm thinking of getting a soundcard anyways, is it possible that will help any by taking some load off the CPU?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated!!! This is getting annoying! :evil:

2. micron

micron Diamond Viper 550
    Veteran

What is a 9800GS?

3. SugarCoat

Veteran

I dont know about those places specifically but i miss my 2Gig. Had to pull one stick due to memory errors so now im stuck to 1gig (due to AMD) now it stutters like crazy and my computer is considerably better then yours.

Try closing all background programs like IMs (i personally run all kinds of junk like 2 IMs and p2p software+ Antivirus and firewall) and see what happens. If its still the same it may just be your CPU/GPU getting bogged. Bravil is one of the nicer looking towns and the Market District has alot of AI and NPC which can do a number on any PC performance wise. Does it do the same thing at night there? And when was the last time you updated drivers?

Soundcards dont do much at all for helping load. Even the best soundcards.

#3 SugarCoat, May 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2006
  4. Jay Why

Newcomer

Oops.... make that a 7800 GS CO

My stupid.

5. Sobek

Sobek Locally Operating
    Veteran

I know that feeling. A while back, I was running 3x 1gb sticks of low latency Geil stuff, and I was happy as can be with it. Then TWO of the sticks developed severe errors, and couldn't go 5 seconds into Memtest without carking it and producing thousands upon thousands of errors...So I sent them off to be replaced, and for a week I was stuck with 1gb.

My god...I went from silky smooth BF2 play to stutter-central for a good 20-30 minutes, after which it gradually cleared up. Load times in almost all games were greatly increased...I couldn't bear it. F.E.A.R made my hdd's swap like mad. As soon as the replacement ram arrived, I was in heaven...I swear, I have to get some backup ram in case some ever dies again :p

As for Oblivion, I too find certain areas that, while showing no plausible reason to actually run worse than other areas with equal or more detail, run quite sluggish. The only thing I can think of is perhaps the increased amounts of NPC's, putting a lot of work onto the CPU for pathfinding and whatnot, creating a bottleneck. Then again the whole game runs like trash 90% of the time anyway so you pretty much learn to live with it..and that patch, my god it did nothing for the game bar a few quest tweaks, how sad.

#5 Sobek, May 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2006
  6. SugarCoat

Veteran

look, the patch removed the nipples, thats all the people really cared about. It was a great patch!

7. Jay Why

Newcomer

Soundcards dont do much at all for helping load. Even the best soundcards.[/QUOTE]

Ok - I'm not opposed to upping mem. I was hoping taking the sound functions off the mobo might help...

It isn't as bad during night time in Market District - thats how I came to concluding it was the NPCs.

I tried updating to the newest beta driver - but it would lock my system as soon as I tried loading a game. Same thing happened when I tried reducing the render ahead frames - lock on game load.

I figure it must be the CPU because I got almost identical frame rates when I dropped from 1024x768 to 800x600.

8. KimB

Legend

I think it's a texture management issue. Are you, by any chance, using any of the big texture mods?

9. Gollum

Veteran

I envy you guys, I'd love to actually have some sort of consistent stutter. What I get is copletely random performance problems! I'm in a hugely graphics intense area and get like 30 fps - then I enter a house and once I come back out, I'm suddenly at 7 fps in the same area as before. If I travel around a bit, toggle one or two loading screens maybe, the framerate returns to normal for a while. I've learned to live with it, most of the time its playable enough. I'm lost as to what could cause this though...

10. KimB

Legend

Well, the only thing that should be able to cause inconsistent performance would be memory management (which may or may not include texture management). You could try tweaking the in-game memory cache settings (there is a tweak guide somewhere that describes this), or setting them back to default if you've already tweaked. In addition, if you've installed any high-res texture packs, you could try removing those.

Finally, what video card do you have, Gollum?

11. SugarCoat

Veteran

Same high smooth FPS or same very bad FPS?

Hope thats a northwood and not a celeron. Oblivion is really just a system hog. Your at the point jay where its hard for me personally to recommend a substantial upgrade be it memory, a new card, or a new proc on your current computer. For a game like oblivion that would be every component because the game can use it. You arent by chance ready for Socket M2 or Conroe are you? ;)

12. xatnys

Regular

Make usage of pcb in the console. Also, the market district in imperial city is quite active during the day. NPCs don't have LOD and they aren't culled if you don't see them (to an extent), so it's likely that your system is being stressed due to that. It's possible that the same might be occuring in Bravil, but I'm not sure. Is Bravil the very woody city i.e. most of the buildings are wooden? If so I do recall getting less performance there than other cities.

13. Jay Why

Newcomer

I'm not using the hi-res textures - I'm holding off on any more changes until I get better performance.

SugarCoat - I mean when I drop resolution, I get the same framerate as the higher resolution (good indoors, sluggish in Market and Bravil.)

Not really looking to up the mobo/CPU - which sucks because thats where I'd get the performance I'd want. I just upgraded the GPU and PSU to get me by until 360's price comes down and has more games available. (Gears of War may just cause me to make an impulse buy regardless of price though! :lol:

(Yeah - Bravil is the wood house city.)

Has anyone played Oblivion on a 360? From what I've seen it looks great and if the framerate runs consistant - which I'm guessing it would - maybe I should just do the 360 thing....

14. KimB

Legend

I don't know why anybody would want to get this game on the 360, since you can't make use of any mods (except perhaps a few official ones). Anyway, try dropping the texture quality down a notch. If that helps, then it's texture management that's the problem.

One possible way to improve things could be to play around with your AGP aperture size. Either small or large values could help here: small values may help if you're running out of system RAM, large values if it's swapping between the aperture and system RAM that is the problem.

15. Doomtrooper

Veteran

Playing on a 50" HDTV LCD looks amazing that would be one good reason, along with fact you can relax on a lazy boy vs. huddled up to a PC monitor.

16. Gollum

Veteran

I'm pretty sure its a texture management thing, problem is that I've come to the conclusion I can't do anything about it. Getting a 512MB video card would probably do the trick, but since I won't do that (my X800XL does fine otherwise), I'll just have to live with it. I haven't really installed any high-res texture packs, just some texture replacements (which are the same res as the originals). I guess its the "essential" LOD and normal map mods that cause the mess, but removing those would degrade the visuals outdoors quite a bit...

17. KimB

Legend

Typically, if texture management is the problem, it gets fixed by newer drivers down the road a bit. If it's memory management by the game, however, I really can't say whether or not it'd be fixed.

18. kyleb

Veteran

Framerate on the 360 version isn't consistant at all, many situations in the game will put the framerate in the low teens. On top of that there is lots of hitching from loading and occasional hard lockups as well.

19. Martin Eddy

Regular

I've never had it lock up on me but there are some serious framerate issues in outdoor areas.

20. NMC

NMC
    Newcomer

Bravil FPS Optimiser

My First Post...... Ive just made a mod for Oblivion that attempts to 'fix' this. Hope it helps. Find it at TES Source (under 'misc' files for Oblivion).