Why do people think that Killzone 2 and Killzone 3 don't surpass the 2005 KZ2 trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSman

Banned
The only things that the E3 2005 KZ2 trailer have over the retail KZ2 and KZ3 are the animations and smoke effects. I mean, that trailer may look impressive back then but when you look a little closer you can see that it uses KZ1 gun models and have pretty average textures quality. the retail KZ2 and ESPECIALLY KZ3 surpass that trailer in so many ways - significantly better texture quality, deterence lighting, far more particle and special effects etc..etc.. I'm still amazed at just how awesome Killzone 3 looks - definitely the best looking console shooter this gen IMO.

KZ2 is pretty close to the pre-rendered trailer (give or take here and there), KZ3 is impossible to compare since environments are not 1:1. But the real point is: do people actually say that? The way I see it is that this is a straw man thread. It's like asking (not you directly, it's just an example): does your mother know you get paid to kill people? Both yes and no answers are bad, bad, bad. Before you ask a question "why do X think/say Y" you should probably substantiate it with some examples of X thinking/saying Y, that are not super old and are not obvious trolling. ;)

Please don't take it the wrong way. I didn't create this thread to stir things up. I'm just curious in hearing other views and tech analysis.

Easy enough to spot the differences as far as I'm concerned. You can still spot hard polygonal edges in the actual game. You can't do that in the trailer. Then there's other stuff like the volumetric explosions and the way stuff gets torn to pieces by them. The crisp textures and the pristine image quality are another dead giveaway. The trailer looks pretty much like the game's intro movie, and that does look quite a bit better than the game as well.

I just had a horrible nightmare. I was with a big group of friends, and I think we were trying to go to a house party. It was winter time, and I needed to change my clothes. For some reason I decided to change my clothes in the shopping mall before we got there. When I went inside the mall, it basically turned into a sewer, where I was chased by two homeless men. I beat them up pretty badly, and instead of leaving them for dead on an embankment beside the highway, I decided to call for help. Some people were supposed to come and pick them up. At that point, my friends were there again, and we ended up back inside the mall, which everyone had decided was haunted. As I was trying to change my clothes in front of everyone, in what looked like a shelter with bunks set up near a lobby area in the mall, a weird mannequin came to life and walked down an escalator. There were a bunch of people, including me, that thought that was really funny. Then a living vacuum cleaner came up the escalator as I was trying to change my underwear in front of everyone. It was really frustrating because the underwear was plastic and didn't have an elastic waist. It looked like the underwear was made from clear plastic, and that was pretty funny and we all made jokes about it. Meanwhile, there was some haunted stuff going on, and some people were stupidly trying to convince everyone that we should turn off all of the lights to help us hide.

I just had a horrible nightmare. I was with a big group of friends, and I think we were trying to go to a house party. It was winter time, and I needed to change my clothes. For some reason I decided to change my clothes in the shopping mall before we got there. When I went inside the mall, it basically turned into a sewer, where I was chased by two homeless men. I beat them up pretty badly, and instead of leaving them for dead on an embankment beside the highway, I decided to call for help. Some people were supposed to come and pick them up. At that point, my friends were there again, and we ended up back inside the mall, which everyone had decided was haunted. As I was trying to change my clothes in front of everyone, in what looked like a shelter with bunks set up near a lobby area in the mall, a weird mannequin came to life and walked down an escalator. There were a bunch of people, including me, that thought that was really funny. Then a living vacuum cleaner came up the escalator as I was trying to change my underwear in front of everyone. It was really frustrating because the underwear was plastic and didn't have an elastic waist. It looked like the underwear was made from clear plastic, and that was pretty funny and we all made jokes about it. Meanwhile, there was some haunted stuff going on, and some people were stupidly trying to convince everyone that we should turn off all of the lights to help us hide.

You ok? Dont start eating faces you hear, m'kay :LOL:

I think Scott is saying he might as well just be dreaming than to have read the OP in this thread in 2012. :)

Please don't take it the wrong way. I didn't create this thread to stir things up. I'm just curious in hearing other views and tech analysis.

This is a topic that has been brought up so many times on this forum, and each time it ended badly. I suggest you just use the search button, read what's been said before, and if you have any questions left, keep them to yourself. :LOL:

This is a topic that has been brought up so many times on this forum, and each time it ended badly. I suggest you just use the search button, read what's been said before, and if you have any questions left, keep them to yourself. :LOL:

I've already searched but couldn't find any solid result. Can you give me a link to those discussions? :smile:

The reason why I created this thread is to include Killzone 3 as well - which look even better than KZ2 on many levels.

How about a different question: why does it even matter if pre-rendered scene is better/worse than in-engine animation? What kind of technical analysis would you like to hear? What technical aspect of offline and online rendering should be compared and how?

One sentence explanation for dummies in Tarzanian English:
If PS3 run Killzone 2005 trailer in real time, then explode.

Now you know why Killzone 2 and 3 are not on the same league ;)

To my opinion KZ2 even surpass the CG trailers, but expected that real time graphic can achieve a CG graphic is something of utopistic even in the future console...
P.S.
I forgot about KZ3... indeed I found it forgettable even tech wise, the jungle part especially don't impress me particurarly

Last edited by a moderator:
If you play KZ2 on the biggest plasma you can find, with a fat audio system to back it up.. Turn off the hud (leave crosshair on though)
The first levels are total pandemonium. The audio and the graphics are so dense you'll really feel your there. The way the enemies get destroyed by your bullets. The reloading animation...

people who have experienced this will claim the game surpassed the 2005 trailer.

Other people, who have never played the game, but who viewed it on youtube on their low budget TN panel tfts will of course say that the image quality doesn't compare, that the textures cannot compare. That the smoke in the trailer is more real, and so on.

The truth.. lies in between imo :)
On a pre rendered versus realtime level, only fools would claim that quincunx can compare to 16x ssaa. On an emotional level though.. I'd say they are really close

If you play KZ2 on the biggest plasma you can find, with a fat audio system to back it up.. Turn off the hud (leave crosshair on though)
The first levels are total pandemonium. The audio and the graphics are so dense you'll really feel your there. The way the enemies get destroyed by your bullets. The reloading animation...

people who have experienced this will claim the game surpassed the 2005 trailer.

I played it on a 65" plasma at home with a full audio setup, and I can't say I agree. I never understood the fascination with KZ2, to me there are better looking, better playing, and more intense games out there.

I thought you were only allowed to post in the hockey threads....mods?

Thread isn't going anywhere with such arbitrary qualifiers between real-time rendering and offline professional grade CG assets & rendering quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back