Why does captured DV colour look so dull?

I'm capturing video from my Sony TRV-38 miniDV (single CCD) and the colours of each frame on the computer are just plain 'dull' in comparison to the original. I take it that this is a common problem since two of my friends also experience the exact same problem but I couldn't find any explaination online.

While at a festival tonight I saw a guy shoot with a VX2000 (drool). I talked to him about this and he said he never experienced such a problem. But he said he captured using some pro capture cards ($1000) and that it could my firewire setup.

Although I/O might cause dropped frames but doesn't explain how the the colour can be changed to dark / flat / wasted out.

I've tried virtual dub, Adobe Premier and the colour is the same.
Any ideas?

It has nothing to do with your firewire setup...more to do with the DV codecs being used, or even your video gamma overlay perhaps.

Try transferring captured DV back out to tape...you should notice that none of the color fidelity is lost.

Joe DeFuria said:
It has nothing to do with your firewire setup...more to do with the DV codecs being used, or even your video gamma overlay perhaps.

I agree. This is almost certainly your graphics cards overlay setup that is causing the problem. The transfer of DV video from the camera to your PC over firewire is lossless (assuming you aren't dropping frames).

Thanks guys. :)

I am using my laptop which has a ATI Radeon to capture. Where should I tweak in order to change the way DV colour is being captured? I have to say I'm shocked you guys did't come across this problem. I have a friend with a Canon miniDV and NV card, same problem. Another with a Sony and Intel graphics, same problem.

I am guessing it's not the graphics card. Do I tweak the colour space, codec or what? Is there a 'standard setup' that I can follow as to get accurate results?

Thanks.

Again, it has nothing to do with how it's "captured." (Technically, DV is not captured, but literally copied to your PC.) It's how it's being decoded / diplayed.

Try going to your ATI control panel (Advanced Display settings), and click on the "Overlay" tab, and fiddle with gamma, brightness / contrast, etc.

EDIT: To be clear...you ARE using a firewire port to "capture" the video, correct? (Not a video-in port / Radeon.)

Back